Woman loses job after trying to stop shoplifter

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Woman loses job after trying to stop shoplifter

When Lowe's employee Karen Sizemore saw a man shoplifting from her Kentucky store, she says she snapped: "It was just the adrenaline rush, I'm not taking it anymore. You just get to the point where you're so tired of people stealing from you." So Karen, a grandmother and 18-year employee of the chain, followed the thief out to his car and reached into the backseat trying to retrieve the Dewalt tool kit, valued at $600. She wasn't able to get it but she did get the man's license plate number and car make, leading to his arrest. The incident made her a minor celebrity in town and with her coworkers, who nicknamed her "Rambo." But the pursuit also backfired, when Karen was fired this week. Fighting back tears she explains, "their explanation was I put myself and other people in danger and they fired me." Lowe's issued a public statement: "Our policies are in place for the safety of our workers. We have very specific guidelines when it comes to handling potential shoplifters, to ensure the well being of not only our team but our customers." The corporate office has since added that they will further investigate the incident. Find more WLKY.

Video and Source here: - Yahoo Screen

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Proof that no good dead goes unpunished.

An apt typo.

The implication of 'Grant's law' in BC is a good example of why employers have rules and regulations in place regarding doing brash things like this. Companies actually see people die over stuff like this.

That being said, the fact that they fired rather than disciplined her though (write up, suspension, there are a lot of other options), speaks to the fact that they wanted her gone for other reasons on top of this one.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
....the fact that they fired rather than disciplined her though (write up, suspension, there are a lot of other options), speaks to the fact that they wanted her gone for other reasons on top of this one.
My thoughts exactly-18 years is a super long time in retail so she had a history with the place not all of it positive.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That being said, the fact that they fired rather than disciplined her though (write up, suspension, there are a lot of other options), speaks to the fact that they wanted her gone for other reasons on top of this one.

Nah, no way.. I know a Costco employee who got awards, never missed a day and management could not say enough about the lady.

She pulled the same crap, and was fired.

It's a policy many US companies have, do not leave the store.. just call the police.. take a license plate.. they are looking at a $600 item vs a law suite against the company if anyone is injured or falsely accused.. it's all about Liability.

Same crap happen to me while I was assistant manager of a Chevron store in Texas, fukker didn't pay for the gas, I ran out the door, and landed behind the car and got his license plate. The 30 year old man's mother came to pay for his gas and he avoided charges.

I was told not to ever do that again, and explained why.. it's all about LIABILITY.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Nah, no way.. I know a Costco employee who got awards, never missed a day and management could not say enough about the lady.

It's a policy many US companies have, do not leave the store.. just call the police.. take a license plate.. they are looking at a $600 item vs a law suite against the company if anyone is injured or falsely accused.. it's all about Liability.

Same crap happen to me while I was assistant manager of a Chevron store in Texas, fukker didn't pay for the gas, I ran out the door, and landed behind the car and got his license plate. The 30 year old man's mother came to pay for his gas and he avoided charges.

I was told not to ever do that again, and explained why.. it's all about LIABILITY.

Yes it's about liability. It is HUGELY expensive for companies when their employees get killed. It's also horrid for morale.

The fact of the matter is that people do die doing this stuff. That's where 'Grant's Law' came from in BC.

Which really speaks to the fact that that if she was a valued employee, she wouldn't have been fired.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Do you honestly think any employee is a valued employee in these big warehouse chain stores, Costco, Walmart, Lowes, whatever, whatever..

It's all about dollars.. they don't care.

I've been a Wal-Mart employee.

Did I think Wal-Mart gave a ****? No. But, my managers did. They were actually pretty awesome.

And, in order to get fired, like most employers in Canada, you needed to be in pretty serious fault. ie., you needed a record of things done wrong, not just one oops.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes it's about liability. It is HUGELY expensive for companies when their employees get killed. It's also horrid for morale.

The fact of the matter is that people do die doing this stuff. That's where 'Grant's Law' came from in BC.

bumpity bump bump

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
She should have been given a medal, not sacked.

It's another example of our Loony Lefty leaders being on the side of the criminal rather than the victim.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
So the guy was stealing a 'retail value' $600.00 Made in China tool set that was likely worth $20.00 to Lowes and this minimum wage employee has decided to take ownership values with her?

And WalMart won't hire her now.............

Devoted Walmart Worker Runs Over Shoplifter

--Incensed that a high school student attempted to steal some DVDs and video games from the Texas Walmart where he worked, a store worker allegedly followed the teenager out of the store, got into his car, and slammed the vehicle into the victim, according to police

The confrontation between Lance Ferguson, a 33-year-old “cart pusher,” and Dominique Mason, 18, occurred last month at a Walmart in Houston. Ferguson was charged this week with aggravated assault, a felony, and is being held in the Harris County jail in lieu of $30,000 bail.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Mason, a high school senior, was confronted by Ferguson on July 10 after he “picked up a few DVDs and games and decided to put them back.”

“Why are you stealing out of my store?” Ferguson yelled. “I should whip your ***.”

After claiming to Ferguson that he was not intending to shoplift, the teenager left the store and headed home on foot. As he walked through the parking lot of a nearby business, Mason “heard a vehicle drive up behind him and then he was struck in the right side of his body.”

The teen, who rolled on top of the car’s hood and then fell to the ground, told Houston Police Department officers that Ferguson--still wearing his Walmart vest and hat--exited the red sedan and began yelling, “Don’t come back to my store. You want to steal from my store?”

Pictured at left, Mason, who was treated for back injuries at a local hospital, identified Ferguson from a photo array prepared by cops.

When questioned by cops, Ferguson acknowledged having a confrontation with Mason inside Walmart, but denied pursuing the teen outside the store. However, store surveillance video showed that Ferguson left the parking lot in “a four door sedan vehicle and returned within ten minutes during his shift, while wearing his uniform.”

Ferguson, is no longer a Walmart employee.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/devoted-walmart-employee-687341

And who can forget this.............

The customer is recovering in hospital and underwent surgery to remove his spleen, part of his pancreas and part of a kidney.

Police said the 54-year-old customer then chased the suspects into the parking lot, where he was shot in the abdomen.

Earl advises those facing a similar situation to avoid intervening and cooperate.

"If somebody is demanding your money or your watch, cooperate with them, because we don't want people getting hurt."

Man arrested in west-end TD Bank robbery | 680News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"If somebody is demanding your money or your watch, cooperate with them,
because we don't want people getting hurt."

I'm not cooperating with them. I don't cooperate with wankers trying to steal my money or watch. I'll tell them to get stuffed. If they want money they can get a job.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
She should have been given a medal, not sacked.

It's another example of our Loony Lefty leaders being on the side of the criminal rather than the victim.

Did you not read ANY of the above posts? It is all about liability. It has nothing at all to do with being soft on crime.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Did you not read ANY of the above posts? It is all about liability. It has nothing at all to do with being soft on crime.

Soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime.

Typical liberal do-gooding hand-wringers.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime.

Typical liberal do-gooding hand-wringers.

The real crime is the amount of money lawyers and the workers compensation board will extract from the company if an employee gets hurt.
The construction company I work for which is a US based company claims it costs $1 million by the time the dust clears when an employee gets killed at work. That is why we have a safety program that makes it so difficult to do our jobs in a timely manner. Loosing a $600 item is cheap in comparison.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The real crime is the amount of money lawyers and the workers compensation board will extract from the company if an employee gets hurt.
The construction company I work for which is a US based company claims it costs $1 million by the time the dust clears when an employee gets killed at work. That is why we have a safety program that makes it so difficult to do our jobs in a timely manner. Loosing a $600 item is cheap in comparison.

To be honest with you, when some numpty is trying to steal my watch or my mobile phone the amount of money that the workers compensation board will get is the least of my concern.

My concern is to get rid of the numpties without giving them my money or my mobile. Sod the workers compensation board.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
And, in order to get fired, like most employers in Canada, you needed to be in pretty serious fault. ie., you needed a record of things done wrong, not just one oops.

But with low wage employees, they need a lawyer to fight and living paycheque to paycheque cannot fight so they do it because they can get away with it.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

You were supposed to take the License plate number, not rip the plate off his truck with your bear hands...