Hunt them all- More out there from other Wars that commited crimes against humanity.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hunt them all- More out there from other Wars that committed crimes / atrocities against humanity.

We need more countries to make the case, if International Law permits, to lay charges.
If the law does not permit countries this avenue, then change the law.

Give them no rest, never knowing when that tap on the shoulder will come.
Offer rewards for their capture.

And Life terms should be that, a sentence of lifetime imprisonment, till they die.
Problem is that African Leaders and others think they are being singled out.
So many refuse to cooperate.

Hitler’s policy let Dutch Nazi elude death in 1949 but now he is on trial for an execution 68 years ago | National Post

HAGEN — Germany put a 92-year-old former member of the Nazi Waffen SS on trial Monday on charges that he killed a Dutch resistance fighter in 1944.

Convicted of the death in the Netherlands in 1949, Dutch-born Siert Bruins had eluded extradition to his homeland because he had obtained German citizenship through a policy instituted by Adolf Hitler to confer citizenship on foreigners who served the Nazi military.

On Monday, Bruins entered the Hagen state courtroom using a walker, and appeared alert and attentive as the proceedings opened. Trial sessions are being limited to a maximum of three hours in deference to his age and health.

The trial comes amid a new phase of German Nazi-era investigations, with federal prosecutors this week expected to announce they are recommending the pursuit of possible charges against about 40 former Auschwitz guards.

The renewed probes of death camp guards come after the case of former Ohio autoworker John Demjanjuk, who died last year while appealing his 2011 conviction for accessory to murder after allegations he served in Sobibor.

His case established that death camp guards could be convicted as accessories to murder, even if there was no specific evidence of atrocities against them.

Bruins, however, had long been on the radar of German legal authorities and already served time in the 1980s for his role in the wartime slaying of two Dutch Jews.

Bruins was also already convicted and sentenced to death in absentia in the Netherlands in 1949 in a case that involved the killing of the resistance fighter. The sentence was later commuted to life in prison, but attempts to extradite him were unsuccessful because he had obtained German citizenship.

Ulrich Sander, spokesman for an organization representing the victims of Nazi crimes, told the dpa news agency that the decision to bring Bruins to trial again, even at his advanced age, was a good one.

“We must make it clear for the future that such crimes are always prosecuted, that murderers never get away,” he said.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Somebody will have to explain this to me. Why is a member of the German armed forces during WWII being brought up on murder charges for killing a member of a resistance movement? Resistance member is equivalent to our present day terrorist, are they not? Non uniformed person fighting against an occupying force.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Somebody will have to explain this to me. Why is a member of the German armed forces during WWII being brought up on murder charges for killing a member of a resistance movement? Resistance member is equivalent to our present day terrorist, are they not? Non uniformed person fighting against an occupying force.
There is a legal process involved prior to and if justified, execution.
Now how well did the Nazi's do at that?
He was also found guilty of murdering 2 Jews. In the article.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Underground forces in WWII were considered part of the allied forces
In addition their assignments were issued by directors in England.
Besides any acts outside of Germany are fair game as Germany
engaged in aggressive war and should not have been in foreign
countries period.
Besides they fared better in the west as in Russia some of the Germans
were not even given a cemetery funeral they were left for the buzzards
on the great plains of the Eastern Front. Saw a war history feature on
that about a month ago.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In addition their assignments were issued by directors in England.
Besides any acts outside of Germany are fair game as Germany
engaged in aggressive war and should not have been in foreign
countries period.
Besides they fared better in the west as in Russia some of the Germans
were not even given a cemetery funeral they were left for the buzzards
on the great plains of the Eastern Front. Saw a war history feature on
that about a month ago.

Outside or inside of Germany is not relevant under the laws of war.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
There is a legal process involved prior to and if justified, execution.
Now how well did the Nazi's do at that?
He was also found guilty of murdering 2 Jews. In the article.

really? A legal process? Is there one now? Is it being followed by the present armed forces in Afghanistan? ALL the opposing belligerents in Afghanistan could be considered "resistance fighters".

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
really? A legal process? Is there one now? Is it being followed by the present armed forces in Afghanistan? ALL the opposing belligerents in Afghanistan could be considered "resistance fighters".

Nope.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Nope.... nope what?

what is the difference between the dutch resistance, or the French resistance, or any other resistance fighters of WWII and those that are are fighting against the "allied" intrusion in Afghanistan?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nope.... nope what?

what is the difference between the dutch resistance, or the French resistance, or any other resistance fighters of WWII and those that are are fighting against the "allied" intrusion in Afghanistan?
Correct me if I am in error as I am sure you will, are they not required to be in uniform and identifiable?
Just added

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions

http://www.icrc.org/eng/war-and-law/treaties-customary-law/geneva-conventions/index.jsp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_war

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So, in other words you can't answer my question and instead try to bury me in pages upon pages of mainly irrelevant crap hoping I will go away.

Make it simple goober, answer the question.
Nope. Educate yourself, as we say in the Army, Not my part Ship. And I answered.
Now troll away.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Nope. Educate yourself, as we say in the Army, Not my part Ship. And I answered.
Now troll away.

Ok, from my understanding then, the former member of the SS should NOT be getting charged with anything. It is another example of kangaroo courts being set up for revenge only. If HE did something wrong by killing a member of the Dutch resistance, then every soldier that fought and killed someone in Afghanistan should also be charged with murder.

and BTW, asking for an explanation on your position is not trolling. Or is it trolling whenever anyone disagrees with you?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No they weren't, there oodles who were out for themselves or Bolshevik wannabes.

I don't see any E. Germans going after ex Stazi, or Bulgarians seeking restitution from the Soviets. Even the Japs haven't apologized for what they did Canadian prisoners of war. They just shrug their shoulders and say "different culture, different time".

These Jews need to get a life.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Ok, from my understanding then, the former member of the SS should NOT be getting charged with anything. It is another example of kangaroo courts being set up for revenge only. If HE did something wrong by killing a member of the Dutch resistance, then every soldier that fought and killed someone in Afghanistan should also be charged with murder.

and BTW, asking for an explanation on your position is not trolling. Or is it trolling whenever anyone disagrees with you?

I can think of a few other wars that probably need to have the same standards applied.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Unlawful combatant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An unlawful combatant, illegal combatant or unprivileged combatant/belligerent is a civilian or military personnel who directly engages in armed conflict in violation of the laws of war. An unlawful combatant may be detained or prosecuted under the domestic law of the detaining state for such action; subject of course to international treaties on justice and human rights such as everyones right to a fair trial.[1][2]

Every person in enemy hands must be either a prisoner of war and, as such, be covered by the Third Convention; or a civilian covered by the Fourth Convention. Furthermore, "There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law",[5] because in the opinion of the ICRC, "If civilians directly engage in hostilities, they are considered 'unlawful' or 'unprivileged' combatants or belligerents (the treaties of humanitarian law do not expressly contain these terms). They may be prosecuted under the domestic law of the detaining state for such action".[1][6]

The Geneva Conventions do not recognize any lawful status for combatants in conflicts not involving two or more nation states. A state in such a conflict is legally bound only to observe Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions and may ignore all the other Articles. But each one of them is completely free—and should be encouraged—to apply all or part of the remaining Articles of the Convention.[7]

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Still comes down to the former SS member did nothing wrong. He summarily executed a "non combatant". The "non combatant" falls under the laws of the detaining country.