Mother, uncle convicted after toddler named Jihad sent to school in ‘I am a bomb’ shi

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Mother, uncle convicted after toddler named Jihad sent to school in ‘I am a bomb’ shirt - The Globe and Mail
Mother, uncle convicted after toddler named Jihad sent to school in ‘I am a bomb’ shirt

A French appeals court convicted a woman and her brother on Friday for “justifying a crime” after her toddler son, named Jihad, went to preschool in a T-shirt bearing the words “I am a bomb” and “Jihad: Born on Sept. 11,” a defence lawyer said.

Bouchra Bagour was given a 2,000-euro fine and a one-month suspended prison sentence while her brother, Zayed, received a 4,000-euro fine and two-month suspended sentence in the court in southeastern Nimes, her lawyer, Gaele Guenoun, said by phone.

The ruling, which strikes at the intersection of free speech and France’s laws barring hate speech and denial of crimes like genocide, comes months after a lower court in nearby Avignon acquitted the defendants. In France, prosecutors can appeal such rulings — and they did in this case, to the Nimes appeals court.

Under French law, justifying a crime in public is punishable by up to five years in prison and a 45,000-euro fine.

Guenoun called the decision “severe” and said she was astonished the lower court’s verdict was overruled, arguing that it had weighed the case thoroughly.

The ruling centred on a teacher’s complaint after the boy, whose birthday is Sept. 11, wore the shirt to preschool in the Provence town of Sorgues last year. The child’s uncle had the shirt made, according to the lawyer.

After the teacher’s complaint, the mother quickly apologized, and the boy never wore the shirt to school again, Guenoun said, acknowledging the move showed “bad taste.” She didn’t specify her client’s motivations, but said that Jihad was not an unusual first name.

Bouchra Bagour, who was not in court for Friday’s ruling, was not a religious militant and “doesn’t have the profile at all of someone would do this as a provocation,” Guenoun said, adding that her client would wear skirts and was “rather lady-like.”

Guenoun said it was not immediately clear whether Bagour would appeal.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Jihad, what a lovely name and such a nice gift to give to your nephew.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
Jihad, what a lovely name and such a nice gift to give to your nephew.

The article says its not an unusual name. I suppose maybe that goes to show what a twisted spin many in the west have placed on things Islamic. That is too bad when you consider all the harm countries like France have done to the 3rd World.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The article says its not an unusual name. I suppose maybe that goes to show what a twisted spin many in the west have placed on things Islamic. That is too bad when you consider all the harm countries like France have done to the 3rd World.
Specifically, the article says that the defendant's lawyer claims it's not an unusual name. I wouldn't take what a defence lawyer says in support of her client as unbiased, unvarnished truth.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I'm sure that france has jihad enough of her and her comedy. since she doesn't seem to appreciate the privileges she has in france, they should ship her back to a muslim country.

tober

Time Out
Aug 6, 2013
... she doesn't seem to appreciate the privileges she has in france....

Where in the article does it say that the mom doesn't appreciate the privileges she has? I don't remember reading about privileges? Or is this just a political slam against the mom?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Where in the article does it say that the mom doesn't appreciate the privileges she has? I don't remember reading about privileges? Or is this just a political slam against the mom?
No storm- Clearly both have lead a cloistered life.
From the article
named Jihad, went to preschool in a T-shirt bearing the words “I am a bomb” and “Jihad: Born on Sept. 11,”