Wall Mart Fiasco - Please donate food - Help our employees enjoy Thanksgiving

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Wall Mart Fiasco-Please donate food - Help our employees enjoy Thanksgiving-

Wal-Mart asks workers to donate food to its needy employees | Financial Post

A Cleveland Wal-Mart store is holding a food drive — for its own employees.

“Please donate food items so associates in need can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner,” reads a sign accompanied by several plastic bins.

That Wal-Mart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage
.The Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported on the food drive, which has sparked outrage in the area.

“That Wal-Mart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage,” Norma Mills, a customer at the store, told the Plain Dealer.

A company spokesman defended the food drive, telling the Plain Dealer that it is evidence that employees care about each other.

“This store has been doing this for several years and is for associates that have faced an extreme hardship recently,” spokesman Kory Lundberg told us.

Lundberg says an example of this would be a recent layoff in the family or some other financial hardship.

Wal-Mart has been criticized for paying low wages to its 2.2 million employees.

Last week, 50 people were arrested after protesting the retailer’s pay at a store in Los Angeles.

Wal-Mart turned a profit of $15.7 billion last year.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That Wal-Mart would have the audacity to ask low-wage workers to donate food to other low-wage workers — to me, it is a moral outrage
75 years ago they called people helping people a Community. When did it become an outrage?

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
a mutli national corporation with massive profits who pays below survival wages want the other poorly payed people who must buy thier cheap junk to make donation so their workers don't suffer..........

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I've worked at Wal-Mart. I had money to give. I was the second income.

I worked with men who were single... they had money to give, they were living comfortably.

But I also worked with single moms with a dead beat baby-daddy, who had run off. They needed tons of support. They were treated differently, both in scheduling, and in other accommodations.

No matter where you work, you're going to have an assortment of people from a variety of backgrounds. Some WILL be needy. Even at hubby's work, some are rich and living in huge houses, some are entry level, broke, and moving back in with mom and dad while they sort their lives out and work their way up in the company.

I don't get how it's Wal-Mart's fault, or where it hurts to ask.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"A company spokesman defended the food drive, telling the Plain Dealer that it is evidence that employees care about each other."
Well, since the company cares nothing for the employees .........

Don't be ridiculous. The company provided the plastic bins.

Nothing says "We care about you!" like plastic bins.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"A company spokesman defended the food drive, telling the Plain Dealer that it is evidence that employees care about each other."
Well, since the company cares nothing for the employees .........

If Wal-Mart was the one organizing it and doing it, it would be in every Wal-Mart. This is happening IN a Wal-Mart, organized by employees. I've seen plenty of places with social committees, etc., that were not 'the company'. It's much ado about nothing, to try to make Wal-Mart look bad.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It's much ado about nothing, to try to make Wal-Mart look bad.
Meh, they do a good job of doing it to themselves too.

WalMart has a problem with follow through, they like to make themselves out to be all about the Canadian/American family, but that's not what they do to/for the people that work for them.

SCB has a staff member whose brother was killed in a hit and run last summer. Oh WalMart pulled out all the stops, oh wait, no they didn't, the staff members fellow staff started drives for food and funds for the family. Management orchestrated big tearful group hugs and pats on the head for the staff member, big grandiose pats on the back for the upper management. Until the spotlight moves on. It's an empty facade, that while albeit a nice gesture in the heat of the moment, isn't part of their overall business philosophy.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They are not about the employee but what company is? I've worked in retail, years back, and we used to have a manager who would bark orders at you as soon as look at you. Not exactly a warm and cuddly guy. And every morning when he opened the store, he'd be standing at the doors letting staff in with the most insincere "Good Morning" because in some management meeting somewhere it had been drilled into them that that is what you do. You could almost see the cue card in his head. From head office, to district, to regional, to city to store level, they hammer on the numbers, numbers, numbers...until that's all they really see.

But the staff, that's a different story. Co workers can, although not always, build a relationship because they need to work together to get things done, they get to know one another, they form bonds. So when I hear something comes from staff, I figure it's sincere....if it comes from management, I turn a more skeptical eye towards that.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Yeah, theya re pretty bad, but people really treat them like the embodiment of all evil. They dumped their Dead Peasant Insruance--that was a good thign. Apparently they were quite good during Katrina, forming a much more effective response than teh government during those early hours.

Personally, I don't shop there. I try to limit the amount of crap from China in my house. Plus, I like Costco better--better quality, better service, better labour practices, better ethics.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Meh, they do a good job of doing it to themselves too.

WalMart has a problem with follow through, they like to make themselves out to be all about the Canadian/American family, but that's not what they do to/for the people that work for them.

SCB has a staff member whose brother was killed in a hit and run last summer. Oh WalMart pulled out all the stops, oh wait, no they didn't, the staff members fellow staff started drives for food and funds for the family. Management orchestrated big tearful group hugs and pats on the head for the staff member, big grandiose pats on the back for the upper management. Until the spotlight moves on. It's an empty facade, that while albeit a nice gesture in the heat of the moment, isn't part of their overall business philosophy.

Like I said... I've worked for Wal-Mart. I've had good managers, but Wal-Mart itself, the entity, is just that.... a corporate entity. It's like expecting a shovel to be good or bad. It's neither, it's just a tool. And if it's being to your benefit, it's good. If it's being used to dig your grave, it's bad. Wal-Mart does all sorts of digging.... some good, some bad. It dug people I know out of debt. It gave them a job when no one else would, and made them employable. Others end up dug in, because they'll never move on, not realizing it *should* be a spring board, not a landing pad.

But, that being said.... even if something is total ****, find the right reasons to bash it. Not the compassionate pulling together of some employees in Cleveland.

They are not about the employee but what company is?

No corporation is about the employee. They are about profits for shareholders. Period. They concern themselves with employee satisfaction only insofar as it remains profitable.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'd say this would be a fiasco if Walmart had told the employees to not place the bins in the workplace. As it stands, it's not like Walmart is doing anything different than any other corporate business would do.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Labor Board Sides With Workers: Walmart Can’t Silence Employees Any Longer

A landmark ruling by the National Labor Relations Board says Walmart unlawfully harassed and fired employees for protesting.

Walmart’s 1.3 million workers won a big victory Monday when the National Labor Relations Board ruled that the retail giant had broken the law by firing and harassing employees who spoke out—and in some cases went on strike—to protest the company’s poverty pay and abusive labor practices.

The federal agency will prosecute Walmart’s illegal firings and disciplinary actions involving more than 117 workers, including those who went on strike last June as part of a growing movement of company employees. The ruling is likely to accelerate the burgeoning protest movement among Walmart employees, upset with low pay, stingy benefits, arbitrary work schedules and part-time jobs.

more

Labor Board Sides With Workers: Walmart Can’t Silence Employees Any Longer | The Nation