Sylvia Browne RIP

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I hate people that prey upon someone's neediness and use it for their own ends. Con artists.

In her case a lot of people got what they deserved. She was proven wrong a number of times publicly and people still flocked to her. Some people will pay to hear what they want to hear and not care if its true or not.

Still, I despise people in that line of "work."

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
In her case a lot of people got what they deserved. She was proven wrong a number of times publicly and people still flocked to her. Some people will pay to hear what they want to hear and not care if its true or not.

The problem is people using her were often at the lowest point in their lives. People in that type of blackness do not display the best judgement.

I don't know what her lifestyle was like but she was rough looking for 77.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Even when people know better, I can empathize with their feelings of desperation. But to take advantage of that, there's no angle that doesn't come off wrong in my book.

It's some weird kind of legal con artistry.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Even when people know better, I can empathize with their feelings of desperation. But to take advantage of that, there's no angle that doesn't come off wrong in my book.

My mother and grandmother were fans of this woman. I never understood it. At least not after I saw her being proven wrong. Even when I was a child that was enough to destroy her credibility in my eyes. I dont know if they still followed her or not at this point. My mother called a fortune teller when I was a kid to find out if my father was cheating. He was, the fortune teller said he wasnt. Then this year she wanted to go see a medium to speak to a dead relative. I dont know how many times she has to be let down or how much money she has to throw away before realizes its all a con.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The problem is people using her were often at the lowest point in their lives. People in that type of blackness do not display the best judgement.

I don't know what her lifestyle was like but she was rough looking for 77.

Well she was better looking last week compared to today. Just my opinion.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
My mother and grandmother were fans of this woman. I never understood it. At least not after I saw her being proven wrong. Even when I was a child that was enough to destroy her credibility in my eyes. I dont know if they still followed her or not at this point. My mother called a fortune teller when I was a kid to find out if my father was cheating. He was, the fortune teller said he wasnt. Then this year she wanted to go see a medium to speak to a dead relative. I dont know how many times she has to be let down or how much money she has to throw away before realizes its all a con.

I remember having a discussion with a relative one time about how these "psychics" were just really adept at reading people, picking up on clues that they don't know they're putting out. She kept telling me how when she went to see one, she didn't tell them or let on about anything and yet they 'knew'. I said, 'but you did reveal things, you're just not aware of it'. Nope, she wouldn't buy what I was trying to tell her. And it was so odd because this relative is actually a very rational person.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I said, 'but you did reveal things, you're just not aware of it'. Nope, she wouldn't buy what I was trying to tell her. And it was so odd because this relative is actually a very rational person.

I went to see one with my sister who is also a believer. I had never seen one before but Ive read enough about their practices that I figured I could fake my way through it. I did. I made up a bunch of BS which the medium accepted as fact and went along with it. It was fun at the end to just say I made it all up, just like her. I wish my mother had been there, she had paid for the appointment. A birthday gift to my sister. In a way I felt bad for my sister. She went there thinking there was a chance she could talk to a dead relative or get a message from her and went away disappointed. She admitted to me that the one we saw was clearly a fraud but wasnt willing to give up on all of them. I sent her some links to sites about their practices so hopefully she'll know what to look for if she goes to see another.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I went to see one with my sister who is also a believer. I had never seen one before but Ive read enough about their practices that I figured I could fake my way through it. I did. I made up a bunch of BS which the medium accepted as fact and went along with it. It was fun at the end to just say I made it all up, just like her. I wish my mother had been there, she had paid for the appointment. A birthday gift to my sister. In a way I felt bad for my sister. She went there thinking there was a chance she could talk to a dead relative or get a message from her and went away disappointed. She admitted to me that the one we saw was clearly a fraud but wasnt willing to give up on all of them. I sent her some links to sites about their practices so hopefully she'll know what to look for if she goes to see another.

If anyone came up to me and said they were psychic, I'd go full on skeptic on them. I'd be looking for the "tell", like when you're watching a magician and always trying to figure out how they're doing it. But the funny thing is, I also think human beings are more than the sum of their parts. Not in some 'new agey' kind of way, but that I do sometimes wonder if we have instincts that we don't or can't fully process rationally, so they stay sort of on the periphery. Not that I believe anyone can tell the future or anything like that, and certainly when someone comes on like they've mastered this thing I believe it's more B.S. than anything. But there is this unexplained element to our perception that can be kind of interesting to explore.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There was a psychic in my area when I was growing up. Her name was Vera McNicol and was friends with a guy I went out with. I like some of the things that she said about life in general and how she treated people that flocked to her for help. That is usually a good glimpse into someone's character...how comfortable we feel with the individual's philosophy.

She found a wallet that had been lost on their farm just from a card shuffle. Told them which field to look in, and the time of day to search for it and that it would be by a rock with the sun shining on it. And it was there. I remember that clearly. I also remember her husband being a big man who sat and played checkers for hours with people who were waiting to talk to Vera. He was unbeatable and if you were good at checkers he tried to convince you to stay and play with him not go talk to her.

The police in our area used her although it was not made public because it was not a mainstream thing to do.

Here's a small article on her:

Ottawa Citizen - Google News Archive Search

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
There was a psychic in my area when I was growing up. Her name was Vera McNicol and was friends with a guy I went out with. I like some of the things that she said about life in general and how she treated people that flocked to her for help. That is usually a good glimpse into someone's character...how comfortable we feel with the individual's philosophy.

She found a wallet that had been lost on their farm just from a card shuffle. Told them which field to look in, and the time of day to search for it and that it would be by a rock with the sun shining on it. And it was there. I remember that clearly. I also remember her husband being a big man who sat and played checkers for hours with people who were waiting to talk to Vera. He was unbeatable and if you were good at checkers he tried to convince you to stay and play with him not go talk to her.

The police in our area used her although it was not made public because it was not a mainstream thing to do.
I did some checking. the internet refers to her as the late Vera McNicol, so I guess she croaked. :(