Teen Commits Suicide After Parents Ban Her from Facebook

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A teenager who took her own life after her parents banned her from accessing her own Facebook page wrote a suicide note saying she couldn't live without the social networking site.

Aishwarya Dahiwal, 17, was found hanged in her room in the western Indian city of Parbhani Wednesday night after an argument with her parents over the excessive amount of time she spent on Facebook, as well as the lengthy conversations she would have on her cellphone.

"Like all parents, their intentions were only to ensure that the girl did not go astray," investigating officer G. H. Lemgude told the Indo-Asian News Service. "They advised her to concentrate on her technical studies and stay away from long mobile chats and social networking sites."

In a suicide note she wrote shortly after the argument, Aishwarya blamed her parents and the restrictions they put on her Facebook use.

"Is Facebook so bad?" she wrote. "I cannot stay in a home with such restrictions as I can't live without Facebook."

Newsweek Pakistan says that, with Internet access spreading rapidly across India, many high school students are ditching their phones in favor of communicating exclusively over Facebook.

Teen Commits Suicide After Parents Ban Her from Facebook

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
she's lucky she wasn't honour killed for using facebook. its kind of like if avro killed himself for being banned. this thread could have been posted in the Darwin awards thread. ;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Lots of people don't make it to twelve face book or not. Her suicide for such trivial matters indicates to me that she had her priorities in a superficial order.
Oh, common. For a teen today, there is no life without Facebook. Banning her was the same as condemning her to social oblivion. Sad but true reflection on the realities of today's youth.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Avro? Avro? I don't remember any Avro.

Shame about the girl, but face book is clearly dangerous, as can be seen from this tragic event.

We should have a law or something, after an extensive study that runs into the billions and then we'll need some Focus Groups, and then we can institute change so that this tragedy never happens again.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lots of people don't make it to twelve face book or not. Her suicide for such trivial matters indicates to me that she had her priorities in a superficial order.

Most teenagers do.

That article looks like something the Onion would write. Strange that it actually happened.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Facebook in itself is not dangerous, what can be a problem is how we use it.
Parents have to be aware of what is important to a youth and respect that
there is a time and place. If a parent is going to ban such use then provide
an interesting alternative. Damn shame they killed their own kid because
they had no understanding of what she thought and felt much worse they
didn't appear to care to understand. I find it sad really

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
No one's ever seen a teen commit suicide because they're not getting their way before? It has nothing to do with facebook. She's not the first, she won't be the last. Everything feels so intense to teens. That's why the plethora of anti-bullying messages we have, but the increased lack of suicide prevention, bothers me.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
My daughter has been banned from hers a few times, talk about high drama and water works. Whatever. Talk. To. The. Hand.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
No one's ever seen a teen commit suicide because they're not getting their way before? It has nothing to do with facebook. She's not the first, she won't be the last. Everything feels so intense to teens. That's why the plethora of anti-bullying messages we have, but the increased lack of suicide prevention, bothers me.

Given she was a teenage girl in India I suspect there were other issues. FB may have been an escape of sorts for her. Just speculation but it is possible.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We should have a law or something, after an extensive study that runs into the billions and then we'll need some Focus Groups, and then we can institute change so that this tragedy never happens again.
I volunteer to be the lead contractor. I will organise and conduct the studies, facilitate the focus groups, recommend legislative action, and coordinate the work of sub-contractors in setting up a government website. It's the least I can do for the poor children.

My fees will be quite reasonable.