No more doorknobs (the non-living kind at least) in Vancouver.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Vancouver shows doorknobs the door

Ottawa (AFP) - The city of Vancouver has banned doorknobs in new construction, a city official said Thursday.

Wrist-twisting doorknobs will be replaced with levers to make it easier on seniors and those with disabilities, city spokeswoman Viviana Zanocco told AFP.

The new rules are included in an amended building code, which takes effect March 1, 2014. It will not apply retroactively to older buildings.

"This is very progressive of Vancouver," Howard Gerry, a design professor at Toronto's OCAD University, told the daily Toronto Star.

"It makes good sense, even for private houses. Think about an aging population or an individual carrying groceries or small children. Levers make access easier."

Others such as antique doorknob sellers, however, were flying off the handle over the measure.

"I can understand if you have a public building where everybody wants to have free access and that is a problem," Allen Joslyn, the president of the Antique Door Knob Collectors of America, told the Vancouver Sun.

"But to say that when I build my private home and nobody is disabled that I have to put levers on, strikes me as overreach."

I am not sure what to say other than wow.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
If the main victims are "antique doorknob sellers", I can live with it. Realistically, I can't even see them taking all that much of a hit since i doubt many new buildings are built with antique doorknobs anyways.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Vancouver shows doorknobs the door

I am not sure what to say other than wow.
I like it. I hope too that in public buildings now being built, all doors will become automated, keys will all be fobs, taps will turn on and off without touch, and toilets will have automated flush ability, lights will turn on and off with entry and exit. It makes sense, it prevents the spread of bacteria and virus and will have long term energy savings as well as convenience. Plus, we can so we should.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I like it. I hope too that in public buildings now being built, all doors will become automated, keys will all be fobs, taps will turn on and off without touch, and toilets will have automated flush ability, lights will turn on and off with entry and exit. It makes sense, it prevents the spread of bacteria and virus and will have long term energy savings as well as convenience. Plus, we can so we should.

Having had a periphery experience with my Mom being in a wheelchair for many years really opened my eyes to just how inaccessible many every day items actually are. So honestly, if there are ways and means to open up the accessibility for the elderly and disabled, why wouldn't we? It's not as if it makes it any more difficult or obtrusive for the able bodied to use a door handle as opposed to a door knob, just as a for instance.

But I think the thing is that there is this propensity to ban the past as opposed to encourage/motivate when moving forward, it's about how things are handled really and it's all in the attitude. If you focus on what you're taking away instead of what you're giving, it can read wrong to a lot of people.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Having had a periphery experience with my Mom being in a wheelchair for many years really opened my eyes to just how inaccessible many every day items actually are. So honestly, if there are ways and means to open up the accessibility for the elderly and disabled, why wouldn't we? It's not as if it makes it any more difficult or obtrusive for the able bodied to use a door handle as opposed to a door knob, just as a for instance.

But I think the thing is that there is this propensity to ban the past as opposed to encourage/motivate when moving forward, it's about how things are handled really and it's all in the attitude. If you focus on what you're taking away instead of what you're giving, it can read wrong to a lot of people.
hm, I never considered that before, it's an interesting point and very solid...in management when you want to change procedure or policy within a company the easiest way to do so is have the employees come up with the idea of change themselves, then people quickly apply themselves to make their idea happen...guess this is the same

when I see people flying along in motorized wheelchairs now, I love how all the curbs have been altered, they certainly arrive before me and that is wonderful, but yeah, we have a long way to go. Thinking about it, there are certain buildings that would be damn near inaccessible because they swing back, how does one enter unless they have an automatic button...

I have not been sensitized to the need yet I guess. I am more aware of problems for the blind since my mum lost her eye sight as she aged but the boomers are rapidly heading to that place of need, for the younger generation, much of it will already be in place for them...(hopefully).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
hm, I never considered that before, it's an interesting point and very solid...in management when you want to change procedure or policy within a company the easiest way to do so is have the employees come up with the idea of change themselves, then people quickly apply themselves to make their idea happen...guess this is the same

when I see people flying along in motorized wheelchairs now, I love how all the curbs have been altered, they certainly arrive before me and that is wonderful, but yeah, we have a long way to go. Thinking about it, there are certain buildings that would be damn near inaccessible because they swing back, how does one enter unless they have an automatic button...

I have not been sensitized to the need yet I guess. I am more aware of problems for the blind since my mum lost her eye sight as she aged but the boomers are rapidly heading to that place of need, for the younger generation, much of it will already be in place for them...(hopefully).

To me it's just common sense that if you want to enact a change, you make a positive statement as opposed to a negative one. Doesn't mean someone, somewhere won't find something negative about it, but at least you control the kind of message you are putting out there in the beginning. So something as truly meaningless as the doorknob being used to enter a room really doesn't need to become an issue.

Most people don't desire to make life difficult for people who are disabled, at least I would hope not, but the truth is that we just don't stop and think about it. Simply because it doesn't affect us.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
To me it's just common sense that if you want to enact a change, you make a positive statement as opposed to a negative one. Doesn't mean someone, somewhere won't find something negative about it, but at least you control the kind of message you are putting out there in the beginning. So something as truly meaningless as the doorknob being used to enter a room really doesn't need to become an issue.

Most people don't desire to make life difficult for people who are disabled, at least I would hope not, but the truth is that we just don't stop and think about it. Simply because it doesn't affect us.
I don't know, it takes public funds. It could be argued that the majority of people will never have such a need so why the expense, however once they do have the need or probably more so someone they love, perspectives change rapidly. It is not just about awareness it's about heart too. Or as some would say, it's about funds because that's where their heart lies.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I think its a great idea for public buildings. A bit big brotherish for private homes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't know, it takes public funds. It could be argued that the majority of people will never have such a need so why the expense, however once they do have the need or probably more so someone they love, perspectives change rapidly. It is not just about awareness it's about heart too. Or as some would say, it's about funds because that's where their heart lies.

It takes public funds to make a retroactive change, but moving forward it's just about creating a new standard. I'm sure people bitched and moaned about putting ramps into public buildings too.

I think its a great idea for public buildings. A bit big brotherish for private homes.

As far as private homes go, it should be no different than mandating the doorways to be wide enough to allow for a wheelchair.

Again I think it's about adopting an attitude, and putting forward the positive message, that looking to the future we want to have things as accessible as reasonably possible. There really is nothing wrong with that, when and where it can be done without any real hardship.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

It takes public funds to make a retroactive change, but moving forward it's just about creating a new standard. I'm sure people bitched and moaned about putting ramps into public buildings too.

As far as private homes go, it should be no different than mandating the doorways to be wide enough to allow for a wheelchair.

Again I think it's about adopting an attitude, and putting forward the positive message, that looking to the future we want to have things as accessible as reasonably possible. There really is nothing wrong with that, when and where it can be done without any real hardship.
if you want to help people to see the benefit, it will make their homes more sale-able..therefore worth more on various levels.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Not a good Idea if you have a smart cat.......
That type of handle makes it too easy.....

Cat opens five doors sneaking out of house - YouTube

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Not a good Idea if you have a smart cat.......
That type of handle makes it too easy.....

Cat opens five doors sneaking out of house - YouTube

But on the positive side, it will prevent them from scratching the **** out of the bottom of the doorway in a futile attempt to escape. ;)

Lol.

But seriously when it does come to accessibility in the home, it really doesn't take monumental change in order to make it more accessible. Sometimes just how things are laid out can make a world of difference and it really has no impact on those of us who are more able bodied.

It's not just the disabled that benefit, it's also the elderly. And if it really is a good idea to keep people in their own homes longer, than making everyday life easier to manage on their own is a good step in the right direction. And with that notion alone it can add value to a home. In my opinion.