High River gun grab by Mounties did more harm than good

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It was revealed this week that Mounties battered down more than 1,900 doors in the days following the overflow of the Highwood River. A conservative estimate places the damage caused by door-kicking Mounties at over $3 million, above and beyond the cost of flood damage.
Mounties also seized hundreds of firearms that they claimed were “in plain sight,” but which we have since learned were often in locked rooms or cases. In one home, Mounties had to search three times before they found two old, unloaded guns hidden behind boxes in the furnace room in the basement.
So much for “plain sight.”
As public anger over this gun grab has persisted, Mountie excuse-making has become ever more unbelievable.
For instance, participants at Thursday’s town hall, hosted by Danielle Smith, the leader of Alberta’s opposition and the MLA for the High River area, were given a letter from the RCMP’s Deputy Commissioner Dale McGowan, commander of all Mounties in Alberta.
In his letter, McGowan claimed his officers smashed down nearly 2,000 doors in the name of “protecting private property.” As one resident at the microphone wryly observed, “how is it protecting private property to destroy the doors to 1,900 homes?”
Even more incredible is the Mounties’ insistence that guns had to be removed from homes before it was safe to let residents to return to their homes because looters and vandals might take the guns.
But that makes no sense whatever. In their zeal to confiscate civilian firearms, Mounties left 1,900 homes (out of about 7,000) wide open to thieves, since it was simply impossible for them to watch over all 1,900 door-less homes as residents poured back in.
Officers didn’t take credit cards, jewelry, cash, passports or other valuables -- just guns. So their door-busting rampage actually made homes much more vulnerable to robbery. (Thankfully there was no widespread theft.)

GUNTER: Gun-owners discouraged from leaving disaster-stricken Alberta homes | Columnists | Opinion | Calgary Sun

more bullshyte and lies from the RCMP

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
A total betrayal of trust, the Mounties are now little more than break in artists.
Someone use the fascist word the other day we were critical. here is a prime
reason to use the word. Vulnerable people forbidden by authorities to be in
their homes. What happens home invasion after home invasion in their
absence. BC is plagued with the infestation of Mounties misbehaving and now
Alberta is under siege from our own police force. its time to determine if these
people should be disbanded. Remember when our paratroop division in North
Africa behaved badly. They got rid of them If the police can't behave in a
civilized and legal manner they should be charged and the brass held accountable.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Absolute horsesh*t! All involved, including the deputy commissioner, should be handed pink slips without severance and then charged with B&E and theft. It is time to hold these people accountable to the laws they are sworn to uphold.

Each and every firearm should also be returned without question of registration or legality.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This happened a couple years ago in the fire at Slave Lake too: RCMP would go in to houses, "looking for people incapacitated" and seize any guns they found, registered or not. A lot of the evidence is anecdotal though, because a lot of people up there thought the whole long gun registry was horses*** and didn't abide by it, so they have no real recourse because unless the gun was registered, there is no "proof the gun was theirs", regardless of purchase receipts.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
This happened a couple years ago in the fire at Slave Lake too: RCMP would go in to houses, "looking for people incapacitated" and seize any guns they found, registered or not. A lot of the evidence is anecdotal though, because a lot of people up there thought the whole long gun registry was horses*** and didn't abide by it, so they have no real recourse because unless the gun was registered, there is no "proof the gun was theirs", regardless of purchase receipts.
yeah because personally when I steal a firearm, I look for the receipt and take it with me...jus' in case eh?

out of control...cops and politicians

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I will risk bringing opprobrium upon my dissent. The RCM Police confiscated illegally stored/secured firearms. Jeepers, when they see a risk to public safety when gun-storage laws are broken, it is their obligation, as their motto says, to "uphold the law."

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
From the RCMP Website
Quote:
The adoption of a French motto, "Maintiens le droit"(defending the law), gave the badge a bilingual character from the very beginning. The exact origin of this motto, however, is not known. At first, the word "Maintiens" was spelled without the "s."

Defend/uphold are both legit. And, now to breakfast!

But first, again from their website..
Quote:
The RCMP is Canada's national police service. Proud of our traditions and confident in meeting future challenges, we commit to preserve the peace, uphold the law and provide quality service in partnership with our communities.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Police how the power to enter homes during times of emergency like floods, fire and so on.

So how many will go get their weapons and be charged with unsafe storage ?

Personally, in an emergency, I'm taking my ID, Pets and Firearms with me.. oh yeah and my ex-wife.

Everything else is insured, come to think of it.. so's my ex-wife. :lol: