CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Shining a Light on First Nations Poverty

Frank Busch
First Nations Author, Businessman and Entrepreneur
Huffington Post (BLOG)

If you have never lived in isolation and poverty it is hard to imagine exactly what it is like. It is easy for those living a life of relative privilege to look down their nose and place blame on the victim, which is what most will instinctively do. Growing up in a northern community, my family was better off than some but not as well off as most. This placed me in a precarious position in the middle of two dramatically different layers of the socio-economic strata of society. When my family would go to the First Nation to visit relatives, we would stay in their homes without running water and other amenities that most of us take for granted.

What I quickly learned is that the poor are generally oblivious to their poverty and see the accompanying social ills as normal life. When you are born into poverty and all around you are poor, you grow up unaware of any alternative lifestyle. The first time you are exposed to a more affluent lifestyle, such as those of the urban middle-classes, you do not immediately aspire to be a part of it, as most would assume. Instead, you see it as something very alien in which you do not belong. This fear of the unknown and unfamiliar drives many First Nations people back to their home communities....

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Good article.

I know the Algonquin Nation is trying to incorporate so as to have a charitable status, since they're hoping to collect funds to publish books they need. They'd been trying to do so for close to a year now, and last i checked, they're hoping to finally be incorporated by the end of this month. if they succeed, some of us will be prepared to contribute.

Any other ideas on how we can help?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I love it when you post links to sources that disprove the bulk of the nonsense you believe, lol.

Thanks though.

And you read it all in five minutes.........congratulations.........It took me half an hour and I still am not sure what I read.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
And you read it all in five minutes....
Nope, I don't remember how long it took me to read it. I have a copy of it on my puter. I'm guessing you think it's something that just came out as well as something that supports the nonsense you believe?

.....congratulations....
Thanks, not necessary, but thanks.

.....It took me half an hour and I still am not sure what I read.
That's been made obvious.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nope, I don't remember how long it took me to read it. I have a copy of it on my puter. I'm guessing you think it's something that just came out as well as something that supports the nonsense you believe?

I'm not sure what the nonsense is that you think I believe but it really doesn't matter. I should know better than leave an opening for your petty sarcasm which is the bulk of your posts these days.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm not sure what the nonsense is that you think I believe but it really doesn't matter. I should know better than leave an opening for your petty sarcasm which is the bulk of your posts these days.
It's not as if you leave me much to run with, other than.

Your beliefs about First Nations are no secret dude, but other than the occasional sarcastic reply to the myths you think are fact, I still dig you dude.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
One thing that has impressed me when I have visited reserves is the unconditional acceptance and generosity of the people. No matter how poor they are by our standards, they have shared what they have without reservation (pun unintended). As bleak as some of us may view their existence, I have witnessed an unhindered ability to smile, laugh and be friendly to strangers. I have been at ceremony where I was the only non native present, at the end of which, many lined up to thank me for attending and showered me with gifts to take home. I have never experienced that in the dominant culture.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Your beliefs about First Nations are no secret dude, but other than the occasional sarcastic reply to the myths you think are fact, I still dig you dude.

What do you think are my beliefs about first nations? I would like to know.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What do you think are my beliefs about first nations? I would like to know.

You think First Nations people are lazy and entitled. you feel that we should not be "throwing money at them". Much the same as pnhead, and like pnhead, you are a bigot if not an out right racist when it comes to First Nations peoples. This has been abundantly clear for many years now, so denying it will not change that fact.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You think First Nations people are lazy and entitled. you feel that we should not be "throwing money at them". Much the same as pnhead, and like pnhead, you are a bigot if not an out right racist when it comes to First Nations peoples. This has been abundantly clear for many years now, so denying it will not change that fact.

For the life of me, I can't think of a good reason to deny or confirm anything you might say, but have fun anyway.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
For the life of me, I can't think of a good reason to deny or confirm anything you might say, but have fun anyway.

You asked, I answered.

BTW, the thumbs up is from Bear, He concurs with my view, so that is his answer to your query.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
BTW, the thumbs up is from Bear, He concurs with my view, so that is his answer to your query.
This is true, I just didn't want to get into it, lol.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
One thing that has impressed me when I have visited reserves is the unconditional acceptance and generosity of the people. No matter how poor they are by our standards, they have shared what they have without reservation (pun unintended). As bleak as some of us may view their existence, I have witnessed an unhindered ability to smile, laugh and be friendly to strangers. I have been at ceremony where I was the only non native present, at the end of which, many lined up to thank me for attending and showered me with gifts to take home. I have never experienced that in the dominant culture.

I'd had similar experiences. Though I remember a story about the Commish viziting Kitigan Zibi the summer before last along with a UN representative. Apparently the Algonquins had given him a piece of their minds, according to the two Algonquins I'd spoken to who were there to meet with them. I so wish I were there. Strangely enough though, I'd never read anything about it online and would never had known about that encounter otehrwise.

Kitigan Zibi is one reserve I've not yet visited, though was invited to visit none-the-less.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'd had similar experiences. Though I remember a story about the Commish viziting Kitigan Zibi the summer before last along with a UN representative. Apparently the Algonquins had given him a piece of their minds, according to the two Algonquins I'd spoken to who were there to meet with them. I so wish I were there. Strangely enough though, I'd never read anything about it online and would never had known about that encounter otehrwise.

Kitigan Zibi is one reserve I've not yet visited, though was invited to visit none-the-less.
I grew up there. It's an awesome place, but I bet it's changed since I was a lad.