When will Govt's act? Another suicide from bullying.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sask. teen Todd Loik takes life after being bullied, mother says - Saskatoon - CBC News

A North Battleford, Sask., mother says her teenage son took his life after years of being tormented by bullies.
Todd Loik 2

Todd Loik, 15, was a student at North Battleford Comprehensive High School. He took his life at the beginning of September. (Courtesy of Kim Loik)

Kim Loik discovered the body of her son, Todd, 15, in their home on Sept. 9. The student at North Battleford Comprehensive High School died two weeks before his 16th birthday.

He wasn't a bad kid," his mother said. "He just wanted to fit in and enjoy life."

His mother said that the attacks by playground bullies began years ago and alleges the abuse escalated into "non-stop" cyberbullying,

"It was non-stop taunting," she said, adding that the cyberbullying started about two years ago.

At first, Todd would show her what the bullies posted on Facebook, then he stopped showing her. It was obscene and exhibited "nastiness," she said.

RCMP said two investigators are working on the case to determine if there was criminal harassment or the uttering of threats.
Advice to parents

Schools and families need to do more to rein in bullies, she said, and tells parents in the same situation to never give up.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sask. teen Todd Loik takes life after being bullied, mother says - Saskatoon - CBC News

A North Battleford, Sask., mother says her teenage son took his life after years of being tormented by bullies.
Todd Loik 2

Todd Loik, 15, was a student at North Battleford Comprehensive High School. He took his life at the beginning of September. (Courtesy of Kim Loik)

Kim Loik discovered the body of her son, Todd, 15, in their home on Sept. 9. The student at North Battleford Comprehensive High School died two weeks before his 16th birthday.

He wasn't a bad kid," his mother said. "He just wanted to fit in and enjoy life."

His mother said that the attacks by playground bullies began years ago and alleges the abuse escalated into "non-stop" cyberbullying,

"It was non-stop taunting," she said, adding that the cyberbullying started about two years ago.

At first, Todd would show her what the bullies posted on Facebook, then he stopped showing her. It was obscene and exhibited "nastiness," she said.

RCMP said two investigators are working on the case to determine if there was criminal harassment or the uttering of threats.
Advice to parents

Schools and families need to do more to rein in bullies, she said, and tells parents in the same situation to never give up.

and the reason why she did not have him, or do it herself, at least delete and block the offenders was?????????

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
and the reason why she did not have him, or do it herself, at least delete and block the offenders was?????????

Gerry I do not know. I do not know what actions she took.
And if she did and nothing was done, as has happened on a number of occasions, what would you suggest she do?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Gerry I do not know. I do not know what actions she took.
And if she did and nothing was done, as has happened on a number of occasions, what would you suggest she do?

If she had them blocked, then her son would not have seen what they were saying. That takes care of the "cyber" bullying.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
That's the anonymous aspect kicking in big time. Bullying used to require the bullies to perform the bulk of their torment out in the open to be witnessed by peer group. Now this chit can be posted without divulging your identitiy.

The article refers to a support group of computer savvy kids who can access his text messages and facebook pages to provide her and the cops with all the proof they need to prosecute these evil little cretins.

Myself; I still lean towards the old days way of handling this by taking them out behind the barn for a little one on one quality time.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If she had them blocked, then her son would not have seen what they were saying. That takes care of the "cyber" bullying.
Does blocking them stop him from encountering them from day to day, say at school?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
From what I have seen, the parents are not taking enough responsibility for what is happening with their children. Then when the kid goes off the deep end and kills himself, they start whining and crying to everyone that will listen about how terrible their kid had it.

Social networks are not a required part of life. Even if she didn't want to "ban" him from facebook you can adjust the settings so that ONLY family and true friends can see or post to him.

As for school, they supposedly have a zero tolerance for bullying, file a complaint with the principle, counselor, or even the board it self.

Talk to the parents of the offenders. Maybe they don't realize what their darling little monsters are doing.

Go to the police, they take this shyte very seriously now, not like when my 2nd youngest was going through what this kid went through.

There is no excuse for a child to end up feeling so helpless and useless that they take their life. Pay a-fu cking-tention to your kids!!!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Battlefords are tough towns. Possibly tougher than "the Flats" here in Regina where we raised our daughter.

She's seen it all from having hooker classmates in grade 8, extreme racism, gangbangers, friends in harsh poverty and households of the prosperous but it was my wife and I who taught her to stand her ground or walk away and ignore the BS.

She is a little smartass that can wrap words around somebody's head and make the look like the fools they which is a talent she learned at home having a hard nosed, smartass for an old man.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
From what I have seen, the parents are not taking enough responsibility for what is happening with their children. Then when the kid goes off the deep end and kills himself, they start whining and crying to everyone that will listen about how terrible their kid had it.

Social networks are not a required part of life. Even if she didn't want to "ban" him from facebook you can adjust the settings so that ONLY family and true friends can see or post to him.

As for school, they supposedly have a zero tolerance for bullying, file a complaint with the principle, counselor, or even the board it self.

Talk to the parents of the offenders. Maybe they don't realize what their darling little monsters are doing.

Go to the police, they take this shyte very seriously now, not like when my 2nd youngest was going through what this kid went through.

There is no excuse for a child to end up feeling so helpless and useless that they take their life. Pay a-fu cking-tention to your kids!!!!!

Not one word of sympathy for the victims or criticism of the bullies? Is our Gerryh a bully, perhaps? It sounds like govt is acting. Police are investigating. What more can society do - install the Thought Police in every home? Hire people to surf the Internet 24/7 for bullies?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not one word of sympathy for the victims or criticism of the bullies? Is our Gerryh a bully, perhaps? It sounds like govt is acting. Police are investigating. What more can society do - install the Thought Police in every home? Hire people to surf the Internet 24/7 for bullies?

We do not know if the mother sought help. But some have this well good parenting attitude will take care of little Suzie and the bullies will stop. Wrong. They do not stop.
Often schools will bury bullying as not that important.
Same with police.
Look at the Parson girl in Halifax.