Saskatoon shifts to non-specific religious prayer, but fight not over for atheist who

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
For those Atheists that cannot sit and ignore a non denominational Blessing, well it does speak to their tolerance does it not?

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/1...ight-not-over-for-atheist-who-made-complaint/

Saskatoon shifts to non-specific religious prayer, but fight not over for atheist who made complaint

The City of Saskatoon is fighting calls to ban religious prayer from city events, asking its solicitor to find a way to maintain the tradition in the 130-year-old city founded by temperance Christians while being as inclusive as possible of residents in the rapidly growing city.

At a meeting Monday night, city council received a report written partly in response to a so-far unresolved human rights complaint objecting to a councillor reciting a Christian prayer at a volunteer breakfast in April 2012.

The report laid out three options: forego prayer at civic events entirely, have a moment of silence instead or script general and inclusive language to use that will incorporate spirituality but not name a particular deity.

Council’s executive committee “unanimously” opted for option three, Mayor Don Atchison said Tuesday — a decision he thinks will help a tradition while better representing and serving a city with a greater influx of immigrants every year. The city solicitor was sent back to the drawing board to come up with guidelines — she’s expected back to the committee in four to six weeks.

The atheists, however, are not impressed. Resident and community activist Ashu Solo filed the human rights complaint against the mayor’s office and Ward 5 Councillor Randy Donauer, who rose at the April 2012 volunteer banquet and recited a short grace at the request of the mayor. The only acceptable choice, the electrical and computer engineer says, is to not have a prayer at all.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Two sides to this, first this is what happens when a small rural town setting turns
into a big city, the old ways are under pressure. On the other hand why is it that
every bloody group has to have their way and take everything to court? What
harm is a prayer nondenominational or other wise. I am not religious nor do I
go to church but I don't begrudge people saying a prayer how petty can we get
in society? Oh I think churches should obey the laws of the land and they should
pay their taxes and be responsible for statements they make but saying a prayer
is no big deal

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Two sides to this, first this is what happens when a small rural town setting turns
into a big city, the old ways are under pressure. On the other hand why is it that
every bloody group has to have their way and take everything to court? What
harm is a prayer nondenominational or other wise. I am not religious nor do I
go to church but I don't begrudge people saying a prayer how petty can we get
in society? Oh I think churches should obey the laws of the land and they should
pay their taxes and be responsible for statements they make but saying a prayer
is no big deal

Tolerance for this person is only for others to observe and adhere to.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Rub a dub dub,
thanks for the grub.

Non denominational, non-religious. Even an atheist could get on board with that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Rub a dub dub,
thanks for the grub.

Non denominational, non-religious. Even an atheist could get on board with that.
Not all, until the laws and HRC rulings are clear the waste of time and money will continue.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If the speaker decides he/she wants thank God on behalf of the majority and the rest don't like it, they can shut up or f*ck off.

Tolerance goes both ways.

Bloody whiners.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If the HRC has any brains they will call it a frivolous suit and punt his azz.

Problem is the HRC supports a claimant when it proceeds. The person/ company / city suck up the costs.
Courts in Canada can issue an order preventing a person from pursuing suits as you mention.
Problem is the Prov HRC's do not have this authority, nor can they assign costs for such BS complaints.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Heaven forbid that an Atheist hears a prayer and being so weak of conviction of his or her beliefs or disbeliefs that they suddenly start believing in a God.

Last edited: