Are you having turkey this weekend?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Are you having turkey this weekend?

Preparations are already underway for a massive Thanksgiving meal in Vancouver's Downtown East Side.

More than a dozen Vancouver Culinary College students are helping make 3,000 turkey dinners for the Union Gospel Mission.

"It's all about the general public, the Downtown East Side people, the residents. By far they're the ones who are going to benefit. But on the same note, also the staff and the volunteers also benefit from it, too," said Randy Spark, kitchen manager at the Union Gospel Mission.

"It's such a nice feeling at the end of the day to go home and know that you've actually really helped out somebody, I just can't describe the great feeling that it is at the end of the day."

For Monday's Thanksgiving feast, the Union Gospel Mission charity expects to serve:

• more than 1500 kilograms of turkey (about 160 birds).
  • 360 kilograms of mashed potatoes.
  • 300 litres of gravy.
  • 800 pumpkin pies.

Source: Are you having turkey this weekend? - British Columbia - CBC News

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Yes, I made 3 pies yesterday, and accidentally bought a much larger turkey that I need, oh well, I can freeze a lot of it. I forgot to get cranberry sauce, so I will have to make it, for the one person in the family who likes it.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
It is just and fitting that as Canadians in these circumstances that having listened to political turkeys gobble the rest of the year, that we feast on them at least once or twice.
As a child, I was intimidated by turkeys gathering about me in the farmyard ; I didn't realize they were simply seeking my vote.
I will be eating cold turkey sandwiches when listening to the Wednesday throne speech.

On the Prairies, the scent of high-bush cranberries, when the leaves turn golden in the valleys, was the scent of fall and abundance. High-bush cranberry sauce, made from scratch, is the true accompaniment to the birds, just as buffalo-berry sauce is the essential for bison.

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Had dinner at the in-laws yesterday.

It was a glazed ham the size of two men and a boy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Of course...

Farm fresh Turkey... err... Two Turkey's, to the tune of 25lbs each.

We had company last night.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yup. celebrated yesterday then had to rush home for Walking Dead like most of everyone else there

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It is just and fitting that as Canadians in these circumstances that having listened to political turkeys gobble the rest of the year, that we feast on them at least once or twice.
As a child, I was intimidated by turkeys gathering about me in the farmyard ; I didn't realize they were simply seeking my vote.
I will be eating cold turkey sandwiches when listening to the Wednesday throne speech.

On the Prairies, the scent of high-bush cranberries, when the leaves turn golden in the valleys, was the scent of fall and abundance. High-bush cranberry sauce, made from scratch, is the true accompaniment to the birds, just as buffalo-berry sauce is the essential for bison.

Add some good German mustard to that sandwich. Knorr hot mustard, turkey sandwich, good cheese.