No economic espionage? NSA docs show US spied on Brazil oil giant Petrobras

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
No economic espionage? NSA docs show US spied on Brazil oil giant Petrobras

Despite earlier US assurances that its Department of Defense does not “engage in economic espionage in any domain,” a new report suggests that the intelligence agency NSA spied on Brazilian state-run oil giant Petrobras.

Brazil's biggest television network Globo TV reported that the information about the NSA spying on Petroleo Brasileiro SA came from Glenn Greenwald, the American journalist who first published secrets leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Globo TV aired slides from an NSA presentation from 2012 that revealed the agency’s ability to gain access to private networks of companies such as Petrobras and Google Inc.

One slide specified an ‘economic’ motive for spying, along with diplomatic and political reasons.

This seems to contradict a statement made by an NSA spokesman to the Washington Post on August 30, which said that the US Department of Defense “does not engage in economic espionage in any domain, including cyber.”

An official from the NSA told Globo that the agency gathers economic information not to steal secrets, but to watch for financial instability.

Petrobras is known to have discovered some of the world's biggest offshore oil reserves in recent years.

Some of the new reserves are estimated to be around as 100 billion barrels of oil, according to Rio de Janeiro State University.

None of the leaked slides went into the reasons behind the NSA spying on the Brazilian firm.

The US spy agency then reportedly shared the gathered information with the UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The new report about US spying on Brazil could intensify the already existing tensions between Brazil and US.

The relationship between the two countries became tense as Globo reported about allegations that NSA has intercepted private communications of Brazil’s President Dilma Rousseff and her Mexican counterpart Enrique Pena Nieto.

Brazil responded by canceling preparations for the presidential visit to the United States and beginning a probe into telecommunications companies to see if they illegally shared data with the NSA. Also, Brazil has asked for a formal apology.

During the G20 summit US tried to address the issue by US President Barack Obama pledging to work with Brazil and Mexico to address their concerns over US spying revealed in recent NSA leaks.

source: No economic espionage? NSA docs show US spied on Brazil oil giant Petrobras ? RT News

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
This just shows the distrust the USA is seeding around the world and it has come back and bitten them in the **** with Syria.. they spied on the UK, Germany and both countries have not supported their "limited" attack in Syria.

The USA has become a joke, grounding presidential planes in an attempt to Capture Snowden, and NSA spying on foreign nations..

It's burned all it's bridges.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This just shows the distrust the USA is seeding around the world and it has come back and bitten them in the **** with Syria.. they spied on the UK, Germany and both countries have not supported their "limited" attack in Syria.

The USA has become a joke, grounding presidential planes in an attempt to Capture Snowden, and NSA spying on foreign nations..

It's burned all it's bridges.
Probably a good idea, considering those bridges really only served as a one-way conduit of money out of the U.S. and to our "allies."

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yeah, I know, you think that stalwart Canadian yeomen with hunting rifles will see off the Yanks double-quick-smart, just like back in 1814.

How many nuclear warheads does Canada have again?

No I'd see Canadians planting IED's, taking out US infrastructure. Boston Bombers have nothing on a local resistance fighting on your border and within your country.. the American people don't have the balls for a war within your own country.

You can't control the Cartels on the Mexican Border, you didn't win the war in Iraq or Afghanistan, yet your shoot your mouth off thinking you could just walk into Canada, fighting The UK, Australia, Canadians and other commonwealth nations..

The soldiers in the USA don't fight from the heart, they are just farm boys wanting to get out of butt fukk nowhere and join the military for an education. When war comes they defect, run yellow.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No I'd see Canadians planting IED's, taking out US infrastructure. Boston Bombers have nothing on a local resistance fighting on your border and within your country.. the American people don't have the balls for a war within your own country.

You can't control the Cartels on the Mexican Border, you didn't win the war in Iraq or Afghanistan, yet your shoot your mouth off thinking you could just walk into Canada, fighting The UK, Australia, Canadians and other commonwealth nations..

The soldiers in the USA don't fight from the heart, they are just farm boys wanting to get out of butt fukk nowhere and join the military for an education. When war comes they defect, run yellow.
The war won't be within our own country. It'll be within yours.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The war won't be within our own country. It'll be within yours.

No it would be within yours... I guarantee it..

You have plenty of soft targets that could cause maximum causalities within the USA.. I'm talking 1/2 million mark in deaths.. not just 2000 in a downtown building.

I'm sorta surprised that the 9/11 terrorists didn't fly their jets into them... ;)

I figure they will in the future. It's just a matter of time. Maybe an attack ion Syria will trigger it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm sorta surprised that the 9/11 terrorists didn't fly their jets into them... ;)
Just like all the other "terrorist" events, it was all made for TV.

If there really was a terrorist threat, there would be suicide bombers blowing themselves to bits daily. How many suicide bombers has there been in the US, Canada, EU or UK?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
No I'm thinking of all the Nuclear Plants on the East Coast close to major cities like NYC, Baltimore and so on.

Perfect example is a hijacked plane from Mexico hitting the Nuclear plant outside San Diego, 1/2 million killed, naval base and military base taken out and how long would it take for Mexican intelligence to let the USA know a plane is heading for the USA..

Should I translate this into Arabic just in case they need a new idea.. we need some new excitement for CNN and FoxNews.

Greenpeace - Nuclear Power VS Plane - YouTube

San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia