Grandfather writes passionate letter in gay grandson’s defence (against his own daugh

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Grandfather writes passionate letter in gay grandson’s defence (against his own daughter)

https://www.facebook.com/fckh8com

Grandfather writes passionate letter in gay grandson’s defence (against his own daughter) - The Globe and Mail

The bluntly beautiful letter first appeared this week on the Facebook page of FCKH8.com. Speaking with wisdom that usually comes only with age, the unnamed grandfather tells his daughter, named Christine: “You’re correct that we have a ‘shame in the family’ but mistaken about what it is.”

He continues: “Kicking Chad out of your home simply because he told you he was gay is the real ‘abomination’ here. A parent disowning her child is what goes ‘against nature.’ ”

Whether knowingly or not, the grandfather gives a nod to Lady Gaga in his defense of his grandson: “He was born this way and didn’t choose it any more than he being left-handed.”

And because grandparents usually know how to hit just the right nerve, the old boy delivers the kicker:

“So, while we are in the business of abandoning our children, I think I’ll take this moment to say goodbye to you. I now have a fabulous (as the gay put it) grandson to raise, and I don’t have time for heartless B-word of a daughter.”

Since being posted on Monday, the letter has generated more than 8,000 likes and 3,000 comments overwhelmingly in support of the grandfather’s comments.

“Bestest gramps ever!!! He wins the Internet,” wrote Megan Woodcock Keegan. From Lauren Moose Boland: “Go Grandpa!!!! I swear our parents’ parents were more open-minded than our parents.”

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
A sad story if its true, but I still like the letter. He didnt cut her off completely in it. He left it open for her to reconsider - though in a backhanded way. Personally i wouldnt want anything to do with someone who threw an underaged kid out on the streets - family or not. Especially not for the reason she did it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
A sad story if its true, but I still like the letter. He didnt cut her off completely in it. He left it open for her to reconsider - though in a backhanded way. Personally i wouldnt want anything to do with someone who threw an underaged kid out on the streets - family or not. Especially not for the reason she did it.
Families can be driven apart for a variety of reasons, some can be over minor things that grow out of proportion.
Or something as large as this is for the son
The door to bringing the family back together should be kept open.
Everyone loses on a family split.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Families can be driven apart for a variety of reasons, some can be over minor things that grow out of proportion.

Sometimes you do need to cut away dead wood though. Carrying a negative force simply because of blood ties is not always the best option for everyone's health and harmony.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sometimes you do need to cut away dead wood though. Carrying a negative force simply because of blood ties is not always the best option for everyone's health and harmony.
I agree, but it depends upon the circumstances.
I have seen families split over 1 getting a divorce to monies lent and then over pure stupidity.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree, but it depends upon the circumstances.
I have seen families split over 1 getting a divorce to monies lent and then over pure stupidity.

Sure if it's stupid and superficial, I'd agree. But something as serious as disowning a child....you have to be some kind of heartless to do that. I have a hard time imagining that a mother who would do ever brought much joy to anyone's life.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Turning one's back on a family member is never easy, often heart-breaking and brings sadness to everyone, no matter the reason.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Most of these things come from emotion not reason or a false belief system.
I remember years ago having a dispute with a cousin. It was about thirty years
ago. She contacted me when her brother died. The stupid part of it was
neither of us was clear as to what started it all in the first place.
These disputes often affect other family members as well and are best never
entered into.
Religion often is the source of affliction and its unfortunate.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Turning one's back on a family member is never easy, often heart-breaking and brings sadness to everyone, no matter the reason.

It can sometimes take years or decades for the person turning their back to realize that. It took my father about fifteen years. Too late. I dont hold any sort of grudge or anything against him for leaving. I have my life, he has his and our paths seldom cross.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Hate to say it, but not always. Sometimes a split is the healthiest way for people to move forward. Family can't be chosen but can be escaped and sometimes should be and without guilt.

yeah hadn't reached your post yet before saying much the same. totally agree

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hate to say it, but not always. Sometimes a split is the healthiest way for people to move forward. Family can't be chosen but can be escaped and sometimes should be and without guilt.

yeah hadn't reached your post yet before saying much the same. totally agree
At times it is the only possible decision.
Regardless, cutting all ties does leave an emotional mark. People just do not see it in themselves.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It can sometimes take years or decades for the person turning their back to realize that. It took my father about fifteen years. Too late. I dont hold any sort of grudge or anything against him for leaving. I have my life, he has his and our paths seldom cross.
too bad for him, he is missing out big time

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I am sure most of us are familiar with people where families have split over idiocy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yep. Why should one endure an unpleasant or destructive person one would otherwise have nothing to do with merely because that person is related?