Nidal Hasan convicted of Fort Hood killings

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
By Billy Kenber

Nidal Malik Hasan faces a possible death sentence after being found guilty Friday of killing 13 people and wounding dozens more when he opened fire at Fort Hood army post in Texas in November 2009.

Hasan, 42, a U.S.-born Muslim who acted as his own attorney, was convicted of 13 charges of premeditated murder and 32 of attempted murder by a panel of senior officers. The case will now move to the sentencing phase, during which further witnesses may be called and Hasan could testify before a punishment is handed down.

Hasan, who was paralyzed from the chest down and confined to a wheelchair after being shot by an Army civilian police officer while being apprehended, admitted responsibility for the shooting at the start of the trial, saying he had “switched sides.”

Aside from a very brief opening statement and a few questions of prosecution witnesses, the military psychiatrist has shown little interest in mounting a defense. Hasan, who was prohibited by military law from entering a guilty plea, declined to call any witnesses, testify himself or give a closing argument.

At a pre-trial hearing, the judge, Col. Tara Osborn, ruled that Hasan could not defend himself by arguing that he carried out the killings to protect Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.

Instead, the defendant chose to make his case to the public through a series of communiques and authorized leaks to newspapers, arguing that he was waging jihad because of the U.S.’s ”illegal and immoral aggression against Muslims” in Iraq and Afghanistan. In another document, it emerged he had told a mental health panel that “if I died by lethal injection I would still be a martyr.”

Nidal Hasan convicted of Fort Hood killings - The Washington Post

Personally, being a conservative, I'd go for the firing squad.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Not a big surprise is it. I'd be surprised in he gets the death penalty though.. which is usually just a device for southern governors to avoid getting a 'wimp' label.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Justice is served without any boogiemen.

Yeah....when a guy is in close contact with a primary figure of Al Queda, then runs through a military base shooting people at random, crying out "Allah Akbar" thje entire time, then states he has declared war on the USA.....well, you know, it is obviously a case of workplace violence as opposed to Islamic looney terrorism.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Radical Islamic Apologism is a kooky but sad condition to suffer from.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah....when a guy is in close contact with a primary figure of Al Queda, then runs through a military base shooting people at random, crying out "Allah Akbar" thje entire time, then states he has declared war on the USA.....well, you know, it is obviously a case of workplace violence as opposed to Islamic looney terrorism.
Or is that what we were led to believe like Tamaramadingdong writing a letter while hiding in a boat and having wounds that were non-existent?

And people wonder why I have zero trust in media or Gov?