Harley Lawrence’s death at bus stop horrifies witnesses

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Harley Lawrence’s death at bus stop horrifies witnesses - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Two overnight workers say they were horrified after coming across a burning bus shelter in Berwick, N.S., early Wednesday morning.

They later learned homeless man Harley Lawrence, whose body was found by police, was inside.

The man and woman were driving in separate vehicles near the bus shelter where Lawrence died.

The two were interviewed by police the morning the 62-year-old died. The woman noticed something was amiss when she saw a fire truck.

“I got down almost to the Pharmasave, and I seen the bus shelter on fire,” she said.

She called the man immediately.

“There was like an orange glow, and I couldn’t figure out what was going on,” said the man. “Then I seen the fire here at the bus shelter.”

The two pulled over into the nearby Foodland parking lot.

“I seen the back wall of the shelter collapse as I drove around it,” said the man.

“The flames were about a foot and a half off the ground. Totally encompassing what was in there.”

The man said he didn’t want to believe what he was seeing. He kept asking if Lawrence was inside. After the firefighters doused the flames, he spoke to a police officer.

“The officer dropped his head and said yes.”

The man described the situation as utter horror. He said he had trouble sleeping after witnessing what happened.

“It was the worst thing anybody could ever imagine,” he said, still clearly distraught from the incident. “Just imagining what he must’ve went through.”

RCMP are still investigating the fire, and an autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Funny how so many were horrified by his death as a homeless person.
Wonder why? If people were so concerned why was nothing done to
help him no longer be homeless then no one would have had to be horrified.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Funny how so many were horrified by his death as a homeless person.
Wonder why? If people were so concerned why was nothing done to
help him no longer be homeless then no one would have had to be horrified.

I agree.
Look at the photo- what could start a fire like that?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You can't just stop a homeless person being homeless. Many of them are on the streets by choice. The fact that someone in the community even knew he was there is a step up from the lives of most homeless people.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Latest update
Harley Lawrence’s family wants ‘cruel’ people caught - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Police are treating Lawrence’s death as suspicious and are awaiting autopsy results.

Some eyewitnesses to the fire said they saw two young men fill jugs with gasoline and move towards the shelter before the fire. Police say they have no comment on the witness reports.

“It’s not like he was sick. They deliberately did it. It’s horrible. There’s sick people out there, that’s all I can say," Burke said.

Verna Mae Wheaton arrived at the vigil several hours before it started. She knew Lawrence. She said she brought him coffee and food when he arrived in Berwick in the summer.

But Wheaton said not everyone was so friendly.

"He told me … there were people, kids, that were poking needles in him. Yes, poking him with needles, to keep moving him around. He never did no harm to nobody ... and I don't know why that this ever, ever had to happen," she said.

Meanwhile, Lawrence's niece said the outpouring of support from the community since her uncle's tragic death has been touching.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Latest update
Harley Lawrence’s family wants ‘cruel’ people caught - Nova Scotia - CBC News

Police are treating Lawrence’s death as suspicious and are awaiting autopsy results.

Some eyewitnesses to the fire said they saw two young men fill jugs with gasoline and move towards the shelter before the fire. Police say they have no comment on the witness reports.

“It’s not like he was sick. They deliberately did it. It’s horrible. There’s sick people out there, that’s all I can say," Burke said.

Verna Mae Wheaton arrived at the vigil several hours before it started. She knew Lawrence. She said she brought him coffee and food when he arrived in Berwick in the summer.

But Wheaton said not everyone was so friendly.

"He told me … there were people, kids, that were poking needles in him. Yes, poking him with needles, to keep moving him around. He never did no harm to nobody ... and I don't know why that this ever, ever had to happen," she said.

Meanwhile, Lawrence's niece said the outpouring of support from the community since her uncle's tragic death has been touching.

OMG. I was so hoping it wouldn't be something like this but I feared it would be. What the hell is the matter with people? Who ****ing deserves this kind of treatment???

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
OMG. I was so hoping it wouldn't be something like this but I feared it would be. What the hell is the matter with people? Who ****ing deserves this kind of treatment???
No one to answer the question.
When I read the story I came to the conclusion- either something he had to stay warm or some one set him on fire.
Bus shelters are not crammed full of flammable materials.
And if they are under 18 - well.......

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No one to answer the question.
When I read the story I came to the conclusion- either something he had to stay warm or some one set him on fire.
Bus shelters are not crammed full of flammable materials.
And if they are under 18 - well.......

No but a lot of homeless use newspaper as insulation, if he was smoking, inebriated, fell asleep...you see where I'm going with this. Is it plausible but unlikely and really quite a reach? More than likely but that's because I don't want to contemplate the kind of depravity that needs to exist in order for someone to do that. I don't know if I believe in the existence of the human soul, but if they do exist I think it's pretty clear that some people don't have one.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No but a lot of homeless use newspaper as insulation, if he was smoking, inebriated, fell asleep...you see where I'm going with this. Is it plausible but unlikely and really quite a reach? More than likely but that's because I don't want to contemplate the kind of depravity that needs to exist in order for someone to do that. I don't know if I believe in the existence of the human soul, but if they do exist I think it's pretty clear that some people don't have one.

The fire runs from ground level up- appears to have reached well outside of the shelter - gas flows when poured and like water searches for the low point- most - many shelters have spacing at ground level for ease of cleaning.
Even if it did not have spacing, spaces develop over the years due to frost -melt heave.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The fire runs from ground level up- appears to have reached well outside of the shelter - gas flows when poured and like water searches for the low point- most - many shelters have spacing at ground level for ease of cleaning.
Even if it did not have spacing, spaces develop over the years due to frost -melt heave.

Just because I don't want to believe it doesn't mean that I don't.

It just breaks my heart is all.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Something hot came in contact with something flammable

Your intellect again reaches new lows.
Call Blackleaf a Village is missing you.

Your intellect again reaches new lows.
Call Blackleaf a Village is missing you.
Cannuck-
Who assisted you in understanding my post.
Again, you are an idiot- no sense of compassion for the helpless- no sense at all.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
yeah like someone's lighter came into contact with the gasoline they spread around him
That's one possibility. We use that saying in the fire service. When people ask us what started the fire we don't like to spread rumors. The guy could've been smoking and drinking something highly alcoholic and flammable. My first question is why would somebody see somebody with a can of gas going over there and not do something

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's one possibility. We use that saying in the fire service. When people ask us what started the fire we don't like to spread rumors. The guy could've been smoking and drinking something highly alcoholic and flammable. My first question is why would somebody see somebody with a can of gas going over there and not do something
maybe no one saw, don't know, but it would not surprise me in the least to find out someone threw gas on him while he was asleep and burned him to death...we are a noble species and a pathetic disgusting one... we go both ways and they are not so far apart the step from one side to the other

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Again you are assuming.
News reports can and oft times need clarification.
Something about facts to be confirmed you do not understand.
The Police are tight lipped- Need a road map as to the reasoning behind that?

Last edited: