London traffic warden defies five furious secret service agents

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
... to give Hillary Clinton a ticket

attaboy. :lol:

Argument: Hillary Clinton's security staff get into a row with a traffic warden whilst waiting for her in London

In discussion: The Westminster City Council warden put a penalty notice on the silver Mercedes car (centre)

• Westminster City Council warden puts penalty notice on her Mercedes
  • Clinton was attending an event at Chatham House to pick up an award
  • Given £80 fine for failing to buy a ticket while parked in £3.30/hour bay
  • Photographer claims he saw one agent flashing his badge to warden
  • Councillor: 'We have to be fair to everyone, regardless of their status'

what a shame:

Fearless traffic warden puts ticket on Hillary Clinton's car in London | Mail Online

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Absolutely priceless. I'm so tired of all these govt types thinking laws don't apply to them.

I doubt she had anything to do with it to be honest. I doubt she drove, I doubt she rented the car that did drive her, I doubt she was the one in her entourage responsible for paying the metre. And I doubt she had anything to do with the people who were supposed to take care of it, arguing it. There's a difference between thinking you're above the law, and being insulated from the realities of day to day trivial crap like paying a parking metre.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I doubt she had anything to do with it to be honest. I doubt she drove, I doubt she rented the car that did drive her, I doubt she was the one in her entourage responsible for paying the metre. And I doubt she had anything to do with the people who were supposed to take care of it, arguing it. There's a difference between thinking you're above the law, and being insulated from the realities of day to day trivial crap like paying a parking metre.
Yes, but we mustn't let anything like facts or reasonable interpretations interfere with our visceral hatred of Secretary Clinton.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Of course you are right but you must admit that the optics are funny .

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's not all.

The American embassy in London has run up more than 63,000 congestion charge penalties and owes British authorities more than £7.2 million in unpaid fines.

The London congestion charge was introduced in February 2003. It is a fee charged on most motor vehicles operating within the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ) in central London between 07:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday. It is not charged at weekends, public holidays or between Christmas Day and New Year's Day (inclusive). The standard charge is £10 for each day, for each non-exempt vehicle that travels within the zone with a penalty of between £60 and £187 levied for non-payment. Transport for London (TfL) is responsible for the charge.

Yet the Yanks have somehow contrived to avoid paying the charges.

British authorities should start chasing up the Americans and force them to pay the £7.2 million that they owe.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
That's not all.

The American embassy in London has run up more than 63,000 congestion charge penalties and owes British authorities more than £7.2 million in unpaid fines.

The London congestion charge was introduced in February 2003. It is a fee charged on most motor vehicles operating within the Congestion Charge Zone (CCZ) in central London between 07:00 and 18:00 Monday to Friday. It is not charged at weekends, public holidays or between Christmas Day and New Year's Day (inclusive). The standard charge is £10 for each day, for each non-exempt vehicle that travels within the zone with a penalty of between £60 and £187 levied for non-payment. Transport for London (TfL) is responsible for the charge.

Yet the Yanks have somehow contrived to avoid paying the charges.

British authorities should start chasing up the Americans and force them to pay the £7.2 million that they owe.

It's called 'diplomatic immunity'. Look it up and learn.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's called 'diplomatic immunity'. Look it up and learn.

Diplomats are exempt from most taxes, but not from "charges levied for specific services rendered" - such as the London congestion charge.

If they are exempt from paying the charge, London Mayor Boris Johnson would not have complained about the American embassy not paying it when he met with Obama in London in May 2012.

In fact, since Johnson complained to Obama, American congestion charge dodging has RISEN.

The Yanks are not the only offenders, but they are by far the worst.

Johnson's spokesman said: “The continued failure of several embassies to pay the congestion charge is unacceptable.

"The charge is absolutely not a tax, it should be paid and the Mayor will continue to make that very clear when meeting the representatives of any embassy failing to pay.”

The Foreign Office says that the charge is for “a service rendered for which there are no legal grounds to exempt diplomats”.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What was the service rendered?

Johnson's spokesman said: “The continued failure of several embassies to pay the congestion charge is unacceptable.

"The charge is absolutely not a tax, it should be paid and the Mayor will continue to make that very clear when meeting the representatives of any embassy failing to pay.”

The Foreign Office says that the charge is for “a service rendered for which there are no legal grounds to exempt diplomats”.