PM's Arctic Tour Control- Reporter - I have a question - Oops Bring in Security

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
PM's Arctic Tour Control- Reporter - I have a question - Oops Bring in Security.

He was asking a question that Canadians would like to know the answer to as well.

Stephen Harper’s northern tour ends with ugly tussle between Chinese reporter and PM’s RCMP security detail | National Post

RAGLAN MINE, Que. — Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s tour of the North ended Friday with a dust-up involving a Chinese journalist who was prevented from asking a question about rules surrounding foreign takeovers.

Li Xue Jiang of the People’s Daily, China’s largest newspaper, has been following the week-long tour.

The Prime Minister’s Office limits the number of questions during public events and other journalists on the tour offered Li the opportunity to query Harper.

When staff refused to recognize him, Li tried to take the microphone, triggering a tussle involving one of the prime minister’s communication officers that ended with him being hauled to the back of the room by RCMP security staff.

He was not detained, nor charged.

“It’s not fair,” Li said afterward. “I would have liked the prime minister to clarify the federal government policy and regulations towards foreign state-owned companies investment because it is not clear since the Nexen takeover. People in China would want to know.”

Last winter CNOOC Ltd., China’s state oil company, was given the green light to take over and Nexen Inc., in a $15.1 billion deal for the Alberta oil patch giant.

But Harper erected new barriers to foreign investment by state-owned companies.

There are 10 journalists following Harper on this week’s tour, and his availabilities have been tightly scripted, with only four or five questions allowed before they are cut off.

The incident took place at the end of an event at the Raglan Mine in northern Quebec, where Harper was lauding a renewable energy project funded by the federal