Here We Go Again

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Erin Cox, Mass. teen, punished for trying to give drunk pal a ride

QMI Agency

Oct 15, 2013 , Last Updated: 2:58 PM ET

A Massachusetts teen who went to pick up her drunk friend from a party has been reprimanded by her high school's administration for violating its zero-tolerance alcohol policy.
Two weeks ago, Erin Cox, 17, received a call from her friend who was too drunk to drive home, CBS Boston reported. After work, Cox went to get her friend but moments after she arrived at the party, so did the police, busting all the teens.
Despite Cox being cleared of any wrongdoing, her school says she violated its zero-tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use. She was demoted from captain of the volleyball team and officials at North Andover High School told her she would be suspended for five games.
The family has hired a lawyer to help get the school's decision reversed.
Her mother, Eleanor, says school officials are in the wrong.
"She did what she thought was right and I'm very proud of her," she said.

Erin Cox, Mass. teen, punished for trying to give drunk pal a ride

Those damn kids and their sense of responsibility. When are they going to learn?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
this is definitely a WTF moment...... or...........the adminstration has shares in the local cab company and is ticked off because they lost a fare.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Since when can schools dictate what students do during non school hours?

To say nothing of the notion that young people like this girl as well as her drunken friend who had the where with all to call for a ride inside of driving is actually what you want your kids to do. But hey, let's do all that we can to discourage that nonsense.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I'm not sure why she was punished but we had a case here in the Twin cities a while ago where a girl got drunk at a party. What she didn't know was that her drink had been spiked and she was sexually abused. Unfortunately, she was poisoned by the drug that was put in her drink and she did not wake up.

There have been some discussions about this matter on local tv. The consensus here is that these teens need to be taken to hospitals as a precaution against poisonings and other abuses. Perhaps that is what the school district had in mind.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I'm not sure why she was punished but we had a case here in the Twin cities a while ago where a girl got drunk at a party. What she didn't know was that her drink had been spiked and she was sexually abused. Unfortunately, she was poisoned by the drug that was put in her drink and she did not wake up.

There have been some discussions about this matter on local tv. The consensus here is that these teens need to be taken to hospitals as a precaution against poisonings and other abuses. Perhaps that is what the school district had in mind.

ummmmmmm....did you read the article? Do you need someone to read it to you?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No need for sarcasm as it was reported on local tv. I was referring to the motivation behind the policy and this should be clear enough even to someone like you.

I really don't give a rats a$$ about their "motivation". Anyone with at least one working brain cell knows that what this young woman did was EXACTLY what she should have done. Period. Only an idiot would punish her for it. She didn't break their precious "zero tolerance" policy.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
That is NOT the point, genius.

In the case we had here (it's been a while so I forget the details), someone was charged for failing to take the teen to a hospital. They thought that by letting her sleep it off it would be enough. But it wasn't. Therefore, people now say every precaution needs to be taken such as by taking her to a hospital, not home. I don't know what condition this particular girl was in. But what if she was very drunk then choked and vomited in her sleep? It could result in death or incapacity. This is why locals now demand this type of precaution. Perhaps that's what they are thinking there.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That is NOT the point, genius.

In the case we had here (it's been a while so I forget the details), someone was charged for failing to take the teen to a hospital. They thought that by letting her sleep it off it would be enough. But it wasn't. Therefore, people now say every precaution needs to be taken such as by taking her to a hospital, not home. I don't know what condition this particular girl was in. But what if she was very drunk then choked and vomited in her sleep? It could result in death or incapacity. This is why locals now demand this type of precaution. Perhaps that's what they are thinking there.

again did you read the FU CKING ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!! The girl that got in shyte was NOT DRUNK!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the article.:roll:

My gawd..... talk about perpetuating my low opinion of the brain power of americans.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I know that genius - it was the other girl who was drunk. Erin could have been punished for not taking her to a hospital which is the point I've been trying to make but you are too dense to realize it.

Jeezo. Too many goddamn Canuckleheads with limited IQs in this friggin forum.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I know that genius - it was the other girl who was drunk. Erin could have been punished for not taking her to a hospital which is the point I've been trying to make but you are too dense to realize it.

She wasn't punished for that, she was punished for breaking their "zero tolerance"

here, I'll help you out. Read the red highlites.

A Massachusetts teen who went to pick up her drunk friend from a party has been reprimanded by her high school's administration for violating its zero-tolerance alcohol policy.
Two weeks ago, Erin Cox, 17, received a call from her friend who was too drunk to drive home, CBS Boston reported. After work, Cox went to get her friend but moments after she arrived at the party, so did the police, busting all the teens.
Despite Cox being cleared of any wrongdoing, her school says she violated its zero-tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use. She was demoted from captain of the volleyball team and officials at North Andover High School told her she would be suspended for five games.

Get it yet einstien? Nothing about not bringing her drunk friend to the hospital. All about breaking their zero tolerance policy when in actual fact she had NOT broken their fu cking policy. Typical american stupidity with equal stupidty from you in trying to "rationalize" and basically excuse your fellow countrymen's idiocy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The f.ucking idiot still doesn't understand the point I've been trying to make.

Sheee-ittt.

No, your point is not valid. You're hanging a left when you should have gone straight down the middle. Not my fault you're too stupid to stay on topic, and like every other extreme left wing brainless twat, you read into things that aren't there and come up with excuses as to why the kid deserves to be punished for doing the right thing.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

You're off on a totally bizarre tangent. she never got in trouble for what she did or did not do with her passenger, she got in trouble for 'violating the zero tolerance alcohol policy'.

For those wondering, my assumption is that the school can have all the policies it wants as they pertain to the social and sports extracurriculars of a school. Since these are not technically part of your child's guaranteed education, they can place all sorts of grade and behavioural rules on them. That, or it was a private school. Which, judging by the parents being able to afford to drag a lawyer into it, isn't impossible.

Sons of Liberty

Walks on Water
Aug 24, 2010
Evil Empire
Somebody shoot me, I am in full agreement with gerryh's posts.

You make it so easy to perpetuate the dumb *** American stereotype.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
You're off on a totally bizarre tangent. she never got in trouble for what she did or did not do with her passenger, she got in trouble for 'violating the zero tolerance alcohol policy'.

For those wondering, my assumption is that the school can have all the policies it wants as they pertain to the social and sports extracurriculars of a school. Since these are not technically part of your child's guaranteed education, they can place all sorts of grade and behavioural rules on them. That, or it was a private school. Which, judging by the parents being able to afford to drag a lawyer into it, isn't impossible.

And what I've been saying is that here in this state she could have gotten in trouble for failing to take her to a hospital as a precautionary measure because that's what happened a few years ago. And maybe, just maybe, this is part of their motivation even though it is not expressly stated in the article. That's all I've been trying to say but you brainless half wits cannot seem to understand it.

SOL,

You make it so easy to perpetuate the dumb *** American stereotype.

yeah just like you and other wingnuts do with the same old sh.it every night about criticizing socialized health care at home while these wannabes enjoy it every day

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
And what I've been saying is that here in this state she could have gotten in trouble for failing to take her to a hospital as a precautionary measure because that's what happened a few years ago. And maybe, just maybe, this is part of their motivation even though it is not expressly stated in the article. That's all I've been trying to say but you brainless half wits cannot seem to understand it.

which has nothing to do with the article whatsoever. ADD much? SQUIRREL!

yeah just like you and other wingnuts do with the same old sh.it every night about criticizing socialized health care at home while these wannabes enjoy it every day

Really? and what "socialized health care" would that be? You have "obama care" which is a very far cry from "socialized healthcare". If you, or anyone else down there thinks that Obama care is socialized health care, then no wonder ya's are so fu cked up.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
gerryh; said:
which has nothing to do with the article whatsoever. ADD much? SQUIRREL!

Really? and what "socialized health care" would that be? You have "obama care" which is a very far cry from "socialized healthcare". If you, or anyone else down there thinks that Obama care is socialized health care, then no wonder ya's are so fu cked up.

Well rose petal, had you read my post you would have known that indeed my reference was to a local incident and would not have been mentioned in that article.

As for socialized medicine, well after all, its you Tea Baggers who have been calling it that all along. ;)