Calgary's top cop Rick Hanson

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Note: Rick Hanson has just had his contract renewed for another 5 years. Less than a month after the renewal, he comes up with this gem.

Calgary’s top cop says allowing police to take DNA samples from suspects prior to a conviction is “the right thing to do.”

At an event celebrating 100 years of crime scene investigation in Calgary Wednesday, Chief Rick Hanson said while fingerprinting and photographing suspects used to be the cutting edge identification techniques, times have changed and DNA testing is the new gold standard.
“At some point in time, the Identification of Criminals Act will be modified, we hope in policing, so that we can take DNA samples on arrest,” said Hanson during his speech.
Later, the chief told reporters while the move would be new to Canada, there are already places in Europe that allow it.
“It just makes too much sense that the federal legislation be amended to include DNA samples upon arrest,” he said, citing two reasons.
“Number 1, you ensure that you’ve got the right person, that he is who he says he is, and Number 2, it would clear huge numbers of crimes where we have evidence, but we haven’t yet linked that evidence to the perpetrator.”
However, he admits making the change would probably be much easier said than done.
“There’s a thousand reasons that people would say no and there’s only one reason to go ahead with it and that’s because it’s the right thing to do in this day and age,” he said.
Alberta Justice Minister and Solicitor General Jonathan Denis said while the power to change the legislation is in the federal government’s hands, he hopes a couple of things would be taken into account if such an amendment were to be considered.
“If the federal government would decide to explore this, I think they should look at constitutional rights and privacy concerns,” he said.
Denis noted courts can already require DNA samples from convicted criminals, but the move Hanson is speaking of would allow police to collect DNA from suspects.
Hanson’s suggestion doesn’t sit well with Hal Joffe, president of the Rocky Mountain Civil Liberties Association.
“It should be mandatory that DNA samples be taken, if at all, only after a conviction,” he said. “I appreciate that the police would have an easier job if citizens were required to self-incriminate in the manner Chief Hanson wishes.

Calgary's top cop Rick Hanson wants to obtain DNA records from everyone who gets arrested | Calgary | News | Calgary Sun

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
These cops always look for ways to take away your rights of being proven guilty in a court of law before taking away your liberty.
They want to judge you and apply punishment based on their say so alone.

Taking your finger prints, photo or even a DNA sample might be appropriate in certain circumstances, but not before it is proven in a court of law the person is guilty.
A Cop can arrest a person very easily, but because a person is arrested, it should not mean that immediately he gets his pic and finger prints taken and put on file for life. The person can be proven to be innocent. But now, the cops have his prints, photo and now they want your DNA.

The issue with the Media is another loss of your liberty. As soon as a person is arrested, the media is free to broadcast your name. But in a court of law you could be proven innocent. But the damage to (you or) the persons reputation had already been done by the cops and the media.
The cops like the system the way it is because they can punish you even if the Judge says your innocent.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Can you say "Orwellian Police State"! They want to build a database of everyone's DNA. Next will be a request to allow them to take DNA for a speeding ticket or parking ticket or just so they can have it on file.

There is also a misnomer that if you are found not guilty or have charges dropped your prints and pics will be destroyed. They are supposed to be by law but usually they are not unless you file a specific request. Even then they will not clear any info from CPIC regarding you being arrested and charged.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Note: Rick Hanson has just had his contract renewed for another 5 years. Less than a month after the renewal, he comes up with this gem.

Calgary’s top cop says allowing police to take DNA samples from suspects prior to a conviction is “the right thing to do.”

Calgary's top cop Rick Hanson wants to obtain DNA records from everyone who gets arrested | Calgary | News | Calgary Sun

I think Hanson's method could make crime solving easier down the road and hence cut costs of law enforcement.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I think Hanson's method could make crime solving easier down the road and hence cut costs of law enforcement.

Are you willing to give up your rights for that JLM? What about the rights of your children & grandchildren? Maintaining some semblance of freedom means sometimes doing some things the hard way and at a higher cost but I am willing to pay that bill to keep the govt out of my life as much as possible. I won't even go into detail about the possibilities for abuse when they already have your DNA on hand and think you did it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm of two minds.

1. it's a breach of rights.

2. it's indiscernible from current policy regarding fingerprinting, so what is the real difference?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Are you willing to give up your rights for that JLM? What about the rights of your children & grandchildren? Maintaining some semblance of freedom means sometimes doing some things the hard way and at a higher cost but I am willing to pay that bill to keep the govt out of my life as much as possible. I won't even go into detail about the possibilities for abuse when they already have your DNA on hand and think you did it.

I hear you Nick but one has to examine these so called "rights". Personally I don't really give a rat's a$$ if someone knows what my D.N.A. is. It's just one more identifier like finger prints, complexion, hair colour, height, weight, tattoo markings, blood type, dental work etc. etc. etc. But by giving up that "right" it might facilitate your right to have an assaulter identified. If I can see a benefit cancelling out a liability I'll take it every time.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I'm of two minds.

1. it's a breach of rights.

2. it's indiscernible from current policy regarding fingerprinting, so what is the real difference?

I think there are 2 glaring differences.

1- It violates due process. What he is proposing is they be able to take your DNA upon arrest. Fingerprints and mug-shot are only allowed upon you being charged and only for identification purposes, not investigative purposes. Right now they can ask the court to order a DNA sample after someone is charged and it is rarely refused.

2- It is a lot easier to plant a sample of DNA than it is a mug-shot or a fingerprint.

There is also the consideration they wish to keep all samples on file forever creating a permanent database of every individual and having the ability to tie all that in with other govt agencies and under the security agreement it would be accessible to the US without a warrant.

It is just so wrong on so many levels unless your rights and freedoms mean nothing to you.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I hear you Nick but one has to examine these so called "rights". Personally I don't really give a rat's a$$ if someone knows what my D.N.A. is. It's just one more identifier like finger prints, complexion, hair colour, height, weight, tattoo markings, blood type, dental work etc. etc. etc. But by giving up that "right" it might facilitate your right to have an assaulter identified. If I can see a benefit cancelling out a liability I'll take it every time.

You have to remember buddy. I value my privacy and am well known for being anti-govt. I am involved with a couple of organizations that promote smaller, more accountable, less intrusive govt and the govt knows who I am and what I do already.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
F*ck Rick Hanson and the horse he rode in on.

I think the main thing is it provides one more tool for crime solving and I think whatever can be done within reason to reduce policing costs needs to be seriously considered. Not to mention making for a safer environment.

You have to remember buddy. I value my privacy and am well known for being anti-govt. I am involved with a couple of organizations that promote smaller, more accountable, less intrusive govt and the govt knows who I am and what I do already.

I'm anti government as well and I think more use of D.N.A. could result in less gov't. involvement, like maybe one detective working on a case instead of five.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think the main thing is it provides one more tool for crime solving and I think whatever can be done within reason to reduce policing costs needs to be seriously considered. Not to mention making for a safer environment.

More tools?

They may as well just take you keys so you don't drive and hurt yourself or somebody else.

Is that a tool you'd go for?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

I'm anti government as well and I think more use of D.N.A. could result in less gov't. involvement, like maybe one detective working on a case instead of five.

I think you miss the point. They can already request DNA in pretrial and it is very rarely denied and it can only be used for the trial if you are found not guilty. What they propose is to take it automatically upon arrest and keep it in a data-bank forever.

I am not blind it could possibly solve a few more crimes a bit quicker but the ramifications of a permanent bank of DNA samples is just too open to abuse by any govt. It is far to much of a step towards that Orwellian society in 1984.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
More tools?

They may as well just take you keys so you don't drive and hurt yourself or somebody else.

Is that a tool you'd go for?

I think taking your keys causes a little more inconvenience than taking your D.N.A. Anyway they can take your D.N.A. any time they feel like it without your even knowing about it.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
. Anyway they can take your D.N.A. any time they feel like it without your even knowing about it.
I suspect your right and they probably do take samples of suspected criminals without their knowing, but at least it's not an official sample and probably can't be used in a court of law. If that's any cancellation !!!

*consolation*

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

OK, you first.
You might feel a little pinch from the needle, there's nothing to it, and you get a lollypop.