Belgium considering law to grant euthanasia for children, dementia patients

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Should children have the right to ask for their own deaths?

In Belgium, where euthanasia is now legal for people over the age of 18, the government is considering extending it to children -- something that no other country has done. The same bill would offer the right to die to adults with early dementia.

Advocates argue that euthanasia for children, with the consent of their parents, is necessary to give families an option in a desperately painful situation. But opponents have questioned whether children can reasonably decide to end their own lives.

Belgium is already a euthanasia pioneer; it legalized the practice for adults in 2002. In the last decade, the number of reported cases per year has risen from 235 deaths in 2003 to 1,432 in 2012, the last year for which statistics are available. Doctors typically give patients a powerful sedative before injecting another drug to stop their heart.

more

Belgium considering law to grant euthanasia for children, dementia patients | CTV News

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Belgium Senate has now legalized the euthenasia of children... presumably out of 'compassion'.. to 'end their suffering'.

Clearly the Euthenasia Cult it has moved relentlessly toward elimination of those who are expensive and inconvenient to keep alive, whether they agree to it or are in any position to make that decision or not.

This is full tilt on the slippery slope that instituting suicide as a right, with the obligation of the state to assist in the 'process', has put us on.

It inevitably leads, as it has in Belgium and the Netherlands, to the defunding of palliative care facilities, giving those with terminal illnesses no other choice in medical responses.

In Belgium it has become commonplace to 'terminate' patients without reporting it as a euthenasia, by-passing what few safeguards there are for its regulation.

It also leads to the arbitrary 'murder' of those who are in no condition or competence to make such a decision, such as children and those unable to communicate.. who are put at the 'mercy' of hospital bureacrats or families in disorienting emotional turmoil.

This is the inevitable result of the values that see only life that is free of physical distress and unobtrusive to others as 'worth living'. It is a confluence of the legalization of abortion and euthenasia of the elderly or the terminally ill and it won't end here.

How close it seems to be coming to the Nazi policies of the elimination of 'useless eater'.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/12/belgium-euthanasia/

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Im in favour of it if its done with consent and a person is terminally ill. With children, I really have no idea where I stand. Unfortunately you are never too young to die or suffer. Can they really give consent for that? Not just legally, but mentally as well. With dementia I have less of a problem with it if its done early on and the person is still lucid and understands. My grandmother wanted to go that way before dementia more or less turned her into a shell. Unfortunately she lived and is still alive but her mind and personality is sadly long gone. I really hope that never happens to me.