The often-ignored facts about Elsipogtog

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The often-ignored facts about Elsipogtog

The majority of Canadians have been woefully under-informed about what is really going in Elsipogtog.
Opinion / Commentary
By: Chelsea Vowel
Toronto Star

In 1997, the landmark Supreme Court Decision in Delgamuukw finally clarified that even under Canadian law, Aboriginal title to most of the land within British Columbia’s provincial borders had never been extinguished. This ruling had immediate implications for other areas of the country where no treaties ceding land ownership were ever signed. One day, Canadians woke up to a legal reality in which millions of acres of land were recognized as never having been acquired by the Crown, and that elephant has been occupying our national room ever since.

Unfortunately, this glaring issue did not seem to percolate into the wider Canadian consciousness, and many people remain unaware of it. In 1999, the Supreme Court passed down another judgement confirming that the Peace and Friendship Treaties of 1760-1761 did not cede land or resources. This cannot be emphasized strongly enough: the Mi’kmaq never gave up legal rights to their land or resources. Canada does not own the land that the people of Elsipogtog are defending.

This is not conspiracy theory, or indigenous interpretation. This is Canadian law, interpreted by the Supreme Court of Canada, applying Canadian constitutional principles. Yet somehow, this most important fact is left out of most reports on Elsipogtog as though it is barely relevant.

Often misunderstood by the general public, too, is that the people of Elsipogtog have widespread support from Acadians and Anglos in the area. In fact, the majority of people living in New Brunswick support a moratorium on fracking, in direct opposition to Premier David Alward’s wholehearted embracing of shale gas exploration. Opposition to fracking is not a fringe position; it is the majority position in the Atlantic provinces and elsewhere throughout Canada....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Out of curiosity are the people that are against fracking also against the revenue resource extraction brings into the provincial coffers and are they against accepting equalization payments?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Out of curiosity are the people that are against fracking also against the revenue resource extraction brings into the provincial coffers and are they against accepting equalization payments?
Across the board? No idea.

I do know that there elements in the Elsipogtog that understand that there is an economic opportunity here. But they aren't the ones manning the front lines if the protests, obviously.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There is a never ending parade of people protesting one development or another but I have yet to hear one of them demand fewer government services or create alternative jobs with the pay scale of resource industries.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Canada relying on resource extraction as the basis of our economy is Third World thinking. We have one of the highest educated populace in the world but all we can think to do with that education is dig in the dirt or chop down trees? Something is seriously amiss.

BC is, for the most part, unceded land: no wars, no treaties. BC has been stealing everything here for the last 150+ years and arrogantly craps on aboriginal peoples for trying to stop them. Some people can't see the forest for the trees.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
There is a never ending parade of people protesting one development or another but I have yet to hear one of them demand fewer government services or create alternative jobs with the pay scale of resource industries.
That's true.

I think for the most part many see protesting as a strike against the govt, reason really doesn't enter the equation.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Canada relying on resource extraction as the basis of our economy is Third World thinking. We have one of the highest educated populace in the world but all we can think to do with that education is dig in the dirt or chop down trees? Something is seriously amiss.
Money drives the world dude, all the spiritual feelings one may have won't change that.

BC is, for the most part, unceded land: no wars, no treaties. BC has been stealing everything here for the last 150+ years and arrogantly craps on aboriginal peoples for trying to stop them. Some people can't see the forest for the trees.
There is a happy medium in there somewhere.

All the tree planted with love and rainbows in the 90s are almost ready for harvest.
Bring on the heavy equip, lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No they are not. It takes on average 80 years to grow a marketable tree. The lumber being cut today was considered reject just 30 years ago.
I don't think it takes that long. I've seen areas around here reforested and harvested in my time, I'm only 43. I think it's some form of hybrid poplar.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't think it takes that long. I've seen areas around here reforested and harvested in my time, I'm only 43. I think it's some form of hybrid poplar.
I'm talking softwood trees in BC. Poplar are considered a weed here and just burned.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I believe hybrid poplar are softwood.
It may be soft but conifers are considered softwood and leafy trees are considered hardwood even if the wood is soft. OSB is about all you can use poplar for as it would make really inferior lumber.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Across the board? No idea.

I do know that there elements in the Elsipogtog that understand that there is an economic opportunity here. But they aren't the ones manning the front lines if the protests, obviously.

...that's cuz the gov'ent is 'sponsible for 'em.