Neil Young calls Fort McMurray oilsands 'a wasteland'

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Canadian rocker Neil Young had some harsh words for the oilsands in Fort McMurray, Alta., during an event in Washington, D.C.

"Fort McMurray looks like Hiroshima. Fort McMurray is a wasteland," said Young, 67, during a National Farmers Union conference.

"The Indians up there and the native peoples are dying. The fuels all over — the fumes everywhere — you can smell it when you get to town," he said.

"People are sick. People are dying of cancer because of this. All the First Nations people up there are threatened by this. Their food supply is wasted, their treaties are no good. They have the right to live on the land, like they always did, but there’s no land left that they can live on. All the animals are dying."

Young's comments are not sitting well with Fort McMurray Mayor Melissa Blake.

"They are so extreme that they may very well be discounted by people who genuinely care about the state of the environment," Blake said.

"The community's reaction is inevitably not happy, probably outraged, because it's such a gross misrepresentation," she added.

Chris Byrne, a DJ at Fort McMurray radio station Rock 97.9, said they were starting a "No Neil" day and promoting the #notawasteland hashtag on Twitter.

"We're going to ask our listeners, 'We're not going to play Neil Young all day today, should we make this a permanent thing?' If he doesn't like us, then we may not like him."

Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said Tuesday that he was a fan of Young's music.

"But on this matter we disagree, because Keystone XL will displace heavy oil from Venezuela, which has the same or higher greenhouse gas emissions, with a stable and secure source of Canadian oil," the minister said a short statement issued through from his office via email.

Young is a noted environmental activist in addition to his long and storied music career. He talked on Monday about his Lincvolt project, a hybrid-engine modification of a 1959 Lincoln. In 1985 he founded Farm Aid, a benefit concert series to raise money for family farmers in the U.S.

The Keystone XL pipeline is being promoted in Washington by Prime Minister Stephen Harper as a means to get bitumen from the Alberta oilsands to refineries on the Gulf Coast. U.S. President Barack Obama has yet to approve the project, which faces opposition from environmentalists and communities along the pipeline route.

source: Neil Young calls Fort McMurray oilsands 'a wasteland' - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Canadian rocker Neil Young had some harsh words for the oilsands in Fort McMurray, Alta., during an event in Washington, D.C.

"Fort McMurray looks like Hiroshima. Fort McMurray is a wasteland," said Young, 67, during a National Farmers Union conference.

"The Indians up there and the native peoples are dying. The fuels all over — the fumes everywhere — you can smell it when you get to town," he said.

"People are sick. People are dying of cancer because of this. All the First Nations people up there are threatened by this. Their food supply is wasted, their treaties are no good. They have the right to live on the land, like they always did, but there’s no land left that they can live on. All the animals are dying."

Young's comments are not sitting well with Fort McMurray Mayor Melissa Blake.

"They are so extreme that they may very well be discounted by people who genuinely care about the state of the environment," Blake said.

"The community's reaction is inevitably not happy, probably outraged, because it's such a gross misrepresentation," she added.

Chris Byrne, a DJ at Fort McMurray radio station Rock 97.9, said they were starting a "No Neil" day and promoting the #notawasteland hashtag on Twitter.

"We're going to ask our listeners, 'We're not going to play Neil Young all day today, should we make this a permanent thing?' If he doesn't like us, then we may not like him."

Natural Resources Minister Joe Oliver said Tuesday that he was a fan of Young's music.

"But on this matter we disagree, because Keystone XL will displace heavy oil from Venezuela, which has the same or higher greenhouse gas emissions, with a stable and secure source of Canadian oil," the minister said a short statement issued through from his office via email.

Young is a noted environmental activist in addition to his long and storied music career. He talked on Monday about his Lincvolt project, a hybrid-engine modification of a 1959 Lincoln. In 1985 he founded Farm Aid, a benefit concert series to raise money for family farmers in the U.S.

The Keystone XL pipeline is being promoted in Washington by Prime Minister Stephen Harper as a means to get bitumen from the Alberta oilsands to refineries on the Gulf Coast. U.S. President Barack Obama has yet to approve the project, which faces opposition from environmentalists and communities along the pipeline route.

source: Neil Young calls Fort McMurray oilsands 'a wasteland' - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Maybe these celebrities should stick to things they know. -:)

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Seems like all the aging celebrities are making waves on this and other issues.

Gotta wonder if Neil is planning on releasing a new album in the near future... No doubt, all of the proceeds will go to saving Mother Gaia

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
What did he say that was not true?

It's just as true as the community that you live in. Just because one place is 'prettier' than the other in terms what humanity deems acceptable means absolutely nothing

It's a fool's errand to believe that just because there is some form of organized construction that the 'environment' of Naksup isn't as much of a wasteland than is the oilsands.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Alberta Oil (Tar Sands): Canadian Prosperity - Global Nightmare - YouTube

It's just as true as the community that you live in. Just because one place is 'prettier' than the other in terms what humanity deems acceptable means absolutely nothing

It's a fool's errand to believe that just because there is some form of organized construction that the 'environment' of Naksup isn't as much of a wasteland than is the oilsands.
You have obviously never been here.

http://www.nakusp.com/siteengine/activepage.asp?PageID=48&AlbumPage=1

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Typical political argument in this the third millennium CE.

Is there environmental degradation in the oil sands? Of course there is. Only an imbecile would say otherwise.

The questions are what is the extend of the degradation, is it worth it for what y'all get out of the oil sands, and how can y'all alleviate part of the environmental degradation without pissing away the benefits.

But what questions are being asked? Well, none, in point of fact. Instead one side screams that oil-sand production will destroy the planet next Tuesday, and the other yells that oil-sand production does no harm at all. Then we can get down to what we really want to do, and that is attack "them."

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe these celebrities should stick to things they know. -:)

Well, it does look that way. I've seen it. A lot of people have. For or against it you cant really call the area attractive.

As for celebrities sticking to what they know, why should they? Most other people dont. Right or wrong everyone is entitled to an opinion - even an uninformed one. People can then disagree or agree. Plus if you ever listen to his music you'll notice a lot of it is political and has been since the 60s.

In most communities things are growing. Not exactly a barren wasteland.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

Physician; heal thyself

Typical political argument in this the third millennium CE.

Is there environmental degradation in the oil sands? Of course there is. Only an imbecile would say otherwise.

The questions are what is the extend of the degradation, is it worth it for what y'all get out of the oil sands, and how can y'all alleviate part of the environmental degradation without pissing away the benefits.

But what questions are being asked? Well, none, in point of fact. Instead one side screams that oil-sand production will destroy the planet next Tuesday, and the other yells that oil-sand production does no harm at all. Then we can get down to what we really want to do, and that is attack "them."

The elephant in the room here is that this situation has existed millenia before humanity ever walked the lands in/around the oilsands.

As one industry observer suggested, the Athabasca oilsands are among the biggest environmental disasters caused by Mother Gaia

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The elephant in the room here is that this situation has existed millenia before humanity ever walked the lands in/around the oilsands.

As one industry observer suggested, the Athabasca oilsands are among the biggest environmental disasters caused by Mother Gaia
Which is basically the "production of the oil sands causes no harm" whopper.

Kinda like the anti-global warming argument, which basically runs "There is no global warming and the global warming that doesn't exist isn't caused by human activity and there's nothing we can do about the global warming that doesn't exist and isn't caused by human activity."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Which is basically the "production of the oil sands causes no harm" whopper.

Nice diversion... So, are you saying that the bitumen that is naturally at surface is eco-friendly?

Kinda like the anti-global warming argument, which basically runs "There is no global warming and the global warming that doesn't exist isn't caused by human activity and there's nothing we can do about the global warming that doesn't exist and isn't caused by human activity."

You forgot the 'Anthropogenic' part of that grand lie

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No, I'm saying that exploitation of the oil sands has caused environmental degradation in the area.

You mean just like the degradation related to the nice gravel/mortar picnic table and concrete base that Cliffy posted?

I did? In what way is saying "caused by human activity" forgetting anthropogenic?

Anthropogenic Global Warming is different than 'Global Warming'... Unless the historical effects of the Earth's systems are somehow new and never experienced before

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You mean just like the degradation related to the nice gravel/mortar picnic table and concrete base that Cliffy posted?
No, I mean degradation. Killing stuff. Spreading toxins. That kind of thing.

Anthropogenic Global Warming is different than 'Global Warming'... Unless the historical effects of the Earth's systems are somehow new and never experienced before
Fer f*ck's sake, "global warming caused by humans" is the DEFINITION of "anthropogenic global warming." Look it up. It's from the Greek "anthropos," meaning humans, and the Latin "genic," meaning produced or caused by.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No, I mean degradation. Killing stuff. Spreading toxins. That kind of thing.

Ever looked into the eco-effects of cement plants?

You might want to expand your perspective here a bit

Fer f*ck's sake, "global warming caused by humans" is the DEFINITION of "anthropogenic global warming." Look it up. It's from the Greek "anthropos," meaning humans, and the Latin "genic," meaning produced or caused by.

R-e-l-a-x..... Don't pop a vessel or anything here.... I was just busting your chops a bit.

So - I take it that you have moved AGW from a theory into fact?... Might want to get in touch with the UN and IPCC. They will be ecstatic.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ever looked into the eco-effects of cement plants?
No. What does that have to do with the environmental degradation of oil sand exploitation?

R-e-l-a-x..... Don't pop a vessel or anything here.... I was just busting your chops a bit.

So - I take it that you have moved AGW from a theory into fact?... Might want to get in touch with the UN and IPCC. They will be ecstatic.
F*ck no. If you recollect, I was reciting the deniers' line of BS. Quoting is not endorsing.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
No. What does that have to do with the environmental degradation of oil sand exploitation?

Everything?.. Are Alberta's oilsands (extraction, production, et al) the only affect that humanity has on the planet?

Did you actually look into what it takes to produce cement?

F*ck no. If you recollect, I was reciting the deniers' line of BS. Quoting is not endorsing.

Admit it... You were on the verge of an aneurysm