Absolutely Despicable

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Boy, 11, fighting for life after severe beating

By Irene Thomaidis, QMI Agency

TORONTO — A 11-year-old Toronto boy is fighting for his life Friday morning after a severe beating. His mother was arrested at the scene.
Police were called to an apartment complex in the west end of the city around 1:10 a.m. They found the boy lying face down on a 12th-floor balcony, according to a local television report.
One resident claim the boy’s mother was reciting the Lord’s Prayer as she was led away. Another resident claims the woman was cackling and blowing kisses at bystanders from the back of the police cruiser.
Neighbour Samuel Jeon claims he heard one of the other kids in the apartment saying their mom was “possessed by the devil.”
Police would not confirm that a refrigerator may have been dropped on the boy at one point. A 911 dispatcher reportedly took the call from a boy whose voice was down to a whisper. Police could not say if the caller was also the victim.

The 11-year-old’s sister may also have been arrested at the scene, according to reports.
The boy was taken to hospital where he is listed in critical condition.
Two other children in the home — aged 6 and 8 — were reportedly put in the care of Children’s Aid. No charges have been laid at this time

Boy, 11, fighting for life after severe beating - Crime - Canoe.ca

Maybe we need to seriously consider parenting licensing...because this woman surely should not have had any children

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Boy, 11, fighting for life after severe beating

By Irene Thomaidis, QMI Agency

TORONTO — A 11-year-old Toronto boy is fighting for his life Friday morning after a severe beating. His mother was arrested at the scene.
Police were called to an apartment complex in the west end of the city around 1:10 a.m. They found the boy lying face down on a 12th-floor balcony, according to a local television report.
One resident claim the boy’s mother was reciting the Lord’s Prayer as she was led away. Another resident claims the woman was cackling and blowing kisses at bystanders from the back of the police cruiser.
Neighbour Samuel Jeon claims he heard one of the other kids in the apartment saying their mom was “possessed by the devil.”
Police would not confirm that a refrigerator may have been dropped on the boy at one point. A 911 dispatcher reportedly took the call from a boy whose voice was down to a whisper. Police could not say if the caller was also the victim.

The 11-year-old’s sister may also have been arrested at the scene, according to reports.
The boy was taken to hospital where he is listed in critical condition.
Two other children in the home — aged 6 and 8 — were reportedly put in the care of Children’s Aid. No charges have been laid at this time

Boy, 11, fighting for life after severe beating - Crime - Canoe.ca

Maybe we need to seriously consider parenting licensing...because this woman surely should not have had any children

It just doesn't get any sadder than that.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
A fridge? wtf.

If the description of the mother's behaviour are accurate she will likely make an insanity plea.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

I'm willing to bet her children, even the one who died, might argue their right to exist

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Look at all the crazies out there who claim they do it because the child is of the Devil
or its God's will or whatever. We have entire religious cults devoting their lives to this
kind of abuse in the name of some intended good. These people are a combination
of just plain bad and sick at the same time.
Perhaps there should be a parenting licence system. Oh wait that would turn out like
the gun registry and all children would be hidden in the basement. I think maybe it an
indication we should pay more attention to child rearing than we do to global warming
or Entertainment Tonight.
How could a parent to that?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm willing to bet her children, even the one who died, might argue their right to exist

True. My father once argued that a child should be born to two parents who are ready and willing to do everything necessary to care for the child. I didn't disagree but given his performance as a father this argument was one against my existence as he was not ready and took off. He shut up when I pointed that out. Id rather have horrible parents who do a lousy job then go off and live my life than to not exist at all.

Licensing parents would be extreme and next to impossible to enforce unless we want to look to China or North Korea for tips on how to procreate and raise children. I'm not. Regardless of what steps are taken children will be born to people who are unprepared or just totally unsuitable to be parents to put it mildly. Cases like this happen nearly everywhere and have for as long as people have been having children. Like rape, murder, theft and other crimes it will likely never totally disappear no matter what we do. Attempting to put some form of eugenics into practice seems a bit too far.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Only way to enforce would be either forced sterilization or forced adoption.

Both of which were once practiced and abused. My grandmother was forced to give up her first child because she was not married. May not have been a legal requirement but when you are facing a family willing to disown you and the doors closing on good jobs it might as well have been.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Both of which were once practiced and abused. My grandmother was forced to give up her first child because she was not married. May not have been a legal requirement but when you are facing a family willing to disown you and the doors closing on good jobs it might as well have been.

I never said I agreed with the approach but it would be he only way for it to work.

It's not right that these parents do what they do but the government is the last group I would want enforcing it.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
C'mon here folks; all this talk of licensing parents does absolutely nothing for the onset of some form of mental illness.

Were the neighbours who will probably privately admit there was "something wrong with this woman" able to act on their suspicions with some form of effective immediate adjudication by qualified personnel, this kid may not have had to suffer the beating at all.

We dismantled all of our old mental "warehousing" institutions in an attempt to remove the terrible living conditions and lack of treatment within them but what did we replace them with in the meantime ~ that's right, NOTHING!

Now the mentally ill are left to fend for themselves by living on the street or as in this case sequestered in an apartment building where folks are known for keeping their eyes on the floor when passing in the hallways and minding their own business. A person could easily flounder with a serious emotional problem without anyone being the wiser until they have a "break" and go completely off the rails as in this case.

A study done years ago hypothesized there were all too many suicides happening behind the wheel of the family sedan; not so bad a thing when it involved only the individual and say a bridge abutment but when that person decides to steer into the oncoming traffic while in that "emotional break" many families can be impacted.

We shall soon realize our folly with consigning mental illness to the category of "that which shall not be spoken of". The sooner we treat it as any other illness, the better it will be for all of us.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Um, yeah. I wasn't even remotely serious about the licensing suggestion. I was just really, really making the point that this woman should not be raising any children.

Ok, but since we're talking about theoretical children here, would they have any rights to exist if they don't actually exist? Again, not that I'm serious on the whole licensing the parents thing but, if we're talking about it we're not talking retroactive and not even talking about in the womb. We're talking preconception conception, when children are just a concept and not a living human being. In some sci-fi fantasy land where people need to be tested prior to having children, those that are found to be unworthy, unreliable as parents would be barred from having kids. So those children don't exist, have never existed, will never exist.

So if we were to apply to this situation we're moving back in time to before these children actually existed, so how can they make any argument?

Again, all hypothetical.

ETA: She's been charged with attempted murder.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/08/20130830-073147.html

Last edited: