77% of Britons have spiritual beliefs

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is not good news for the atheist minority. Their attempts to impose their silly beliefs onto everyone else don't seem to be working. At least, not in Britain.

A new poll shows that, whilst organised religion - i.e. actually going to church or other religious establishments and worshipping - is actually falling, people are NOT becoming less spiritual. It seems that they merely cannot be bothered going to church, mosque, synagogue or temple.

A study for Christian think-tank Theos has found that 77% of Britons still believe in spiritual forces.

A quarter of Britons believe in angels, and 8% believe either they, or someone they knew, have experienced a miracle.

A majority of Britons are believers in the existence of a god.

30% believe in God “as a universal life force”, 30% in spirits and 12% in “a higher spiritual being that can’t be called God.”

Even 34% - a THIRD - on the NON-religious believe in the existence of some kind of spiritual being.

Nearly two in five Britons believe in the existence of a soul (39%), 32% in life after death, 26% in heaven, 16% in reincarnation, 13% in hell, and 13% in the power of deceased ancestors. In total, over half the British public (54%) holds at least one of these spiritual beliefs.

By comparison, only 13% of British adults agree with the statement “humans are purely material beings with no spiritual element”.

Amazingly, a quarter of NON-religious people agree with the statement that “humans are purely material beings with no spiritual element”.

Only a quarter of Britons do NOT believe in spiritual forces of any kind.

Post-religion poll finds most 'have spiritual beliefs'

18 October 2013
BBC News

The number of people going to church or following organised religion has fallen - yet the overwhelming majority of Britons still hold spiritual beliefs

Despite the falling popularity of organised religion, most people in the UK still believe in the power of spiritual forces, research suggests.

A study for the Christian think tank Theos recorded 77% as believing some things could not be explained by science or any other means.

Among the other findings, 8% said they or someone they knew had experienced a miracle, while one in four expressed a belief in angels.

ComRes surveyed just over 2,000 people.

"The study appears to confirm that, despite a steady decline in congregations and in formal religious belief, a sense of the spiritual remains strong in Britain," said the BBC's religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott.

'Post-religious Britain'

A quarter of Britons believe in angels, and over three quarters believe in spiritual forces

Only a quarter of those questioned thought spiritual forces had no influence on Earth.

And almost two-thirds of those who identified themselves as Christians thought such spiritual forces could influence people's thoughts or the natural world.

More than a third of the non-religious shared that belief.

Between 2001 and 2011, the proportion of people in England and Wales identifying themselves as Christian fell from 72% to 59%.

In the last census a quarter of the population said they had no religion - up from 15% 10 years earlier.

"Some secularists have concluded from these trends that over recent decades Britain has become more secular, or more sceptical, or more rational," says Theos in its "belief in post-religious Britain" report.

"But the picture is actually very different - more complex and more interesting - than that."

BBC News - Post-religion poll finds most 'have spiritual beliefs'

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
So the majority have an imaginary friend. Big deal.

Even with that friend it looks like their faith in organized religion is still going downhill pretty steadily. Thats nice to see.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
They left out fairies, Gnomes and Nature spirits. Many British are going back to their Celtic roots and trying to revive the Druidic religion. Unfortunately, the Romans did a good job of wiping most of their knowledge out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's all about frequencies. You can call the frequency whatever you want but the frequency remains a constant.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It's all about frequencies. You can call the frequency whatever you want but the frequency remains a constant.
You can even call it a frequency. :p

But ya, it is what it is and calling it whatever or imagining it to be whatever does not change what it is.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Is constant the same as eternal? And if yes is it evenly brought to bear simultaneously throughout creation? And is creation a place or a force or a marriage? Is the evil we feel in the world today only a temporary local disturbance in harmony? Will our tunes get better or worse with time? Constant yes but isn't the weather and climate also constant? Is it possible for humans to confuse the constant medium for the variable message?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Is constant the same as eternal? And if yes is it evenly brought to bear simultaneously throughout creation? And is creation a place or a force or the marriage? Is the evil we feel in the world today only a temporary local disturbance in harmony? Will our tunes get better or worse with time? Constant yes but isn't the weather and climate also constant?
You blew a fatty first thing this morning, didn't you?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What say you made that no.

Can these spirits save them from their own government do you think?
Which government is that? Those posers who get paid to give the illusion of democracy or those who are really in control? I think on a global scale and those in control of the planet. Those are the ones we need to focus our energy on.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The spirituality may be there but the faith is not in organized con artistry.
People have their own faith in what they believe. I kinda like the idea of
bring back the Druid's as someone with Celt history I can claim the Italians
and the Church deprived me of my faith and customs
Traditional religion is in a measure of trouble, not because of the belief system
but because the clergy mismanaged the message.
Oh the only part of the Druid thing I don't like is, I don't want to spend my
weekends building Stonehenges especial while the CFL is in season.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Which government is that? Those posers who get paid to give the illusion of democracy or those who are really in control? I think on a global scale and those in control of the planet. Those are the ones we need to focus our energy on.

Yes that's the one, her majestics royal zionist parliament.