Grizzly bear attack hospitalizes Northern B.C. hunter

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Grizzly bear attack hospitalizes Northern B.C. hunter

Conservation officers are combing through the eastern slopes of Butler Ridge Provincial Park in northern B.C., after a grizzly bear attacked a hunter over the weekend.

Ed Basha, 60, from Hudson's Hope, B.C., was hunting alone near the northern part of the park on Saturday when he says he was attacked by the bear.

He suffered injuries to his face and his upper and lower body, but he was able to walk to his car and drive to get help.

According to unconfirmed reports, he then drove to the nearest home, where a woman then took him to a nearby oil and gas camp.

A medic at the camp was able to keep him stable until he was airlifted to a hospital in Fort St. John, B.C. He was then transferred to an Edmonton hospital where he remains in stable condition.

Conservation officer Brad Lacey said they have not been able to locate the bear or the exact location of the attack.

"That's been the biggest hurdle," he said. "He was alone, no one had witnessed it, nobody was with him at the time. Being able to locate that spot of the attack has been problematic."

Conservation officers plan to interview the man to learn more about the attack. According to the B.C. Parks website, the Conservation Officer Service has sent a predator attack team to the park and is requesting people to stay clear of the area until the investigation is complete.

Lacey said bear encounters are more common this time of the year as the animals search for food in preparation for winter.

Butler Ridge Provincial Park is located in the Peace River Regional District near Hudson's Hope.

source: Grizzly bear attack hospitalizes Northern B.C. hunter - British Columbia - CBC News

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ya, so? The hunter became the hunted. Fair is fair. Why does he have more rights than the bear? Leave the bear alone. He was only being what he is. Going into bear territory is dealing with them on their terms. If a bear comes into our territory, it is usually shot - our terms. The putz shouldn't have been out there on his own anyway.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Although i love nature and all its animals... The bear should be hunted so as this doesn't happen to someone who isn't capable of defending themselves. Like a jogger or the babysitter taking your kid out for a walk.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Although i love nature and all its animals... The bear should be hunted so as this doesn't happen to someone who isn't capable of defending themselves. Like a jogger or the babysitter taking your kid out for a walk.

This didn't happen in a populated area, the babysitter is not at risk.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Thems the breaks. And, I'm pretty certain that if a grizzly wanted to kill this dude, he'd be dead.

It's an occupational hazard of hunting in bear country folks.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
""Ed Basha, 60, from Hudson's Hope, B.C., was hunting alone near the northern part of the park on Saturday when he says he was attacked by the bear.""

He was hunting alone

With a gun ??

You have to point and shoot.

Suppose it could get a tad perilous when the bear gets within 3 or so feet..............:lol:

Some years ago a park ranger was on patrol in Alaska when he spotted a Grizz. The ranger carried a .44 mag. revolver, but the bear attacked and he (ranger) was killed. Never had a chance to draw it.................the gun that is. They found his pencil and sketch pad in some bear scat.
:roll:...........so I heard.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
People invariably pay the price when they choose to be stupid. A good Karelian bear dog is easy to raise as they are smart and fearless. Feed them plenty of meat and they will remain loyal for life. If I lived up in the North country I would raise one for hunting moose and bears (but not for hunting my fellow rodents).

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
People invariably pay the price when they choose to be stupid. A good Karelian bear dog is easy to raise as they are smart and fearless. Feed them plenty of meat and they will remain loyal for life. If I lived up in the North country I would raise one for hunting moose and bears (but not for hunting my fellow rodents).

the problem with raising aggressive dogs is that they aren't always discerning in what they kill, and unless he lived where he was hunting, that can cause major issues for other people, cattle, dogs, kids, etc.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Karelian bear dogs are territorial but very smart as well. True, if another dog strays into his territory a Karelian will attack but If trained properly they don't prowl around looking to attack other animals.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Karelian bear dogs are territorial but very smart as well. True, if another dog strays into his territory a Karelian will attack but If trained properly they don't prowl around looking to attack other animals.

"If trained properly"................That's the part I have trouble with, Goober. Ya never know if they are.

It's a big WOOPS!! ---- as the 90 year old gramma lays bleeding on the sidewalk. -- with no throat.

But hey, given the demographics, there's gonna be lots of 90 year old grammas.

THOR - KILL !!

:lol:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I'm just a little better looking than Goober. But from what I've heard Karelians are a lot smarter than pitbulls. There is far less danger with them around as they are not attack dogs but hunting dogs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm just a little better looking than Goober. But from what I've heard Karelians are a lot smarter than pitbulls. There is far less danger with them around as they are not attack dogs but hunting dogs.

What you've heard. So you're not even actually familiar with the breed?

It's all well and good to say what you would do if you lived in bear country. But declaring someone else stupid, declaring how it 'should' be done, when you don't even know for sure.... it sits wrong gopher.