The Senators' Dilemma

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm hearing on the radio this morning that the senators deserve due process through the courts and charges have to be laid. That seems to be contrary to normal procedure in firing a guy!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I suppose theft in the traditional sense might be hard to prove.

The Senators are not amongst my favourite people of all time either but, having said that, if you're going to accuse someone of theft then they are entitled to due process. Because everyone is entitled to due process. When it comes to firing someone, the generally accepted truth of the matter (to my basic understanding) is that you can fire anyone you want but if they challenge it, you'd better have a good reason or it could potentially cost you. And since that means it costs us, the citizens and taxpayers, I'd say let's do it by the book shall we?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The Senators are not amongst my favourite people of all time either but, having said that, if you're going to accuse someone of theft then they are entitled to due process. Because everyone is entitled to due process. When it comes to firing someone, the generally accepted truth of the matter (to my basic understanding) is that you can fire anyone you want but if they challenge it, you'd better have a good reason or it could potentially cost you. And since that means it costs us, the citizens and taxpayers, I'd say let's do it by the book shall we?

Absolutely, just wish they'd get on with it or at least revamp the "organization". ( an oxymoron if there ever was one) -:)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think this whole dilemma would be easily resolved if Harper just abolished the entire Senate as being redundant and then Duffy, Wallin and the other turkey would have nothing to complain about.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well he wasn't in Question Period today, to answer questions about the porky Senate scandal.

Or tell us why he now admits that a "few" people knew about the Duffy Deal. Or who they are. Or why he claimed for so long that only Nigel Wright knew.

He won't hold a news conference to take questions from reporters.

But he will go on Tory radio to defend his decision to suspend three Senators without due process.

Stephen Harper is taking to the airwaves to defend his government’s campaign to suspend three ex-Conservative senators over their controversial expense claims.

Mr. Harper said criticism that he’s abusing due process is not deterring the push to suspend Mr. Duffy, Ms. Wallin and Mr. Brazeau without pay. “I think Canadians are actually very clear on this. I know the majority of Canadians senators are. The vast majority of our caucus and Canadians as well.”

Because that's how he'd like to reframe the scandal eh? With the three Con Senators as the villains, Nigel Wright as the official Good Samaritan/scapegoat, and himself as Mr Clean.

“What I think most Canadians would say is if you did that in your work, your boss wouldn’t wait for you to be convicted of a crime. Your boss would say that and that alone requires there’s some action be taken in terms of your job.”

While deliberately ignoring his central role in the scandal.

Or failing to explain why as Dean Del Mastro's boss, he hasn't moved to suspend HIM from the Commons.

Harper goes on radio show to defend campaign to suspend senators - The Globe and Mail

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I think this whole dilemma would be easily resolved if Harper just abolished the entire Senate as being redundant and then Duffy, Wallin and the other turkey would have nothing to complain about.
Harper can't abolish the senate... it has to be voted on province by province.

How can we abolish the Senate?
The senate is mandated by the Canadian constitution, so the only way to abolish it is to have seven provinces with fifty per cent of the population agree. No small feat, but it is possible.
Which provinces have expressed an interest in abolishing the senate?
Ontario, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Manitoba.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Harper can't abolish the senate... it has to be voted on province by province.

How can we abolish the Senate?
The senate is mandated by the Canadian constitution, so the only way to abolish it is to have seven provinces with fifty per cent of the population agree. No small feat, but it is possible.
Which provinces have expressed an interest in abolishing the senate?
Ontario, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Manitoba.

First of all the Senate is corrupt. Counts the senators for British Columbia vs. the senators for P.E.I. No wonder it would stand a slim chance of failing with a vote. P.E.I. should have one and B.C. should have about 32 if population was an indication. Deep six them by any means possible.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
First of all the Senate is corrupt. Counts the senators for British Columbia vs. the senators for P.E.I. No wonder it would stand a slim chance of failing with a vote. P.E.I. should have one and B.C. should have about 32 if population was an indication. Deep six them by any means possible.

Then what would the news media use for material?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You talking the hockey team or the other as sholes ??

The political A$$holes (not that they are necessarily bigger A$$holes than the other A$$holes, but I think the other A$$holes are in line with what is generally paid across the N.H.L.) It's ALL criminal, just a matter of how you look at it. At least the money the taxpayer pays to support the N.H.L. is largely voluntary. -:)