Tragic toll: 500 US kids die annually from gunshots, 7,500 injured, research finds

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Tragic toll: 500 US kids die annually from gunshots, 7,500 injured, research finds

The number of US children and teenagers who died after sustaining gunshot wounds – mostly from handguns - jumped by nearly 60 percent in a decade, according to new findings.

In addition, around 7,500 children are hospitalized annually after being injured by gunfire, a figure that increased by more than 80 percent from 1997 to 2009.

The findings were presented at a conference of the American Academy of Pediatrics, held in Orlando, Florida on Sunday.

It was estimated that eight out of every 10 gunshot casualties were caused by handguns, according to medical data reviewed by the doctors. The doctors then offered their opinion on the current gun debate, saying the national conversation should reflect the danger posed by handguns, as opposed to efforts to revoke the availability of semi-automatic rifles.

“Handguns account for the majority of childhood gunshot wounds and this number appears to be increasing over the last decade,” said lead author Dr. Arin L. Madenci, a surgical resident at Boston’s Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

“Furthermore, states with higher percentages of household firearm ownership also tended to have higher proportions of childhood gunshot wounds, especially those occurring in the home.”

Madenci and his colleague, Dr. Christopher Weldon, examined statistics from the Kids' Inpatient Database from 1997, 2000, 2003, 2006 and 2009 for a total of 36 million pediatric hospital admissions.

During that period, hospitalizations of children and teenagers aged 20 and younger from gunshot wounds jumped from 4,270 to 7,730. The death of children according to medical reports rose from 317 in 1997 to 503 in 2009.

The rates of gun ownership in homes with children differed widely from state to state, with 10 percent of households in New Jersey having guns, for example, compared to 62 percent in Montana, the researchers found.

The new findings are certain to aggravate the ongoing gun debate, which peaked following a mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut that left 20 children and 6 adults dead.

While supporters of the Second Amendment don’t dispute the new statistics, they say they should be considered within a larger context, Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, told NBC News.

“When you look at the number of people who are alive today or who didn’t have to be hospitalized because they weren’t a victim — and the money saved on that — you have to look at that side of the equation to get good public policy,” Gottlieb said.

The report was correct in pointing to the problem of handguns, which are used far more often in accidents and crimes than military-style assault weapons, he added.

“So where the doctors are saying the debate should be more in that direction, I wouldn’t disagree with that,” Gottlieb said.

source: http://rt.com/usa/us-children-gunshot-wounds-846/

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
A tragic statistic indeed. But who owns the responsibility?

Would it be fair to say that your entertainment industry is filled with violent movies and television programming? Would it be fair to say that the world recognizes the American penchant for aggressive behavior up to and including killing hundreds of thousands of children in foreign countries? Would it be fair to say that Americans embrace the spirit and credo of "Walk softely and carry a big stick?

Would it be fair to say that Americans own the responsibility for the experience of children killing each other as learned at the knee of their parents?

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
(Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.
U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.
"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Wow thanks for the info! I had no idea there were millions of moose hunters in Canada, who'd have believed there would be that many!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
A tragic statistic indeed. But who owns the responsibility?

Would it be fair to say that your entertainment industry is filled with violent movies and television programming? Would it be fair to say that the world recognizes the American penchant for aggressive behavior up to and including killing hundreds of thousands of children in foreign countries? Would it be fair to say that Americans embrace the spirit and credo of "Walk softely and carry a big stick?

Would it be fair to say that Americans own the responsibility for the experience of children killing each other as learned at the knee of their parents?

No. Most gun accidents involving children boil down to simple curiosity, not a desire to kill. They see something, they play with it. It stands to reason that in the most heavily armed nation in the world, there will be more cases where children come into contact with unsecured firearms, and thus more instances where they accidentally shoot themselves or eachother.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm very proud to say that in 2011, there were just 124 deaths caused by firearms in the UK.

There were just 98 in 2007.

And that's not just of children - which runs into the hundreds in the US - but of everybody.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
No. Most gun accidents involving children boil down to simple curiosity, not a desire to kill. They see something, they play with it. It stands to reason that in the most heavily armed nation in the world, there will be more cases where children come into contact with unsecured firearms, and thus more instances where they accidentally shoot themselves or eachother.
I don't know if you have fact based data to support your contention but some of what you say is probably correct. Does this explain why there are so many incidents in the U.S. of children taking guns to school and killing students? Curiosity?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't know if you have fact based data to support your contention but some of what you say is probably correct. Does this explain why there are so many incidents in the U.S. of children taking guns to school and killing students? Curiosity?

Last time I looked into that, spree killing in the US was statistically proportional to spree killings in Canada. Despite lighter media coverage, we haven't been immune to these issues.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yo Yo Yo.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Last time I looked into that, spree killing in the US was statistically proportional to spree killings in Canada. Despite lighter media coverage, we haven't been immune to these issues.
Would you be so kind as to post a link to your data source:)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Would you be so kind as to post a link to your data source:)

Wikipedia

Since 1989 Canada has had 9 school shootings.

The United States has roughly 10 times the population.

Proportionally speaking, they aren't suffering a massive epidemic that we aren't. Population density differences and availability of guns might effect it slightly, but we definitely can't sit back and pretend we're immune.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I'm very proud to say that in 2011, there were just 124 deaths caused by firearms in the UK.

There were just 98 in 2007.

And that's not just of children - which runs into the hundreds in the US - but of everybody.

Yep.

And I bet if you ignored more of your bill of rights you could even be safer!!!

Canada has lots of guns.........and a murder rate comparable with that in the UK. (1.6 vs 1.2 per 100,000)

Oh....casualty statistics that only include murder by firearm are ALWAYS an attempt by control freaks to mislead the naive.

During that period, hospitalizations of children and teenagers aged 20 and younger from gunshot wounds jumped from 4,270 to 7,730. The death of children according to medical reports rose from 317 in 1997 to 503 in 2009.

REALLY??? "Children" aged 18,19, and 20???? Old enough to carry arms in defense of their country??

Give me a break.

Personally, I think there is something very, very smelly about the stats, aside from the idiotic parameters they use to define a "child", just so they can cry out "For the love of God, it is for the children"!!!

The murder rate in the USA has dropped by 50% since 1993, and is currently at its lowest level since 1961. Especially as murders are most often committed by young males, this simply does not jibe with a 60% increase in gunshot wounds.

I wonder if a 20 year old was a child in 1997?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I can't get too chocked up about dead American children while they murder a hundred times that number all over the world every year. They are such a hypocriticle bunch of retards, sometimes.

Missplaced

Nominee Member
Oct 18, 2013
Careful Colpy you may incur the wrath of Petros for engaging in a discussion involving data and statistics!

What people don't want to talk about is the underlying reasons, the causality behind these kinds of things. That would require that they look at themselves and the "culture" they embrace. Far better to blame guns period than look at the genesis of the problem.

I've owned and used firearms for nearly thirty years and I've had my storage methodology examined by police, never lost or had a firearms stolen and never permitted anyone who I didn't know to use my firearms {under my close personal supervision}.

There are fundamental issues regarding character, integrity and common sense involved in this issue and while "mental illness" and the "availability/access to" arguing points have some validity it is the unpleasant fact that few want to admit, that we built the house we live in and if anyone thinks that pointing a finger at these nebulous rationales proves a thing, they should be living in Cairo because they'd be familiar with denile..:)

Last edited: