Pot-smoking Mountie can't smoke in uniform, RCMP says

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Maintiens le droit eh.

Cpl. Ron Francis legally smokes marijuana daily while on duty to treat post-traumatic stress disorder

A Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer with a medical marijuana prescription thinks he should be able to smoke the drug while in uniform, but the RCMP says he can't smoke marijuana while in red serge or while wearing his regular working uniform.

Cpl. Ronald Francis serves with J Division in New Brunswick, and received a prescription for medical-grade marijuana on Nov. 4.

Francis told CBC News marijuana has helped him to calm down and reduces his PTSD symptoms. His prescription allows for three grams a day, which he estimates to be nine to 15 joints, though he said he doesn’t typically smoke that much.

“I get up in the morning, have my coffee and the marijuana. I go at lunchtime, have a marijuana joint, and then again in the evening. That would be my medical regime. But that may change with my tolerance to THC. It may take two joints in the morning, I don't know," said Francis.

"I'm just building up my immunity to THC levels, if I was to smoke two I'd probably get stoned to the point that I'm just totally relaxed. I'm still functional. But your nervous system is relaxed, and that makes a big difference," he said.

more

Pot-smoking Mountie can't smoke in uniform, RCMP says - Ottawa - CBC News

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This the perfect case for decriminalizing the drug without legalizing it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Doesnt really matter to me one way or another. Im sure the Mounties have much bigger issues to deal with.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well meds are meds- the cannot legally deny him the right to his legal meds.

No, they can't. But, there are also a lot of rules about smoking at work, based on health reasons, as well as rules in most workplaces about working with odors on you. It seems to me that smoking pot in your uniform kind of violates all of those (and yes, I am pro-legalization, but also pro-intelligence). Would you be willing to hand your pot over to the officer who stinks of it? lol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No, they can't. But, there are also a lot of rules about smoking at work, based on health reasons, as well as rules in most workplaces about working with odors on you. It seems to me that smoking pot in your uniform kind of violates all of those (and yes, I am pro-legalization, but also pro-intelligence). Would you be willing to hand your pot over to the officer who stinks of it? lol.

Take your legal meds in a respectful way? I wonder how that wording came about. Does it apply to other meds or just grass?
This could have been easily addressed by ordering and reimbursing him to wear civilian attire at work.
As to odors- that can be addressed as well.

From the link

“Because this is relatively new for active members of the RCMP, we are looking at the internal policies to see, how do we set it up? To say, OK, if somebody is prescribed medical marijuana and they have to take it two or three times a day and have to take it at work, where is this going to take place? If it takes place outside, it has to respect the individual but also their co-workers, and it has to respect the Canadian population at large by taking it in a respectful way.”

The RCMP has the right to challenge medical treatments it considers inappropriate, and to seek a second medical opinion, Moreau said, adding that RCMP will evaluate any member who obtains a medical marijuana prescription.

If they are found to be impaired in judgment or motor skills, the RCMP will place limits on the police functions they're permitted to perform, he said.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Diabetics get a sharps bucket in the bathroom to do their meds. Cannabis can be taken orally with near instant prophylaxis right at a desk without anybody getting their sh*t in a knot.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
legal pot must be worse than bunk. IF I smoked 10-15 joints a day of normal pot ......... well I wouldn't be able to smoke that much and still roll, never mind work. Got any chips?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
legal pot must be worse than bunk. IF I smoked 10-15 joints a day of normal pot ......... well I wouldn't be able to smoke that much and still roll, never mind work. Got any chips?
Here is today's menu at BCCCS

Pochi (Ind/Sat)
Indoor, resinous, dense, strong, smooth taste, effective pain relief, sleepy, relaxing.

$9

Double Skunk (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, purple hued, resinous, sticky, invigorating, nausea relief.

$9

Lemon OG Haze (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, rich citrus taste, energizing and cerebral, good for daytime pain relief and muscle relaxation, digestion.

$9

Geisha (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, strong, invigorating, muscle relaxant, appetite stimulant

$9

*Hashbud (Sat/Ind)
Organic, indoor, strong, great for appetite, pain and daytime use.

$9

Blueberry (Ind/Sat)
Indoor, fruity, smooth, fast-acting pain and nausea relief, calming, sleepy.

$9

Nebula (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, crisp, sweet, uplifting, calming, helpful for headache & nausea relief.

$9

**Purple Kush (Ind/Sat)
ORGANIC /VEGAN - Indoor, strong, resinous and dense, fast-acting and long lasting pain and nausea relief, calming, good for sleep.

$8

Jack Herer (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, spicy, refreshing, energetic, fast-acting nausea and daytime pain relief.

$8

Legends Ultimate (Indica)
Indoor, smooth, buttery tasting, fast-acting pain relief, calming, sedative.

$8

Wreck Daze (Ind/Sat)
Indoor, smooth, strong, fast-acting daytime pain relief, relaxing, nausea relief.

$8

Northern Lights (Ind/Sat) *NEW LOWER PRICE*
Indoor, smooth, rich flavour, relaxing and restful, pain and nausea relief.

$8

UBC Chemo (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, citrusy, dense, resinous, cerebral, uplifting, daytime pain & nausea relief.
3 GRAM LIMIT

$8

*Solar Flare (Cross)
Outdoor, organic, reliable daytime pain and nausea relief, appetite enhancer.

$7

*Emerald Wonder (Indica)
Organic, indoor, reliable pain and nausea relief, anxiety relief.

$7

Queen Jane (Ind/Sat) *NEW LOWER PRICE*
Indoor, fragrant, resinous, relaxing, daytime pain relief, appetite stimulant.

$7

Jack Herer Screened Hash (Sat/Ind)
Indoor, spicy, rich flavour, calming, daytime pain and nausea relief.
5 GRAM LIMIT

$13

Nebula Seawarp OGKush Water Extracted Hash (Cross)
Indoor, mixed blend, uplifting, good for nausea relief, calming.

$14

*Bee Hash (Ind/Sat)
Organic, outdoor, water extracted, strong, smooth, fast acting, restful, euphoric & drifty, mildly sedative, good for headache and pain relief.

$19

Honey Oil (Cross)
Alcohol extracted and filtered. Smooth, strong pain and nausea relief.
Half gram vial LIMIT 2 VIALS per WEEK

$22

Special (Cross)
1 Gram Limit with a maximum purchase of no more than $33.00

$3

The mail order menu:

Menu item Family Price Description Delete link Solar Flare 50/50 Cross $7/gram Outdoor, organic, daytime pain relief. Chocolate Fountain Hash 50/50 Cross $17/gram Indoor, tasty, crumbly. Calming, daytime pain relief Hash Bud 50/50 Cross $9/gram Organic, indoor, strong and clear, great for muscle tension. April Kush Oil 50/50 Cross $30/gram Butane extracted and filtered. Very strong, pain relief, stimulating, day time medicine Special 50/50 Cross $3/gram Bottom-of-the-bag "shake" offered at the subsidized price of $3/g. Quantity may be limited. Small Buds 50/50 Cross $6/gram A mix of small buds from the whole menu. Quantity may be limited subject to availability. Lemon OG Haze Indica-dominant $9/gram Indoor, refreshing, mentally stimulating, fast-acting, calming, good for pain relief Orange Kush Indica-dominant $9/gram Citrus taste, good for pain & sleep Golden Skush Indica-dominant $8/gram Indoor, Skunk #1 crossed with Hindu Kush Blueberry Indica-dominant $9/gram Organic, indoor. Fruity, solid pain and nausea relief. OG Kush Indica-dominant $9/gram Indoor, strong, resinous, sticky, smooth. Good pain relief, good for sleep. Purple King Kush Indica-dominant $9/gram Organic, indoor, super resinous, aromatic, strong, fast-acting, pain & nausea relief. very sleepy. Bubba Kush Indica-dominant $8/gram Indoor, nice taste, relaxing. light sedative effect, fast acting. PoChi Indica-dominant $9/gram Indoor, strong, smooth pain relief, sleepy. Northern Lights Indica-dominant $9/gram Organic, indoor; very relaxing, pain & nausea relief, calming & good for sleep Kush/Afghan/Nebula Water-extracted hash Indica-dominant $13/gram Water-extracted hash made from three medicinal strains BlueBerry Kush Indica-dominant $9/gram fruity, kush Queen Jane Indica-dominant $9/gram Indoor, fragrant, resnious. Daytime pain relief, appetite stimulant Emerald Wonder Pure Indica $7/gram Organic Outdoor, Good for sleep, pain, digestion and anxiety relief. Legends Ultimate Indica Pure Indica $8/gram Organic, indoor Max Pure Sativa $9/gram Pure sativa; very energetic Krush Pure Sativa $9/gram Organic, indoor, strong, sweet, energetic. The Hundred Sativa-dominant $9/gram Organic, indoor Honey Oil Sativa-dominant $44/gram Smooth, strong pain relief and nausea relief. Sold in 1/2g vials for $22 each. Nebula H20-Extracted Hash Sativa-dominant $14/gram Indoor. Strong, spicy, smooth, flavourful; cerebral, fast-acting, long-lasting energy. Jack Herer Sativa-dominant $8/gram Indoor, spicy uplifting, good strength, good for energy and daytime pain. Nebula Sativa-dominant $9/gram Indoor, strong, uplifting, energetic. Mountain Sunshine Hash Sativa-dominant $11/gram Indoor, H2O extracted, smooth, fast-acting, invigorating, muscle relaxant,calming Coffee Bean Hash Sativa-dominant $13/gram Indoor; super-gooey, uplifting yet calming. Double Skunk Sativa-dominant $9/gram Uplifting Diesel Sativa-dominant $8/gram Indoor, strong, resinous, energetic

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Not if he needed an injection asap.

Obviously not GOober, you're stretching what I'm saying. You know they don't go stand at the public front door and use needles on a regular basis, and if they did, they'd see the same lecture this guy is.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I wonder how many walk up to his window in his squad car and asked for drivers and registration while taking in a really deep breath and then walking away while holding it in.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Obviously not GOober, you're stretching what I'm saying. You know they don't go stand at the public front door and use needles on a regular basis, and if they did, they'd see the same lecture this guy is.

Yes I am in the same way you are. The RCMP had a number of ways to address this. But political correctness, backwoods attitude, Official Govt attitude toward grass as a treatment prevented them from using what the good Lord gave them. Their brain.