Prince of Wales becomes oldest heir to the Throne for 300 years

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Prince of Wales yesterday became the oldest heir apparent for almost 300 years.

The oldest heir apparent until yesterday was King William IV - Prince Charles's great-great-great-great-uncle - who became monarch in June 1830, aged 64 years, ten months and five days, on the death of his brother King George IV.

William IV died without an heir in 1837 and was succeeded by his niece Queen Victoria, who went on to become the country's longest reigning monarch, with 63 years on the throne.

Charles still has Sophia of Hanover to beat as the oldest heir to the British throne.

Sophia should have become Queen upon the death of Queen Anne, the last Stuart monarch, according to the 1701 Act of Settlement which settled the line of succession upon Sophia (the nearest Protestant in the old line of succession to Anne) and her non-Catholic heirs but, instead, died a few months before Anne aged 83 in 1714. So Sophia's son, Georg, Elector of Hanover, became King George I, the first Hanoverian monarch, in 1714 upon the death of Queen Anne.

Prince of Wales is now the OLDEST heir to the British throne for almost 300 years

• Prince Charles becomes oldest heir apparent in British history
  • Oldest heir apparent was William IV, who succeeded George III in 1830
  • Oldest heir to throne still Sophia of Hanover, who died aged 83
  • Queen already the oldest monarch at the age of 87
By Ellie Buchdahl
20 September 2013
Daily Mail

Tiring: Prince Charles has had a long wait - the longest ever

The birth of baby George, a boost in sales for Duchy's Originals - and Prince Charles has broken a record to add to his year of milestones - although this one may come with a pinch of frustration.

The Prince of Wales - who has in the past joked about being 'impatient' and about 'running out of time' - today become the oldest heir to the throne for almost 300 years, as successor to Queen Elizabeth II, who at the age of 87 holds the title of oldest monarch in British history.

The oldest heir apparent until today was William IV, who became monarch in June 1830, aged 64 years, ten months and five days, on the death of his brother King George IV.

William IV died without an heir in 1837 and was succeeded by his niece - Queen Victoria, who went on to become the country's longest reigning monarch, with 63 years on the throne.

He still has Sophia of Hanover to beat as the oldest heir to the throne.

The princess died aged 83 in 1714, a few months before Queen Anne died.

Charles became heir apparent on the death of his grandfather George VI, when his mother succeeded to the throne on February 6 1952.

The Prince was just three years old at the time and from a young age has been groomed to be king.

Charles is already the longest serving heir to the throne having passed, a number of years ago, the previous record set by Edward VII who became monarch aged 59, when his mother Queen Victoria died in 1901.

The Prince became a grandfather for the first time in July when Prince George was born to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Before the birth the heir to the throne said he was 'thrilled' and even joked about how the latest development in his eventful life had come at the age of 64.

Beaten: William IV (left) was the previous oldest heir to the throne, after he succeeded his brother George IV (right) in 1830 aged 64 years, ten months and five days

He said: 'It’s a very nice thought to become a grandfather in my old age, if I can say so.'

And with the Queen still in excellent health - despite a few hospital visits - he could be in for an even longer wait.

Aside from a brief hospital visit in March this year - a precautionary measure, the Palace said, while she was assessed for the symptoms of the stomach bug gastroentiritis, she has not had a hospital stay for ten years.

And despite his positive comments about being an old grandfather, the Prince has in the past hinted that he is feeling the long wait.

Outlived: The oldest heir to the throne, Sophia of Hanover (left), died aged 83 in 1714 - a few months before Queen Anne (pictured right, the last Stuart monarch and the first monarch of the Kingdom of Great Britain, reigned 1702 - 1714), whom she was due to succeed. Instead, upon Queen Anne's death in 1714, Sophia's son, Georg, Elector of Hanover, became King George I, Britain's first Hanoverian monarch, despite speaking no English

OLDEST TO YOUNGEST: THE AGES OF SOME OF OUR MONARCHS AT ACCESSION

64: William IV
59: Edward VII
40: George VI
37: Richard I
25: Elizabeth I and Elizabeth II
18: Victoria
17: Henry VIII
9: Edward VI

During a visit to Dumfries House in East Ayrshire last year, he recorded a film for the Clarence House website in which the then 64-year-old heir suggested his time as monarch might be cut short.

He said: 'Impatient? Me? What a thing to suggest! Yes of course I am.'

He added: “I’ll run out of time soon. I shall have snuffed it if I’m not careful.'

And even before then, Charles made a number of comments regarding his time as heir.

In 1992, on the eve of the Queen’s 40th anniversary on the throne, he attended the funeral of his father-in-law, the 8th Earl Spencer, where he is believed to have remarked to Charles Spencer, his then brother-in-law: 'You are fortunate enough to have succeeded to the title when still young.'

In 2004, a Guards officer at Wellington Barracks who congratulated him on his 56th birthday got the response: 'I’m now at the age at which my grandfather died.'

Royal biographer Penny Junor said: 'He is impatient, but when he becomes king, his activities and all the projects he most enjoys where he can make a difference, will be seriously curtailed.'

Not only is King William IV the great-great-great-great-uncle of Prince Charles, but he is also the great-great-great-great-great-uncle of Prime Minister David Cameron (above)

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ya ya, so what? The goofy putz is the laughing stock of most of the rest of the world. Your self importance as a nation is so over inflated that it is about to be burst by reality. England has passed its glory days. The empire has fallen, Get over it.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ya ya, so what? The goofy putz is the laughing stock of most of the rest of the world. Your self importance as a nation is so over inflated that it is about to be burst by reality. England has passed its glory days. The empire has fallen, Get over it.

Did you not sleep well last night Cliffy?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Hmmmm, okay then.

Remember, Charles is heir to YOUR throne, too.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
No. I went to bed after midnight and was up at 5. I'm about to head back now before I rip someone else's nuts off. Good morning.

That means as much to me as an image of Jesus on a piece of toast.
no brekkie yet either...you need some coffee too bud....lol

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I feel like she's just waiting for him to croak of a heart attack before she hands the monarchy over.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I feel like she's just waiting for him to croak of a heart attack before she hands the monarchy over.

If Charles lives to the same age at his maternal grandmother, he's still got almost another 30 years yet.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No. I went to bed after midnight and was up at 5. I'm about to head back now before I rip someone else's nuts off. Good morning.

Ah, I thought that might be it. Recognized the sentiment but seemed a tad overly scathing for a first round.

Pleasant dreams. :)

(Oh and ix-nay on the uts-nay, that's become a very sensitive topic this morning.)

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Hmmmm, okay then.

Remember, Charles is heir to YOUR throne, too.

William 1V was a 'pretty good king'- he cut the royal expenses to finally pay off the Nap-war debt, and he badgered the House of Lords to finally stop blocking democratic reform in Great Britain. Charles ahs matured in the last 20 years

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
William 1V was a 'pretty good king'- he cut the royal expenses to finally pay off the Nap-war debt, and he badgered the House of Lords to finally stop blocking democratic reform in Great Britain. Charles ahs matured in the last 20 years

The future King William IV (reigned 1830-37) in 1800, an ancestor of both the Queen, her descendants, and PM David Cameron

He had many good points, did King William IV. Before the Reform Crisis he was much admired by his people, who saw his as more down-to-earth than his extravagant brother and predecessor George IV (the former Prince Regent).

At the age of thirteen, he joined the Royal Navy as a midshipman, and was present at the Battle of Cape St. Vincent in 1780 when the British defeated the Spanish in the American War of Independence. This earned him the nickname the Sailor King.

He immediately proved himself a conscientious worker. William IV's first Prime Minister, the Duke of Wellington, stated that he had done more business with William IV in ten minutes than he had with George IV in as many days. Lord Brougham described him as an excellent man of business, asking enough questions to help him understand the matter—whereas George IV feared to ask questions lest he display his ignorance and George III would ask too many and then not wait for a response.

The King did his best to endear himself to the people. Charlotte Williams-Wynn wrote shortly after his accession: "Hitherto the King has been indefatigable in his efforts to make himself popular, and do good natured and amiable things in every possible instance." Emily Eden noted: "He is an immense improvement on the last unforgiving animal, who died growling sulkily in his den at Windsor. This man at least wishes to make everybody happy, and everything he has done has been benevolent."

His informality could be startling: When in residence at the Royal Pavilion in Brighton, King William used to send to the hotels for a list of their guests and invite anyone whom he knew to dinner, urging guests not to "bother about clothes. The Queen does nothing but embroider flowers after dinner."

He hated foreigners, especially, of course, the French.

He supported Belgian independence.

He was the king of Hanover even though he never visited it. The Germans thought that the British dictated Hanoverian policy.

He was probably the first person to realise that a Suez Canal would foster good relations between Britain and Egypt.

Later in his reign, he flattered the American ambassador at a dinner by announcing that he regretted not being "born a free, independent American, so much did he respect that nation, which had given birth to George Washington, the greatest man that ever lived". Whether he meant it or not is debateable but, by exercising his personal charm, William assisted in the repair of Anglo-American relations, which had been so deeply damaged during the reign of his father, George III.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
You could make the argument that he 'saved the Monarchy', BL . Good topic. Britain had been 'ruled', so to speak, by a raving lunatic and then a drunk since at least 1770.
George III of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The American Revolt was triggered by an unenforceable tea monopoly and tax - put in place by Lord North to 'bail out his friends in the near Bankrupt East India company'.

'Oyyy, the Colonies won't mind, NAow"

Tea Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unbelievably - stupid.