Scout leaders topple ancient rock

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
An online video of two Boy Scouts of America leaders knocking over a 170-million-year-old rock formation in a Utah State Park has touched off worldwide outrage, state officials said on Friday, and the two men may face charges.

The video was posted on YouTube showing scout leader Glenn Taylor dislodging the massive rock free from its tiny perch in Goblin Valley State Park as Dave Hall films him while singing and laughing.

''We, we have now modified Goblin Valley!'' Hall shouts into the camera. ''A new Goblin Valley exists with this boulder down here at the bottom!''

The rock formation, known as a ''goblin,'' dates to the late Jurassic era and is one of many that give the desert park a surreal appearance that draws visitors from around the world.

The video has been viewed more than 1.4 million times since it was uploaded to YouTube by the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper on Thursday. Fred Hayes, Utah State Parks director, said his office has been inundated with angry calls and emails.

''From literally from around the world,'' Hayes said. ''Folks who have either been there (to Goblin Valley State Park) or even just seen pictures of it. The Southwestern desert has a lot of appeal for a lot of people and they are just outraged.''

more

Video: Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Utah Rock | Stuff.co.nz

Boy Scout Leaders Destroy Ancient 200 million year old Rock Formation at Goblin Valley VIDEO - YouTube

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can't see the problem.

Not only did the rock look dangerous where it was, so toppling it over and making it safer was a good idea, but I've never even heard of it before. It's just a rock.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I can't see the problem.

Not only did the rock look dangerous where it was, so toppling it over and making it safer was a good idea, but I've never even heard of it before. It's just a rock.
Ya, like it's just an old lady in a crown, no need to keep feedin' her, lol.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I can't see the problem.

the landscape is unique and protected for a reason because of the unqie geological forces at work... look it up...

Landscapes such as these inspired me as a child to pursue a career and get educated in earth sciences....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
the landscape is unique and protected for a reason because of the unqie geological forces at work... look it up...

Landscapes such as these inspired me as a child to pursue a career and get educated in earth sciences....
Inspiration is foreign to people like BL. He's Briddish.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
According to the reporter there are 'thousands' of these rock formations. I hardly think pushing 1 over is cause for a public hanging. I actually think it is a sad state of affairs when our society dictates a rock is of more importance than a human. Here we are with our govts over-taxing us and still engaged in deficit spending, banks robbing us every day through debt-based currency systems designed to keep us in perpetual debt that is impossible to ever pay off, and billions of humans living in poverty and squalor while CEOs get multi-million dollar bonuses yet some guy toppling a precariously balanced rock is big news and a crime. :roll:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
According to the reporter there are 'thousands' of these rock formations. I hardly think pushing 1 over is cause for a public hanging.
Not that I agree with a public hanging, theoretically speaking, it still beats shooting unarmed people for amusement or for doing their lawful job.

I actually think it is a sad state of affairs when our society dictates a rock is of more importance than a human.
Huh? Where did you get that nonsense?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, I think they were tools, but. I do have to admit though, if they could knock it over that easily, it was likely to come down anyway soon enough.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well, I think they were tools, but. I do have to admit though, if they could knock it over that easily, it was likely to come down anyway soon enough.
"Honest officer, the car was easy to destroy, it was rusty and already falling apart before me and my friends destroyed it"...

Hmmm.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"Honest officer, the car was easy to to destroy, it was rusty and already falling apart before me and my friends destroyed it"...

Hmmm.

Not really an apt comparison.

What's the criminal charge for moving a boulder in a national park?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sure, right up there with 'cow tipping'. You party animal.
The vet bill for broken ribs on cattle is higher than the value of the livestock. F*cking with livestock is an indictable offense.

Not really an apt comparison.

What's the criminal charge for moving a boulder in a national park?
Destroying Federal property is more than likely a felony.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The vet bill for broken ribs on cattle is higher than the value of the livestock. F*cking with livestock is an indictable offense.

Hey I wasn't the one that called it "fun".

Destroying Federal property is more than likely a felony.

Yes, I'd imagine the natural formations are a big draw of the park and would therefore have a value.