un freaking believable

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
TORONTO – The family of 85-year-old Frank Meyers has owned and farmed his land for 215 years, but he’s been threatened with losing it to the Canadian government for the last seven.
“I’m just trying to hold my ground and keep it,” he said. “I’m not giving them an inch.”
Despite declarations of standing his ground, military police are stationed outside his barns with “No Trespassing” signs to make sure he doesn’t enter. Police were also called when Global News reporter Jennifer Tryon was on the property, interviewing Meyers.

Meyers said the land was donated from the King George III of England in 1798 to his family “perpetually” and they’ve been there ever since. He grows corn, beans, peas, hay, oats and barley.

“We don’t grow as much of that now because the military said they’re going to send the Humane Society to take my cattle out,” said Meyers. “I [sold] 28 head of cattle.”

But CFB Trenton and the Department of National Defence (DND) are expropriating the farmland to build a new training and administrative campus for the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM).
The government took control of the farming buildings about a year and a half ago, but Meyers still lives in the “old house on our side of the railroad tracks.”

Elderly farmer fights for 215-yr-old land lost to feds | Globalnews.ca

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Canada is a very big country with lots of free space the military can use. Why choose to do it on land someone owns? It makes no sense. I hope he puts up a good fight.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
TORONTO – The family of 85-year-old Frank Meyers has owned and farmed his land for 215 years, but he’s been threatened with losing it to the Canadian government for the last seven.
“I’m just trying to hold my ground and keep it,” he said. “I’m not giving them an inch.”
Despite declarations of standing his ground, military police are stationed outside his barns with “No Trespassing” signs to make sure he doesn’t enter. Police were also called when Global News reporter Jennifer Tryon was on the property, interviewing Meyers.

Meyers said the land was donated from the King George III of England in 1798 to his family “perpetually” and they’ve been there ever since. He grows corn, beans, peas, hay, oats and barley.

“We don’t grow as much of that now because the military said they’re going to send the Humane Society to take my cattle out,” said Meyers. “I [sold] 28 head of cattle.”

But CFB Trenton and the Department of National Defence (DND) are expropriating the farmland to build a new training and administrative campus for the Canadian Special Operations Forces Command (CANSOFCOM).
The government took control of the farming buildings about a year and a half ago, but Meyers still lives in the “old house on our side of the railroad tracks.”

Elderly farmer fights for 215-yr-old land lost to feds | Globalnews.ca

I just watched this on Global News. What a crock of Bullsh*t!

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Canada is a very big country with lots of free space the military can use. Why choose to do it on land someone owns? It makes no sense. I hope he puts up a good fight.

There is lots of crown land in Canada but most of it is in the middle of nowhere. Location does matter.

This is simply part of how our country works. Few major infrastructure projects can happen without this.

It isn't like the government just takes your land. You are entitled to fair market compensation.

It can suck for some individuals, but we wouldn't have any highways, airports, subways, etc etc if the government could not do this.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is lots of crown land in Canada but most of it is in the middle of nowhere. Location does matter.

This is simply part of how our country works. Few major infrastructure projects can happen without this.

It isn't like the government just takes your land. You are entitled to fair market compensation.

It can suck for some individuals, but we wouldn't have any highways, airports, subways, etc etc if the government could not do this.

The guys family has had the land for centuries. I doubt "market value" means a whole lot to him. He wouldnt be fighting this if he was satisfied.

Im well aware that this happens fairly often and has in the past. That doesnt mean I or anyone else have to agree with it. Personally I think the practice should end. They can still build all of the things you mentioned in different areas. It may be inconvenient to the government but I dont really care. Id consider this theft. A more gentle form of theft but theft nonetheless.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Canadian Government is behaving like most governments they don't care
about democracy your rights or anything else. Remember the government
always believes in Democracy as long as its convenient. If not the belief
system changes.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Canadian Government is behaving like most governments they don't care
about democracy your rights or anything else. Remember the government
always believes in Democracy as long as its convenient. If not the belief
system changes.

In a long career of involvement with highway design, construction and right of way acquisition, there are times when property must be acquired to the chagrin of the individual for the benefit of the majority by paying "fair market value". In this case given the length of the tenure and the age of the owner, I think every effort should have been made to avoid this seemingly heartless remedy.

The guys family has had the land for centuries. I doubt "market value" means a whole lot to him. He wouldnt be fighting this if he was satisfied.

Im well aware that this happens fairly often and has in the past. That doesnt mean I or anyone else have to agree with it. Personally I think the practice should end. They can still build all of the things you mentioned in different areas. It may be inconvenient to the government but I dont really care. Id consider this theft. A more gentle form of theft but theft nonetheless.

With the exception of linear infrastructure like roads, pipelines and power lines.

On which side?

Well, I was taking the side of the victim of course!

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

They could not build any of the things I mentioned without the use of these laws, unless these different areas you speak of are in the absolute middle of nowhere.

They don't go looking to expropriate people's property against their will. They always look at options and try to come to a deal before anything like this happens, but they need this legal option when they can't otherwise come to an agreement.

If these laws did not exist, it would be way too easy for landowners to hold the state hostage for huge sums of money should the state ever want to build anything.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
So a piece of land donated by the King in perpetuity back in 1798 has less strength in law than some treaties signed later?

Didn't the government of Canada agree to abide by and take on all agreements and responsibilities related to the Crown upon confederation?

I don't get it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This guy is different. He has ownership of the land when the rest of us don't. He has property rights. We don't.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Thats right location DOES matter. This is prime farm land as history has proven. To remove it from active production to expand a playground for the military is just plain wrong. There is lots of non agricultural land they can use, just doesn't happen to be connected to the existing base. Lots of land around CFB Cold Lake and that even has an airport. This fight has been going on for at least 5 years now.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Thats right location DOES matter. This is prime farm land as history has proven. To remove it from active production to expand a playground for the military is just plain wrong. There is lots of non agricultural land they can use, just doesn't happen to be connected to the existing base. Lots of land around CFB Cold Lake and that even has an airport. This fight has been going on for at least 5 years now.

He can see black ops from his balcony and that is NFG for the DND.

One of his head of cattle could be halal.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nope, they have to pay you full market value.

No they don't. They have to pay you assessed value. Those can be two very different things. Fair Market value is what the owner decides to accept, not what someone is willing to offer. ANd if the owner does not wish to sell then there is NO fair market value.