School suspends student for brandishing ...

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
too bad they aren't as quick to respond to bullying as they are to a pen

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
If it were my kid the principal would certainly keep the pen....in fact you could be sure he would require a surgeon if he wanted to be rid of it. All I can really come up with on this is the famous quote from Forrest Gump...."Stupid is as Stupid does"!!!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why do stupid people get hired to teach our children?

Given how little teachers get paid in most places down there you'd be hard pressed to find really good ones.

I hope the principal does not win this one.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Why do stupid people get hired to teach our children?
They aren't stupid. Stupid would be continuing to get ceaseless grief and hassle from parents, legislators, school board officials, and "education professionals" (as opposed to teachers) for trying to be fair and reasonable. If all you're going to get is an unending rain of sh*t for demonstrating sound judgement, it's smarter just to apply the rules automatically, rigidly, and without exception.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They aren't stupid. Stupid would be continuing to get ceaseless grief and hassle from parents, legislators, school board officials, and "education professionals" (as opposed to teachers) for trying to be fair and reasonable. If all you're going to get is an unending rain of sh*t for demonstrating sound judgement, it's smarter just to apply the rules automatically, rigidly, and without exception.

If it's not stupid then it's just lazy.

Wait, no, it is stupid. A vibrating pen is not a weapon unless you're Dexter.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

It could easily be a weapon for me, but I had years of military training, even a non-vibrating pen could be a weapon.;-)

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I repeat, when the system within which you work subjects you to mutually exclusive rules and goals, the only sensible thing to do is whatever is easiest for you.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

I repeat, when the system within which you work subjects you to mutually exclusive rules and goals, the only sensible thing to do is whatever is easiest for you.
He is right it's a systemic issue and the system is set up to maintain and protect itself. Often it's not the truth that matters in any government system, it's how things appear and we as a society have created that via media and stupidity.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

If this 'educator' and her boss had seen to that, the dangerous little punk would have been gone for 10 days, not 4. This implies the superior made a decision that this weapon was not as serious as some others.

The broad is a busy-body and her um, super, *cough*, superintendent is stupid. As for the boneheaded bus driver that started the whole ratting-out mess, let's hope he, she or it develops scurvy.

n.b. The 3 day delay between deadly buzzing pen confiscation and call for the brats' head by our fine 'educator'.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You know that the Lefty loonies have REALLY taken over the asylum when they suspend a school pupil for having a pen.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

He is right it's a systemic issue and the system is set up to maintain and protect itself. Often it's not the truth that matters in any government system, it's how things appear and we as a society have created that via media and stupidity.

Just following orders eh? That's a cop out. It is the antithesis of sound rational judgement, it is, therefore, unsound and irrational or in other words stupid. Whether someone chooses to be stupid or simply just is stupid, end result is still the same.

It's the easy choice, it's not the smart one.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just following orders eh? That's a cop out. It is the antithesis of sound rational judgement, it is, therefore, unsound and irrational or in other words stupid. Whether someone chooses to be stupid or simply just is stupid, end result is still the same.

It's the easy choice, it's not the smart one.
Teachers are government employees, are they not? Therefore, the rules under which they operate are drawn by the representatives of Da Peeple in a democracy. Therefore, for the teachers to exercise sound judgement which leads to a result contrary to the result mandated by the rules authorised by Da Peeple would be tyranny.

Lubs me some democracky!

For you, SLM, to be so high-minded about this, I must presume that in your work you never follow a rule merely because it is a rule, but bravely and tenaciously fight the application of every rule that would dictate a less-then-optimal outcome, and never, ever give in to rules, direct orders, or threats from your bosses.

You're my hero.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Teachers are government employees, are they not? Therefore, the rules under which they operate are drawn by the representatives of Da Peeple in a democracy. Therefore, for the teachers to exercise sound judgement which leads to a result contrary to the result mandated by the rules authorised by Da Peeple would be tyranny.

Lubs me some democracky!

For you, SLM, to be so high-minded about this, I must presume that in your work you never follow a rule merely because it is a rule, but bravely and tenaciously fight the application of every rule that would dictate a less-then-optimal outcome, and never, ever give in to rules, direct orders, or threats from your bosses.

You're my hero.

Oh give it a ****ing rest.

The stupidity is in looking a vibrating pen, in the hands of a very young child no less, and calling it a weapon. You can make whatever excuse you want to for it, but it does speak directly to the intelligence of the system and the people who work within it.