How a jealous wife ended up facing anti-terror chemical weapons charge over love tria

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
How a jealous wife ended up facing anti-terror chemical weapons charge over love triangle | National Post

WASHINGTON — An illicit love triangle that ended with a woman poisoning her pregnant rival spawned a debate over chemical weapons, international relations, federalism and chocolate at the Supreme Court Tuesday, with justices left trying to make sense of how a jealous wife ended up being prosecuted for violating an international chemical weapons treaty.

Carol Anne Bond is challenging her conviction, saying that the federal government’s decision to charge her using a chemical weapons law was an unconstitutional reach into a state’s power to handle what her lawyer calls a domestic dispute.

Bond, unable to bear any children of her own, was excited when her best friend Myrlina Haynes announced her pregnancy. But later Bond found out her husband of more than 14 years, Clifford Bond, had impregnated Haynes.

Bond, a laboratory technician, then stole the chemical 10-chloro-10H phenoxarsine from the company where she worked and purchased potassium dichromate on Amazon.com. Both can be deadly if ingested or exposed to the skin at sufficiently high levels.

Bond spread the chemicals on Haynes’ door handle and in the tailpipe of Haynes’ car. Haynes, noticing the chemicals, called the local police, who didn’t investigate to her satisfaction. She then found some on her mailbox, and called the United States Postal Service, which videotaped Bond going back and forth between Haynes’ car and the mailbox with the chemicals.

Postal inspectors then arrested her, and a federal grand jury indicted her on two counts of possessing and using a chemical weapon, applying a federal anti-terrorism law. The law was passed to fulfil the United States’ international treaty obligations under the 1993 Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and use of Chemical Weapons and on Their Destruction.

Bond pleaded guilty and received six years in prison.

‘On Halloween we gave them chocolate bars. Chocolate is poison to dogs, so it’s a toxic chemical under the chemical weapons” law’

A couple of justices were very critical of government prosecutors for choosing even to prosecute Bond using the chemical weapons law. “If you told ordinary people that you were going to prosecute Ms. Bond for using a chemical weapon, they would be flabbergasted,” said Justice Samuel Alito. “It’s so far outside of the ordinary meaning of the word.”

Justice Anthony Kennedy said it “seems unimaginable that you would bring this prosecution.”

Justices went down a long list of everyday items that could be prosecuted under the law since they could cause harm to humans or animals, including the use of kerosene, matches, performance-enhancing drugs used in sports, and even vinegar — which would poison goldfish if introduced to a fishbowl. Alito later drove home his point by saying under the law, even innocent ordinary actions could become questionable if the government’s power is not limited.

“Would it shock you if I told you that a few days ago my wife and I distributed toxic chemicals to a great number of children?” he said to laughter from the courtroom. “On Halloween we gave them chocolate bars. Chocolate is poison to dogs, so it’s a toxic chemical under the chemical weapons” law.”

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I can see attempted murder or aggravated assault or other such charge. If they really wanted to push it to a federal level they had her tampering with the mailbox which is interfering with the mail. To charge her under an international weapons treaty is a stretch. Quite possible it was a beta test to see how anti-terrorism legislation could be used against American citizens.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I can see attempted murder or aggravated assault or other such charge. If they really wanted to push it to a federal level they had her tampering with the mailbox which is interfering with the mail. To charge her under an international weapons treaty is a stretch. Quite possible it was a beta test to see how anti-terrorism legislation could be used against American citizens.

No it is a DA out of control. No more, no less.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If they have charged her with the offense, they also have to charge the hospital, and whoever sold her the other chemical, as they clearly possess the same weapons.

Chemical weapons charges should apply only to controlled substances, or substances modified by the purchaser to cause injury.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If they have charged her with the offense, they also have to charge the hospital, and whoever sold her the other chemical, as they clearly possess the same weapons.
I'm sure the govt has plenty of those chemicals, they would have to charge themselves too. Wouldn't that be a barrel of laughs.

Chemical weapons charges should apply only to controlled substances, or substances modified by the purchaser to cause injury.
The problem with that Karrie is there are many everyday items under your sink that could be classed as weapons. Ammonia is very dangerous and lethal, so is bleach without any modification at all. Any of the usual spray bathroom cleaners could easily be a weapon if sprayed in someones face, more dangerous than pepper-spray. It isn't possession of these chemicals or even that they may be controlled substances but how they are used. What is the intent? Her intent was to do harm but I still don't think that rates a charge under international chemical weapons violations. It was assault or attempted murder at best.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm sure the govt has plenty of those chemicals, they would have to charge themselves too. Wouldn't that be a barrel of laughs.

The problem with that Karrie is there are many everyday items under your sink that could be classed as weapons. Ammonia is very dangerous and lethal, so is bleach without any modification at all. Any of the usual spray bathroom cleaners could easily be a weapon if sprayed in someones face, more dangerous than pepper-spray. It isn't possession of these chemicals or even that they may be controlled substances but how they are used. What is the intent? Her intent was to do harm but I still don't think that rates a charge under international chemical weapons violations. It was assault or attempted murder at best.

lol...you're telling a hippy stay at home mom about the potential lethality of household cleaners. Stop and think about that for a second.

Nothing you said changes my view.... if it's not a controlled substance, or one you altered to injure people, you should not be able to face 'chemical weapons charges' even if you try to kill the whole town with it.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Stop and think about that for a second.
I tried but just kept envisioning you in a tie dye bikini. ;-):lol:
Nothing you said changes my view.... if it's not a controlled substance, or one you altered to injure people, you should not be able to face 'chemical weapons charges' even if you try to kill the whole town with it.
I'm pretty sure we're on the same page here. What I was getting at is even controlled substances shouldn't be up for charges under an international chemical weapons treaty and how by extension of this situation we could all face those charges for what is under our sink when the reality and intent of that treaty was for chemical weapons in war.