Equalization payments not fair !!

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
The distribution of Equalization Payments are not fair as shown by this article.

The concept of Equalization Payments should be abolished all together.

Equalization payments make for unequal services: study | Financial Post

------
These have-not provinces are now on a “government-services spending spree,” thanks to equalization payments from the country’s richer regions, according to a study released Monday by the Fraser Institute.

Mark Milke, author of the report by the independent public-policy think-tank, says “instead of providing ‘reasonably comparable levels of public services at reasonably comparable levels of taxation,’ as the Constitution sets out, equalization results in ‘have-not’ provinces buying more expensive government goodies than the spending-responsible ‘have’ provinces.”

“More professors, more doctors, more nurses, lower tuition fees and smaller class sizes can all be enjoyed in the provinces which do not have to pay for these services by themselves.”

Over that time, Alberta, for example, was the only province that did not receive financial assistance from the rest of Canada. The Fraser Institute contends that British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Ontario received “very little.”

For the current 2013-14 fiscal year, equalization payments will total $16.1-billion, according the Finance Department.

Among the six provinces receiving transfers this year, the biggest recipient will be Quebec at $7.8-billion, followed by Ontario — which qualified for the first time in 2009-10 — at $3.17-billion, department data show. The other recipients are Manitoba ($1.79-billion), New Brunswick ($1.51-billion), Nova Scotia ($1.46-billion) and Prince Edward Island ($340-million).

Newfoundland and Labrador, which had received payments since the program began, became a “have” province in 2009-10.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
How bout we all just cut out the middleman and not send anything to Ottawa?
Yep, I would agree with sending nothing to Ottawa!!

Federal government business is big business and all of this is in Ottawa from which Ontario is a big benefactor.
So all the money the taxpayers from all the other provinces send to Ottawa to pay for these people, Ontario gets to collect tax money from these employees and this government business. The other provinces don't have this huge tax collecting advantage.

In light of this, Ontario should not be entitled to qualify for any kind of equalization since they are already getting tax money from all the other provinces by the mere fact the Government business is located in Ontario..

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Cool, no problem.

We'll get right on top of that after you pay back all the federal investments to Alberta, with interest of course.

Have a nice day, we look forward to receiving your cheque.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Cool, no problem.

We'll get right on top of that after you pay back all the federal investments to Alberta, with interest of course.

Really? Can we take the yacht out again?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Really? Can we take the yacht out again?
Sure, with that really expensive caviar and the Dom. Which reminds me, you have to stop smashing the Swarovki crystal after you finish each glass of Dom.

That's getting pricey and the maids bitchin'.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Sure, with that really expensive caviar and the Dom. Which reminds me, you have to stop smashing the Swarovki crystal after you finish each glass of Dom.

That's getting pricey and the maids bitchin'.

Ah man! But that's like "my thing". Sets me apart from all you guys lighting your cigars with hundred dollar bills.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Ah man! But that's like "my thing". Sets me apart from all you guys lighting your cigars with hundred dollar bills.
Hmmm, ok. Especially since I just sent out the memo that we're moving up to $1000 bills, with all that interest money coming back and all.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Cool, no problem.

Yeah, what investments are those? Must be the Liberal ones, but I think those investments went the way of the Liberals!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, what investments are those? Must be the Liberal ones, but I think those investments went the way of the Liberals!!

You don't drive around Alberta? I see all sorts of Action Plan signs detailing infrastructure projects from the federal gov.

In regards to the OP....

A huge part of poor service in government programs is NOT funding, it is management. So when you tell me that equalization payments are unfair because wait times differ, or tuition is cheaper, it doesn't really actually tell me that those provinces are taking an unfair per capita amount of money. It kind of comes across like the guys who complain about reserves if there are nice houses on them, but not if everyone's living in destitution. Seeing someone perform well with the money they are given is for some reason more distasteful than watching them fall flat on their faces with it.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I pictured a small child jumping up and down on the verge of tears when I read the title. Seems to fit.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Cool, no problem.

Sure, check is in the mail for all Ontario is worth. Cost us more for the stamp than the check is for but please enjoy it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sure, check is in the mail for all Ontario is worth. Cost us more for the stamp than the check is for but please enjoy it.
Oh my, that was so witty... 8O

Maybe you should stick to babbling what you think you know about us dirty welfare Injins, and racial slurs. Neither requires much thought, so your head won't be so over taxed.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Oh my, that was so witty... 8O

Maybe you should stick to babbling what you think you know about us dirty welfare Injins, and racial slurs. Neither requires much thought, so your head won't be so over taxed.

Awww! Are you still all butt-hurt and embarrassed your ancestors were not just defeated by mine but then duped as a little insult to injury. It must be hard to look in the mirror knowing you're descended from the weak and stupid. Kind of takes away from all that bullsh*t about great warriors and an advanced society don't it.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Federal government business is big business and all of this is in Ottawa from which Ontario is a big benefactor.
So all the money the taxpayers from all the other provinces send to Ottawa to pay for these people, Ontario gets to collect tax money from these employees and this government business. The other provinces don't have this huge tax collecting advantage.

In light of this, Ontario should not be entitled to qualify for any kind of equalization since they are already getting tax money from all the other provinces by the mere fact the Government business is located in Ontario..
That actually has some merit that I have never considered . I am sure federal spending in Ontario must be hugely tilted towards Ontario . Yikes So really all those years that Ontario was the engine of confederation it was still really the west and north .
Who would have guessed ?

Awww! Are you still all butt-hurt and embarrassed your ancestors were not just defeated by mine but then duped as a little insult to injury. It must be hard to look in the mirror knowing you're descended from the weak and stupid. Kind of takes away from all that bullsh*t about great warriors and an advanced society don't it.
You guys should take a rest .

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
LOL...

Besides showing how little you know about Canadian history, and again exposing what you really are, what did you hope to accomplish with that?

I hope that isn't what you call "troll bashing" troll, lol. If it is, all I can do is laugh at you some more.

You guys should take a rest .
It's weakness, I just love mocking trolls who beg me for my attention. I'd step down, but then they win, lol.