Costa Concordia lift could spew toxic soup of rotting food and chemicals into sea

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Mmmm...soup.

A toxic soup of rotting food, chemicals and other debris is expected to spew out of the Costa Concordia when the giant cruise ship is hauled upright tomorrow.

Costa Concordia operation could spew toxic soup of rotting food and chemicals into sea - Telegraph

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This thing left in the harbour is ugly and a PR nightmare. It has to be
removed as it will cause problems if left and likely if it removed time
for it go

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
SInce the ship is holed and half sunk any rotting/ toxic soup inside is also outside. Poor headline writing by an illiterate journalist.
It makes a nice reef where it is and one could make a house on it with just a few hours with a torch and welder. Could even have an indoor boat dock. Watch for the reef upon entry.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Just goes to show, every journalist that ever put pen to paper put together ain't done the world as much good as one engineer.

But the problems created by journalists can be corrected with a pen while the fukups of engineers require lots of work by those of us that know what we are doing and quite often legions of lawyers are involved. Oh That explains why you like engineers.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
GIGLIO ISLAND, ITALY The crippled Costa Concordia cruise ship was pulled completely upright early Tuesday after a complicated, 19-hour operation to wrench it from its side where it capsized last year off Tuscany, with officials declaring it a "perfect" end to a daring and unprecedented engineering feat.

Shortly after 4 a.m., a foghorn wailed on Giglio Island and the head of Italy's Civil Protection agency, Franco Gabrielli, announced that the ship had reached vertical and that the operation to rotate it — known in nautical terms as parbuckling — was complete.

"We completed the parbuckling operation a few minutes ago the way we thought it would happen and the way we hoped it would happen," said Franco Porcellacchia, project manager for the Concordia's owner, Costa Crociere SpA.

"A perfect operation, I must say" with no environmental spill detected so far, he said.

Applause rang out among firefighters in the tent where Gabrielli and other project engineers made the announcement.

Costa Concordia pulled completely upright off Italy - CBS News

Love me some engineers.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Mmmm...soup.

A toxic soup of rotting food, chemicals and other debris is expected to spew out of the Costa Concordia when the giant cruise ship is hauled upright tomorrow.

Costa Concordia operation could spew toxic soup of rotting food and chemicals into sea - Telegraph

Given the choices, this is a small price to pay. Rotting food is decomposition and a 100% natural process. Leaving the ship there or disassembling it on the spot would have destroyed the environment completely. Do environmentalists always need something to complain about? I think there is somebody in Nevada idling his car without purchasing carbon credits. Why not go bother him?

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Given the choices, this is a small price to pay. Rotting food is decomposition and a 100% natural process. Leaving the ship there or disassembling it on the spot would have destroyed the environment completely. Do environmentalists always need something to complain about? I think there is somebody in Nevada idling his car without purchasing carbon credits. Why not go bother him?

Our biggest fear is that Peter Mackay now signs a no bids contract to purchase the hulk..:p
For the RCN

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
From day one. But the greenies are always looking for a reason to parade in front of cameras.

Didnt see any there. At least none that claimed to be.

Wasn't this soup already in the ocean?

Not all of it. There is still fuel in the ship. There is a resort town only a few miles away. I imagine the locals wouldnt have been too happy if that got out.

Do environmentalists always need something to complain about? I think there is somebody in Nevada idling his car without purchasing carbon credits. Why not go bother him?

Different country. Why should the Italians give a damn about commuters in Nevada? If there was about 150,000 tons of wrecked and rotting cars on the side of the road or right next to a residential area I imagine people would complain and want it removed.

Last edited: