Proposed increased B.C. Hydro rates

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just heard on C.B.C. radio that a skookum rate increase is imminent. Schools apparently can't afford the increase so schools could be closed for several MORE days a year, to cut hydro costs. I would expect this would lead to teachers' salaries being reduced, so that might cause a tax reduction for tax payers so they can more easily cope with increased hydro costs!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm sorry JLM but I have to laugh at you since you scoffed my warnings of the Smart Meter. I hope you don't have any daytime hobbies that require a lot of hydro.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm sorry JLM but I have to laugh at you since you scoffed my warnings of the Smart Meter. I hope you don't have any daytime hobbies that require a lot of hydro.

I'll stand behind my opinion of the smart meter. How many hours of meter reading does it eliminate in a month? I check my account on line all the time and I've become much more conscious about leaving unnecessary lights burning etc. It gives you a fairly accurate est. in advance of what your bi monthly bill is going to be. It's all good, Petros and no more dangerous than holding a cell phone to your head 24/7. -:)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now you can run around the house all day finding ways to cut you 12cent per kW/h daytime rates and monitoring it online.

Let me know how unplugging your fridge during the day and plugging it back in at night works out for you

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Our new smart meter cut the bill by 30%. Can't argue with savings like that. No wonder they need to raise rates.

Now you can run around the house all day finding ways to cut you 12cent per kW/h daytime rates and monitoring it online.

Let me know how unplugging your fridge during the day and plugging it back in at night works out for you

The rate is constant. Goes up after a certain usage.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
You'll be getting tiered rates.
Tiered would be good. I use less because I do not have every electronic toy ever invented.

Also having lived in Alberta for 8 years and having been back in BC for18 months, I am here to tell you BC Hydro is cheap! In BC we pay less for 2 months usage than we did for every single month.