Remember the Red Lobster n i g g er receipt?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yeah, about that...

via Fark:

You remember that waitress who got $10K in tips after a customer wrote a racial slur on the tip line? Turns out that customer didn't do it. I wonder who it could have been

Remember in September when we showed you a picture of a Red Lobster receipt that had the words “None Ni**er” written on it? If you missed the original story, you can see it here.

Well we’ve got an update today.

The man accused of writing the words on the receipt, Devin Barnes, went to his attorney, who also happens to be his pastor, and asked how he should deal with the accusations he’s facing. Barnes maintained he did not write the words on the receipt, but didn’t know how he could prove it. In the meantime, he’s faced a slew of threats from the public.

"It's been horrific. I mean, I just have been getting all these threats and everything," he said.

His attorney, Richard Dugger, hired a handwriting expert to compare the writing found on the receipt with other writing samples provided by Barnes. According to Dugger, the expert says the writing is not a match.

"There is no evidence that neither Devin Barnes nor his wife wrote that hideous statement on the line total, which means that someone else did," Dugger said.

“I didn't do this," Barnes said. "I just asked my parents, 'Why is this happening to me?' I mean, I didn't do nothing. Me and my wife were just trying to go out to eat, have a nice time."

Toni Braxton, the waitress who served Barnes and his wife on the night the receipt was left, recently did an interview with Nashville news station WSMV. Braxton says she posted a picture of the receipt not to draw attention to herself, but to make a statement about racism. Braxton found widespread support online as her story circulated around the country, and a crowd-funding site raised $10,000 in “tips” for her.

It is still not clear who wrote the shameful words on the receipt. Writing samples from Barnes have circulated around the web, however. Compare the writing on the receipt to the writing on the letter below and let us know what you think:

Handwriting Expert Says Receipt With 'None N**ger' Written On It Was Not Left By Customer

More restaurant receipt handwriting analysis | Gucci Little Piggy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The upside of the information super highway and social media is that we can have so much more awareness of what is happening with individual people the world over. And this can be a good thing. The lady who vented about her apples being stolen off her tree(from recent memory) receives the warmth and support from her community and beyond. It proves that people actually do care.

The downside of course is that it can give other less than sincere people ideas. I have to admit when I saw this particular story I had a bit of a "not again" skeptical reaction. There will always be people out there that take advantage of the kind nature of others. Where it really irritates me is that it can prevent people from helping those that need it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
He wasn't identified in the original stories so it wasn't like he had to clear his name.

But it does go to show, people are innocent until proven guilty.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
A quick comparison shows the letters in the word 'none' to be consistent with the letter. The N word is hard to say. The Capital N only appears once in the letter and is different and the 'er' at the end is run together which again is different and I don't see enough 'g's to compare. It does seem entirely possible the 'N' word was added.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
She got what she wanted when she posted it. 10,000 dollars from the internet idiots club.