Thank you GMO!

petros
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
REGINA — Saskatchewan producers have harvested the largest crop in the province’s history at 38.4 million tonnes, which is 40 per cent above 2012 production and 48 per cent above the 10-year average, according to the latest crop production estimates from Statistics Canada.

The province’s canola crop is estimated to be the largest on record at 8.9 million tonnes, an increase of 37.5 per cent over 2012. Average yields rose 50 per cent to 37.6 bushels per acre, Statistics Canada said Wednesday.

Production levels for wheat, canola, peas, lentils, chickpeas, oats and flax are all estimated to be above the 10-year average, the federal agency said. For example, wheat production in the province increased by nearly 44 per cent over 2012 levels.

“Saskatchewan producers deserve credit for the effort and dedication that went into this record-breaking crop,” Agriculture Minister Lyle Stewart said in a press release Wednesday.

Stewart noted that producers exceeded the province’s goal to increase crop production to 36.6 million tonnes by 2020 as set out last fall in the Saskatchewan Plan for Growth. “We set an ambitious goal for crop production and our producers proved they were up to the challenge,” Stewart said.

Across Canada, farmers this year will harvest the most wheat ever and produce a record canola crop, according to the federal government survey.

Wheat production, including durum, will probably expand to 37.5 million tonnes, up from September’s forecast of 33 million tonnes, Statistics Canada said. Wheat production is forecast to rise 38 per cent from 27.2 million tonnes in 2012 and exceed the previous record harvest of 32.1 million tons in 1990.

The canola harvest in Canada, the world’s largest grower of the oilseed, may climb 29.5 per cent to 18 million tonnes, up from September’s forecast of 16 million tonnes and surpassing the record output of 14.6 million tonnes in 2011, according to the report.
Statistics Canada interviewed about 33,400 farmers from Oct. 26 to Nov. 13 to determine the production estimate.

But the federal government forecast may not fully show the size of the crop as farmers are conservative in their estimates, one analyst said. Harvests this year across the Prairie provinces may rise 14 per cent to 80.8 million tonnes, thanks to higher average yields, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada said Nov. 21. And there’s still concern that there won’t be enough rail capacity to move the record crop.

With files from Bloomberg News

© Copyright (c) The Regina Leader-Post

taxslave
Increasing the amount of frankenfood is not something to brag a bout. Glad I can't eat wheat.

petros
There is no GMO wheat. Barley and canola is what I grew this year. Over 2200 tonnes.

Liberalman
Bigger the crop lower the sale price now that there is no Wheat Board

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Petros certainly doesn't seem to be complaining. If he grew the exact same amount as last year, then it would kinda suck for him, but if he keeps pace with the increased supply I'm sure he is more than happy.

Cliffy

GMO Zombie Apocalypse - YouTube

Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

There is no GMO wheat. Barley and canola is what I grew this year. Over 2200 tonnes.

Monsanto baffled by reappearance of GMO ‘zombie wheat’ in Oregon | The Raw Story

Walter

now that there is no Wheat Board

Thank God for that.

petros

Yup, you're right. Barley is paying half of what it did in July but when contracted you can lock in on the higher price before harvest IF you make that grade.

Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Petros certainly doesn't seem to be complaining. If he grew the exact same amount as last year, then it would kinda suck for him, but if he keeps pace with the increased supply I'm sure he is more than happy.

I lost my winter wheat and had to reseed. The yield of the barley made up for the losses.
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Thank God for that.

What makes you think that? Are you a producer? Try getting a rail car to move your product to market.

Walter
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What makes you think that? Are you a producer? Try getting a rail car to move your product to market.

Less gubmint involvement is always better for the economy.

Tonington

Less gubmint involvement is always better for the economy.

Were you off planet during the recession? Countries like Canada, with better regulation, performed better than countries with less. Canada was a shining example.

Can you comment on transport costs Petros? Has much of your 2200 tonnes made it to port? I'm curious how this affected producers like my uncle in Viceroy. They run a small rail co-operative, but that will only get their grain so far...Assiniboia. Prices are good, but that doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't get access to the market...

damngrumpy
+1
I still do like like the concept of GMO can't agree on this issue.
I am not sold on the idea its good for the tree fruit industry.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Were you off planet during the recession? Countries like Canada, with better regulation, performed better than countries with less. Canada was a shining example.

Which country had less regs than us?

darkbeaver
The market revolt against GMOs has been fueled by poor harvests and expensive dangerous herbicide dependency, the escape problems is getting worse and the list of countries banning the garbage is growing.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

I still do like like the concept of GMO can't agree on this issue.
I am not sold on the idea its good for the tree fruit industry.

Might be good for industry in the short term but not good for the long term health of your customers.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

The market revolt against GMOs has been fueled by poor harvests and expensive dangerous herbicide dependency, the escape problems is getting worse and the list of countries banning the garbage is growing.

Incoherent garbage. Poor harvests encourage GMO's because they are resistant to bugs and disease.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. Isaac Asimov

Tonington
+1

Which country had less regs than us?

How many countries can you name that won't allow big banks to merge, or that limit a single shareholder to 20% of the common shares of a bank? Again, if the fact that Canada is more tightly regulated than our major trading partners comes as a surprise to you, then again I have to wonder where have you been for the past half decade?

Some light reading for you:
Why didn't Canada have a banking crisis in 2008 (or in 1930, or 1907, or ...)?

no new posts