U.S. teen who killed, dismembered a 10-year-old girl gets life in prison, but won’t f

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He was 17 when he committed this horrendous crime.
Now think Canada- And sentences for 1 sick ffn puppy.

U.S. teen who killed, dismembered a 10-year-old girl gets life in prison, but won’t face the death penalty | National Post

GOLDEN, Colo. — A U.S. teenager who killed and dismembered a 10-year-old girl last year was ordered Tuesday to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Austin Sigg, 18, would have been eligible for parole on the murder charge in 40 years because he was a juvenile at the time of the October 2012 killing of Jessica Ridgeway.

But the judge added on sentences for other crimes that Sigg pleaded guilty to, eliminating that possibility.

“This case cries out for a life sentence,” District Judge Stephen Munsinger said.

Sigg showed no emotion as the judge handed down the terms. He did not face the death penalty because he was a juvenile at the time of the killing.

He earlier pleaded guilty to kidnapping and killing Jessica. The girl was abducted while walking to school, and human remains identified as hers were found five days later in a park. More of her remains were hidden in a crawl space in Sigg’s mother’s home, where he lived.

Sigg, who reportedly had a fascination with death and was interested in mortuary science, pleaded guilty to kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing the girl. He also acknowledged attacking a 22-year-old jogger at a park in May 2012. In that case, investigators said he used homemade chloroform to try to subdue the woman, who escaped.

After Ridgeway disappeared, a resident contacted authorities to alert them to Sigg because he reportedly had a fascination with death. FBI agents took a DNA sample from the teen, and days later his mother, Mindy Sigg, called police, saying her son wanted to confess.

Investigators said Sigg told them he used his hands to kill the girl before he dismembered her body in a bathtub.

Former classmates say Sigg, who dropped out of school, was intelligent, interested in mortuary science and was bullied for having a high voice.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The fact that he is not facing the death penalty doesn't bother me. I am just glad that he was given a sentence that is worthy of the crimes he committed. Justice was served. At least he won't ever taste freedom and there won't be any further victims of his.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't believe in the death penalty but this is mst certainly a case where he should never be released. There is just no fathomable way to bounce back from that kind of action. I'd rarely use the word impossible but I can't see how any kind of rehabilitation/ redemption is possible.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't believe in the death penalty but this is mst certainly a case where he should never be released. There is just no fathomable way to bounce back from that kind of action. I'd rarely use the word impossible but I can't see how any kind of rehabilitation/ redemption is possible.

I believe in the Death Penalty, but it would have to be for only very special cases, ones where there are no shadows of doubt. Ones such as Paul Bernardo, the scumwad that shot all those people watching the Batman movie, etc. That being said, if they were given life with NO possibility of parole, I would accept that as well. Little slap-on-the-wrist sentences (or ones that are miscarriages of justice) piss me off to no end.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I believe in the Death Penalty, but it would have to be for only very special cases, ones where there are no shadows of doubt. Ones such as Paul Bernardo, the scumwad that shot all those people watching the Batman movie, etc. That being said, if they were given life with NO possibility of parole, I would accept that as well. Little slap-on-the-wrist sentences (or ones that are miscarriages of justice) piss me off to no end.

I think redemption is possible, possible mind you, in a great many cases except for the extreme ones like you've mentioned. So I think at that point we need to segregate these people from the rest of society.

The death penalty I don't believe in simply because we can't, society can't, kill someone to punish them for killing someone. That's what it comes down to for me.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think redemption is possible, possible mind you, in a great many cases except for the extreme ones like you've mentioned. So I think at that point we need to segregate these people from the rest of society.

The death penalty I don't believe in simply because we can't, society can't, kill someone to punish them for killing someone. That's what it comes down to for me.

I respect your opinion, and while I don't necessarily agree with it all, I do see the merits of some of it.:)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I respect your opinion, and while I don't necessarily agree with it all, I do see the merits of some of it.:)

I know, I remember the "death penalty" debate. I get why people support it and I don't judge that, it's just that part I cannot get beyond, ethically speaking.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I agree. Difference is, I don't think it's worth it. Redemption, that is. To me, the death penalty's a simple matter of "What you have cost society is so much greater than the likelihood you'll ever be worth a bucket of warm spit that we've decided we don't need you. Your ticket on Spaceship Earth is cancelled."

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree. Difference is, I don't think it's worth it. Redemption, that is. To me, the death penalty's a simple matter of "What you have cost society is so much greater than the likelihood you'll ever be worth a bucket of warm spit that we've decided we don't need you. Your ticket on Spaceship Earth is cancelled."

If the capacity for change, real change, is not a component of the human condition, then we may as well just pack it all up right now. So I have to believe, choose to believe, that rehabilitation is possible for anybody. Having said that though, the more practical side of me says that, given past proven capacity for extremely harmful behavior, we have to weigh the cost of safety for the public into the mix. And I'll always side on public safety. So I think we need to look at what was done, why it was done, how it was done, and by whom it was done to assess the potential for redemption and weigh it against the potential risks. The individual in the OP doesn't pass any of those tests, not in my opinion, when measured against the future safety of innocent people in society.

The death penalty is a separate issue to me. Bottom line to me is that it costs us more to take a life than it does to segregate them in prison for the remainder of their life. And it's not a cost you can put a dollar value on either. The decision to execute a prisoner or not is not what it says about them, it's about what it says about us.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If the capacity for change, real change, is not a component of the human condition, then we may as well just pack it all up right now. So I have to believe, choose to believe, that rehabilitation is possible for anybody. Having said that though, the more practical side of me says that, given past proven capacity for extremely harmful behavior, we have to weigh the cost of safety for the public into the mix. And I'll always side on public safety. So I think we need to look at what was done, why it was done, how it was done, and by whom it was done to assess the potential for redemption and weigh it against the potential risks. The individual in the OP doesn't pass any of those tests, not in my opinion, when measured against the future safety of innocent people in society.

The death penalty is a separate issue to me. Bottom line to me is that it costs us more to take a life than it does to segregate them in prison for the remainder of their life. And it's not a cost you can put a dollar value on either. The decision to execute a prisoner or not is not what it says about them, it's about what it says about us.
Respect your point of view. But to be honest, if we consider it right and good to go drop bombs on wholly innocent people who just happen to inhabit the same country as some other people who don't like us, I don't think it's such a stretch to end the career of and actual, malicious, agent of harm.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Then why do terrorists hide in a crowd of "innocents" and their weapons in mosques?
In order to give us the opportunity to claim our innocence and deep, deep regret that we had no choice but to kill children.

Yeah, "See what you made me do!" That's a hell of an excuse there.