Flour Made From Insects Will Feed Underfed Populations

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A team of MBA students were the recipients of the 2013 Hult Prize earlier this week, providing them with $1 million in seed money to produce an insect-based, protein-rich flour for feeding malnourished populations in other countries. The product is called Power Flour.

"It's a huge deal because we had a very ambitious but highly executable five-year plan in place," said team captain Mohammed Ashour, whose team hails from McGill University in Montreal. "So winning this prize is a great step in that direction."

Ashour, along with teammates Shobhita Soor, Jesse Pearlstein, Zev Thompson and Gabe Mott, will be immediately working with an advisory board to recruit farmers and workers in Mexico, where a population of roughly 4 million live in slum conditions with widespread malnutrition.

"We will be starting with grasshoppers," Ashour said.

more

Flour Made From Insects Will Feed Underfed Populations - ABC News

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've got two ribbons of flypaper hanging up in my home, one in the living room and one in the kitchen. Both are now covered with the corpses of bluebottles and daddy longlegs that struggled for days to get free before succumbing.

I'm willing to sell all the corpses for good money to those students to make flour with.

£50 for each fly will do nicely.

As for the flypaper, I'm willing to sell that to a Victorian woman, who wants to boil it down and use the arsenic to murder her husband with, or vice versa.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Chapulinie flour hmmm mmmh ........

The mexicans are going to love that ****, ive seen zapotecs eat them ****ing things right on the spot.....

Yeah, they eat anything those Mexicans. A bit like the Chinese. And the French. As long as it's got legs, they eat it.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
because they are stuck in the routine of surviving...... While us in our society have enough of the excess's to do stuff like rock climbing, cry about the multiplayer on a video game, and oh yea help other people

How did we get that way? Win a lottery?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
because they are stuck in the routine of surviving...... While us in our society have enough of the excess's to do stuff like rock climbing, cry about the multiplayer on a video game, and oh yea help other people

*standing applause*

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
In mexicos case we didnt have a ****ed up history of revolutions after colonialism... So in ours to theirs case, id say because we have more stable government

stability, temperate climate, low population density... we've got a lot going for us. A lot of people don't realize we've basically won the lottery by being lucky enough to be born here.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I wonder what kinds of insects and how many insects come with regular flour? :shock: