US Pledge of Allegiance - Under God- On the way out???

US Pledge of Allegiance - Phrase - Under God disciminatory-

• Yes

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
US Pledge of Allegiance - Under God- On the way out???

Pledge of Allegiance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an expression of loyalty to the federal flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892 and formally adopted by Congress as the pledge in 1942.[1] The Pledge has been modified four times since its composition.

'Under God' part of Pledge of Allegiance under review in Massachusetts - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The Pledge of Allegiance is recited in classrooms across the country every morning -- and because of the words "under God," it is heard in courtrooms across the country seemingly just as often these days.

Every attempt to eliminate the mention of God has thus far failed, but the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts will hear arguments on Wednesday seeking removal of the two words for a new reason: discrimination.

"This is the first challenge of its kind" said Roy Speckhardt, the executive director of the American Humanist Association, an atheist group arguing for the plaintiffs. "We feel very confident that we have a strong case."

That case, which was brought by an unidentified family of a student at a school in suburban Boston, will be argued on the premise that the pledge violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution. It is the first such case to be tried on the state level: All previous attempts have been argued in federal court on the grounds that 'under God' was an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state.

"They're grasping at straws" said Eric Rassbach of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, the attorney arguing to leave the pledge as it is. "They know they would lose again if they tried it under the First Amendment, so now they are trying a new tack."

Rassbach dismissed the discrimination claim because he said everyone has the right to opt out of saying the pledge. "This would be very different if they were forced to recite the pledge," he said.

But that makes little difference in the eyes of Speckhardt.

"The opt-out itself is exclusionary and unpleasant" he said. "Children are left with a bad choice: either stand up and recite something against your beliefs, or opt out and be ostracized."

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court has previous high-profile and precedent-setting experience deciding cases hinging on the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution. In 2003, Massachusetts became the first state to legalize same-sex marriage with the Supreme Judicial Court's landmark Goodridge decision.

"I think there is a reason why they chose this court" Rassbach said. "But the law is the law, and I think the court will decide that this is not discrimination, but a disagreement."

Rassbach said he fears a loss in Massachusetts would inspire "copycat" lawsuits in the handful of other states that have similar clauses in their constitutions -- a fear Speckhardt certainly didn't assuage.

"We will absolutely be looking in other states if we should prevail."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I can't see this issue bearing heavily on modern world problems if it bears at all. You might try inquiring among that doomed countries citizens to acertain if any know what you're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if none could recite the oath, they might just as well have sworn to protect and serve a box of Kraptf Dinner for all the good it's done them.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I can't see this issue bearing heavily on modern world problems if it bears at all. You might try inquiring among that doomed countries citizens to acertain if any know what you're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if none could recite the oath, they might just as well have sworn to protect and serve a box of Kraptf Dinner for all the good it's done them.
Yeah, poor us. We's all starvin' down heah.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yeah, poor us. We's all starvin' down heah.

Can't you feel the list TB? So in your band do you play the violin or the bass drum. I hope it's the drum cuz you'll be able to float away from the wreck. Contrary to your imagined fullness many of you are in fact having a bad time finding enough to eat. They should just get jobs you say, work will set you free you say. If you don't start paying your debt you will be starving TB. It's only twenty or thirty trillion when in hell are you going to start paying back?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yet another attack on Christianity.

Over 78% of Americans are Christians and 59% of Americans said that religion played a "very important role in their lives", a far higher figure than that of any other wealthy Western nation.

I don't see why the historical and traditional Pledge of Allegiance should get rid of all references to God just to suit the minority. With Americans being very religious compared to other Western nations, I don't think this move, if it goes ahead, will be too popular.

It's yet another attempt by the the people who run the Western world today - the PC Christianophobic types who studied sociology at university - to rid their societies of Christianity, whilst at the same time they do their best to promote other religions, especially Islime.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Over 78% of Americans are Christians and 59% of Americans said that religion played a "very important role in their lives", a far higher figure than that of any other wealthy Western nation.

I don't see why the historical and traditional Pledge of Allegiance should get rid of all references to God just to suit the minority. With Americans being very religious compared to other Western nations, I don't think this move, if it goes ahead, will be too popular.

It's yet another attempt by the the people who run the Western world today - the PC Christianophobic types who studied sociology at university - to rid their societies of Christianity, whilst at the same time they do their best to promote other religions, especially Islime.
Actually, the insertion of "under Gawd" to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 by Congressional action was a direct violation of the First Amendment to the Constitution.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Actually, the insertion of "under Gawd" to the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 by Congressional action was a direct violation of the First Amendment to the Constitution.

So what? I've never seen people rioting in the streets showing their outrage at such a "descipable" and "evil" act.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So what? I've never seen people rioting in the streets showing their outrage at such a "descipable" and "evil" act.
That's your standard? The law should only prevail when there's rioting if it doesn't?

Interesting. Certainly explains why you were never called to the bar.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's your standard? The law should only prevail when there's rioting if it doesn't?

Interesting. Certainly explains why you were never called to the bar.

And yet if taking "Under God" off the Pledge of Allegiance was against the US Constitution I wouldn't hear you and the other Christianophobes complaining about the law not prevailing.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And yet if taking "Under God" off the Pledge of Allegiance was against the US Constitution I wouldn't hear you and the other Christianophobes complaining about the law not prevailing.

Why don't you sit in the corner and make up some more stuff to whinge about? It's the English concept of manhood.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
recited daily in schools? what the hell? does a pledge carry so little weight down there that they only have a 24 hour shelf life? I can see reciting this daily in school until it's learned. One could reasonably assume that this would be done by the second grade at least. After that, daily? aren't pledges usually for life? or at least until you revoke it? I should think one would only need to refresh it once a year on the 4th of July, or maybe just assembly days at school or something, but every day???

one clown said:
"The opt-out itself is exclusionary and unpleasant" he said. "Children are left with a bad choice: either stand up and recite something against your beliefs, or opt out and be ostracized."

that should read "against your parents' beliefs"

Anyway, children, grade 2 or less, do not have beliefs. They believe what their parents tell them.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Societies that evolve have a code of laws and rights, called a Constitution.

Constitution of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Constitution of the United Kingdom is the set of laws and principles under which the United Kingdom is governed.[1]

Unlike many other nations, the UK has no single constitutional document. This is sometimes expressed by stating that it has an uncodified or "unwritten" constitution.[2] Much of the British constitution is embodied in written documents, within statutes, court judgments and treaties. The constitution has other unwritten sources, including parliamentary constitutional conventions (as laid out in Erskine May) and royal prerogatives.

Historically, "No Act of Parliament can be unconstitutional, for the law of the land knows not the word or the idea."[
3]

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Yet another attack on Christianity. It's yet another attempt by the the people who run the Western world today - the PC Christianophobic types who studied sociology at university - to rid their societies of Christianity, whilst at the same time they do their best to promote other religions, especially Islime.

Dearest Blackleaf,
Like you, I've wondered what's behind this trend; then, eureka! It is not the study of sociology; in fact, it is the popularity of tennis. Let me explain.

Q: What is Gawd?
A: Gawd is love.

Q: What is love?
A: Zero in tennis.

I hope this helps.

I remain your brother,
Spade

PS
Will you be coming out for Thanksgiving this October?
PPS
You have Nadal to worry about!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is Obama's fault? No one ever pressed a court case like this under another president? What?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
This is Obama's fault? No one ever pressed a court case like this under another president? What?

Look I know you're in love with your God..

He's the dumb **** running the country..

He can pass legislation, they did in Texas..

Sam Johnson Votes to Protect “Under God� in Pledge | Congressman Sam Johnson

Maybe I shouldn't try to hold the USA up to a better standard, like TEXAS. There is a reason that state is growing by leaps and bounds..

Texas Cities Lead Nation in Population Growth, Census Bureau Reports - Population - Newsroom - U.S. Census Bureau