Pet-lovers bare their teeth after Quebec man eats dog to survive Some people are just

Would you kill and eat your pet dog - Same situation as this man

• Yes

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I would rather starve

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I do not know

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Pet-lovers bare their teeth after Quebec man eats dog to survive
Some people are just damned stupid.
If I was in this mans situation I would do the same thing.
Pet-lovers bare their teeth after Quebec man eats dog to survive | National Post

The decision of lost Quebec outdoorsman Marco Lavoie to eat his German Shepherd may have saved his life.

Certainly, it’s earned the man the quiet praise of Canadian survival experts — even as dog lovers around the world branded him a heartless pariah.

“Never would I consider eating my pet,” reads a typical comment below a much-cited Daily Mail account of Mr. Lavoie’s ordeal.

Similar messages, many of them claiming they would “rather die” than eat a dog, blanketed blogs, forums and news websites from as far afield as Australia.

“They need to euthanize this guy for eating his dog,” said a caller to a Seattle radio show discussing Mr. Lavoie’s survival.

Nick Buck, chief survival instructor at B.C.’s Canadian Wilderness Tourism Training Centre, scoffed at the suggestion, saying it is “impossible to predict” how someone will react in an extreme situation, no matter their attachment to a canine companion.

“Anyone who says that they would not eat their dog is by extension saying that they value their dog’s life over their own. I find that offensive,” he wrote in an email to the National Post.

Paul Cobham, director of operations at Nova Scotia’s Survival School Canada, posited that Mr. Lavoie’s action was an “absolute last-resort” decision made in a haze of starvation and desperation.

“It’s almost one stage away from becoming a cannibal,” he said. “But nothing’s off the table when it comes to surviving.“

On Oct. 30, Mr. Lavoie was on the brink of death when he was pulled from the Northern Quebec wilderness by rescuers with the Sûreté du Québec.

He entered the Quebec Boreal Forest in June in a canoe trip up the Nottaway River with his dog, but became stranded in August when a bear attacked his campsite, destroying his food and much of his survival gear.

When he was reached by helicopter — his family finally contacted police in late October — Mr. Lavoie was barely able to speak, was suffering from hypothermia and had lost half his body weight.

Only after the badly injured man was safely in hospital did it emerge that in September, wounded from a fall, out of food and ammunition — and with freezing weather closing in — Mr. Lavoie had sacrificed his dog with a rock to the head.

“He is very ill and he can barely talk, but when our officers spoke to him in hospital the only thing he said was, ‘I want to get a new dog,’” the Sûreté’s Richard Carbonneu told a Mail reporter.

A friend later told the U.K. paper Mr. Lavoie had treated the dog “like one of his own children.”

Mr. Carbonneu added, “It is obvious he loved him very much and did not want to do what he did.”

‘It’s almost one stage away from becoming a cannibal’

In a Tuesday analysis for the webzine Slate, cultural historian Rebecca Onion compared the recent outrage against Mr. Lavoie to that of white people 100 years ago who sneered at desperate acts of dog-eating as the uncivilized practice of Aboriginal northerners.

“In the case of Marco Lavoie, we have years of stories telling us that we should starve rather than violate the man-dog bond,” she wrote.

Canadian history is filled with tales of desperate outdoorsmen who broke the man-dog bond. In 1952, lost Alberta trapper Jack Knox ate four huskies from his six-dog sledding team after he was stranded for more than a month.

Three years later, a Newfoundland-born Hudson’s Bay Company trader and his Inuit guide were forced to eat five of their 11-dog team after they got lost while mushing the 250 kilometres from Cape Dorset to what is now Iqaluit.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
didn't we already discuss this fool? or is this another one?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A human being made it home to his family. Sorry, but that trumps dog, every time.

And, no dog could have a better owner....any future dog he gets is guaranteed to be well fed.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A human being made it home to his family. Sorry, but that trumps dog, every time.

And, no dog could have a better owner....any future dog he gets is guaranteed to be well fed.

Yet some idiots are calling for him tho be put down. Guess they need a better perspective on the reality of starvation and what a person(s) will do to survive.
The instinct to survive is amazing- and can drive people to make the ultimate sacrifice for others survival to the most evil in order to survive.

1972 Andes flight disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, also known as the Andes flight disaster and, in South America, as the Miracle of the Andes (El Milagro de los Andes) was a chartered flight carrying 45 people, including a rugby team, their friends, family and associates that crashed in the Andes on 13 October 1972. More than a quarter of the passengers died in the crash and several others quickly succumbed to cold and injury. Of the 29 who were alive a few days after the accident, another eight were killed by an avalanche that swept over their shelter in the wreckage. The last 16 survivors were rescued on 23 December 1972, more than two months after the crash.

The survivors had little food and no source of heat in the harsh conditions at over 3,600 metres (11,800 ft) altitude. Faced with starvation and radio news reports that the search for them had been abandoned, the survivors fed on the dead passengers who had been preserved in the snow. Rescuers did not learn of the survivors until 72 days after the crash when passengers Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa, after a 10-day trek across the Andes, found Chilean arriero Sergio Catalán,[1] who gave them food and then alerted authorities about the existence of the other survivors.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have zero problem with eating the dog, and if a group of us were together and I died I would have zero problem with them eating me. The reason people are irate if this is the same idiot as the last article is because he went into the wilderness with no gun, didn't protect his food properly and ate his dog on day three and didn't get rescued until weeks later. IF it is the same guy, he's a **** I fully understand why people would be making those type of comments.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
To all of the people saying they would rather starve than eat the dog. Sure, they can say that with their bellies full of food and self-righteousness. Have any of them truly been starving in their lives before? If they had, I doubt they would say the things about this guy that they are.

Would it be a difficult decision? Of course it would. I would not make the decision lightly, and it would most certainly haunt me for a long, long time (perhaps even to the day I die..which could be many years later than if I had chosen not to eat the dog). But I would still be alive to be haunted.

I do not feel any ill-will to him at all.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have zero problem with eating the dog, and if a group of us were together and I died I would have zero problem with them eating me. The reason people are irate if this is the same idiot as the last article is because he went into the wilderness with no gun, didn't protect his food properly and ate his dog on day three and didn't get rescued until weeks later. IF it is the same guy, he's a **** I fully understand why people would be making those type of comments.

It's the same guy, but nothing he's said gave a definite 'three days' from what I can find. The news all reference 'a few days', and 'some days' later.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yet some idiots are calling for him tho be put down. Guess they need a better perspective on the reality of starvation and what a person(s) will do to survive.
The instinct to survive is amazing- and can drive people to make the ultimate sacrifice for others survival to the most evil in order to survive.

1972 Andes flight disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571, also known as the Andes flight disaster and, in South America, as the Miracle of the Andes (El Milagro de los Andes) was a chartered flight carrying 45 people, including a rugby team, their friends, family and associates that crashed in the Andes on 13 October 1972. More than a quarter of the passengers died in the crash and several others quickly succumbed to cold and injury. Of the 29 who were alive a few days after the accident, another eight were killed by an avalanche that swept over their shelter in the wreckage. The last 16 survivors were rescued on 23 December 1972, more than two months after the crash.

The survivors had little food and no source of heat in the harsh conditions at over 3,600 metres (11,800 ft) altitude. Faced with starvation and radio news reports that the search for them had been abandoned, the survivors fed on the dead passengers who had been preserved in the snow. Rescuers did not learn of the survivors until 72 days after the crash when passengers Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa, after a 10-day trek across the Andes, found Chilean arriero Sergio Catalán,[1] who gave them food and then alerted authorities about the existence of the other survivors.

I've seen the movie.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted I don't know. Generally speaking though, even though I'm generally vegan, I would still value my life over my dog's.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think most people would value their lives over their dog's in the end. Given the option to sit and starve to death, and watch your dog starve to death too, people are forgetting that part, I think most would choose to do all they could to live. They don't realize it but what people who are lashing out at him are really saying isn't that they would choose their dogs over themselves, what they're saying is that they would choose their dogs over the lives of strangers. They place more value on that German Shepherd, than they do on a man. I think that's what I find so repugnant about their declarations that he should have starved to death, or deserves to die for doing what he needed to survive.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think most people would value their lives over their dog's in the end. Given the option to sit and starve to death, and watch your dog starve to death too, people are forgetting that part, I think most would choose to do all they could to live. They don't realize it but what people who are lashing out at him are really saying isn't that they would choose their dogs over themselves, what they're saying is that they would choose their dogs over the lives of strangers. They place more value on that German Shepherd, than they do on a man. I think that's what I find so repugnant about their declarations that he should have starved to death, or deserves to die for doing what he needed to survive.

Idiots abound- No vaccine for them that I know of - well education might but they still would not get it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Now, I love domesticated inbred and genetically inferior wolves as much as the next fellow, but there are certain limitations on that fondness. For example, I would not provide an imitation grassy knoll in the basement as does my neighbour, so that the beast can relieve himself day or night and not chill his precious rotweiller paws. And as far as letting Baskerville Bob sit on the chersterfield, hell, I wouldn't even let Mayor Ford sit naked on my furniture.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Now, I love domesticated inbred and genetically inferior wolves as much as the next fellow, but there are certain limitations on that fondness. For example, I would not provide an imitation grassy knoll in the basement as does my neighbour, so that the beast can relieve himself day or night and not chill his precious rotweiller paws. And as far as letting Baskerville Bob sit on the chersterfield, hell, I wouldn't even let Mayor Ford sit naked on my furniture.

So are you one of those people that dresses their dog up?
Come on now - fess up.....................