Polio- Making a comeback in the West from the ME.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Polio threatens Europe as virus makes comeback amid wars and flood of refugees | National Post
Polio’s re-appearance in Syria last month after a 14 year absence raises the risk that the virus will hitch a ride on unsuspecting refugees fleeing the country and return to areas, including Europe, that have been polio-free for decades, according to a letter published in the The Lancet medical journal Friday.

“Polio is making a comeback,” Martin Eichner, a professor at the University of Tuebingen who co-authored the letter to The Lancet, said Friday. Eichner and a German colleague warned that the vaccine used in the U.S. and Europe offers only partial protection against infection and called for heightened screening of sewage systems near refugee settlements in Turkey and Jordan. Syrian war refugees, moreover, have begun arriving in Western Europe, including Sweden and Germany.

Another 180 polio cases have been reported in Somalia this year, and smaller numbers in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Sudan.

The virus was also found in sewage and feces samples in Israel, which represents a threat for Europe, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control said in September. No actual polio cases have been reported in Israel.

Two vaccines are used to protect children: an oral inoculation that contains the live virus, and a so-called inactivated shot that delivers a disarmed version of the pathogen.

Most Western European countries and the U.S. switched to the disarmed injection more than a decade ago because the oral vaccine was linked to some polio infections. While it prevents paralysis, the shot doesn’t fully protect against infection of the virus. That may enable it to circulate undetected in the region, Eichner and his colleague Stefan Brockmann of the Regional Public Health Office in Reutlingen, Germany wrote in The Lancet.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I thought that was one of the viruses that was virtually wiped out. One of my grandmothers lost a sibling to polio back in the 30s.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I thought that was one of the viruses that was virtually wiped out. One of my grandmothers lost a sibling to polio back in the 30s.
Ya, well, Big Pharma like to beat their own meat, er, drum... or is it, blow their own horn, either way it looks like they were sh!ttin' us again.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ya, well, Big Pharma like to beat their own meat, er, drum... or is it, blow their own horn, either way it looks like they were sh!ttin' us again.
Ummm, no. It was vurtually wiped out. But unfortunately there are conditions around the globe that are perfect for the illness to thrive.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Polio will NOT affect anyone, if they simply bothered to get the immunizastion against it.

It occurs because too many people refuse to get immunized against anything.

Blaming refugees for this is stupid!

Oh yes, the Polio virus was never wiped out. It exists naturally in many environments, including in all of North America. There are a few cases every year in both the US and Canada, because people will not get their immunizations.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's a woman who lives near me called Christine who has polio. She has a walking stick. The neighbours call her Peg Leg.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Polio will NOT affect anyone, if they simply bothered to get the immunizastion against it.

It occurs because too many people refuse to get immunized against anything.

Blaming refugees for this is stupid!

Oh yes, the Polio virus was never wiped out. It exists naturally in many environments, including in all of North America. There are a few cases every year in both the US and Canada, because people will not get their immunizations.

“Polio is making a comeback,” Martin Eichner, a professor at the University of Tuebingen who co-authored the letter to The Lancet, said Friday. Eichner and a German colleague warned that the vaccine used in the U.S. and Europe offers only partial protection against infection and called for heightened screening of sewage systems near refugee settlements in Turkey and Jordan. Syrian war refugees, moreover, have begun arriving in Western Europe, including Sweden and Germany.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There are other problems as well we have people right here that believe flu shots
and other vaccines are deadly and evil and a conspiracy and what ever.
I have watched news clips where some Muslim groups in the Middle East N Africa
especially that believe if a child gets an immunization there is something in it that
will turn them into Christians. Mind you we have some weird beliefs here too.
The more information we obtain the more uneducated we become it seems in many
cases. Now we know there is a problem How are we going to deal with it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There are other problems as well we have people right here that believe flu shots
and other vaccines are deadly and evil and a conspiracy and what ever.
I have watched news clips where some Muslim groups in the Middle East N Africa
especially that believe if a child gets an immunization there is something in it that
will turn them into Christians. Mind you we have some weird beliefs here too.
The more information we obtain the more uneducated we become it seems in many
cases. Now we know there is a problem How are we going to deal with it.

Problem today is the vaccine now used does not offer full protection. I watched a CBC program on Polio outbreak before the vacine - parks were empty- kids stayed home- ghost towns.

Polio vaccine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first effective polio vaccine was developed in 1952 by Jonas Salk at the University of Pittsburgh, but it would require years of testing. To encourage patience, Salk went on CBS radio to report a successful test on a small group of adults and children on March 26, 1953; two days later the results were published in JAMA.[27]

The Salk vaccine, or inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV), is based on three wild, virulent reference strains, Mahoney (type 1 poliovirus), MEF-1 (type 2 poliovirus), and Saukett (type 3 poliovirus), grown in a type of monkey kidney tissue culture (Vero cell line), which are then inactivated with formalin.[12] The injected Salk vaccine confers IgG-mediated immunity in the bloodstream, which prevents polio infection from progressing to viremia and protects the motor neurons, thus eliminating the risk of bulbar polio and post-polio syndrome.