Motorcyclist crashes into black bear on B.C. highway

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Motorcyclist crashes into black bear on B.C. highway

A speeding motorcyclist's collision with a young black bear on a B.C. highway has been captured on tape by a video camera mounted on the driver's helmet.

The accident happened on Highway 7 in B.C.'s Fraser Valley on June 30.

In the video, the driver is focused on his speedometer, which shows him accelerating from 0 km/h to 140 km/h in less than 20 seconds. At the same time, a passing train scares a young black bear, causing it to run across the highway directly in front of the motorcycle.

The driver collides with the bear and is ejected from his motorcycle. Police say he suffered significant, but non-life threatening injuries.

The bear simply walks away from the accident.

Police say they released the video to illustrate why drivers should obey speed limits and pay attention to the road.

"This is a perfect example. The video clearly shows nobody else on the road, and a nice clear dry day. Who would expect a bear to run across the road?" said RCMP Cpl. Robert McDonald in a statement.

""While motorists don't often need to avoid bears, every day drivers may need to react to events such as dogs running out suddenly in front of their vehicle, or a cyclist swerving to avoid something, or even a child running out of a driveway.""

source: Motorcyclist crashes into black bear on B.C. highway - British Columbia - CBC News

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I watched a guy I was following in my F15 (F150 with a 0 broken off) hit a deer on his motorcycle. NASTY!!!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I watched a guy I was following in my F15 (F150 with a 0 broken off) hit a deer on his motorcycle. NASTY!!!
Best motorcycle roads are right here in the Kootenays. 10s of thousands come through Nakusp every summer. We lose up to 10 bikers a year to deer and going too fast into tight curves in the road. Guys and girls riding crotch rockets drive way too fast for any roads, especially if they are not familiar with them. Just a week ago a girl hit a deer and three of her companions piled into her. One was air lifted out, condition unknown. A few years ago a guy on a Harley had a deer jump out in front of him and he ended up cutting in half with his face. He is now a paraplegic. I've ridden bike since 1964. I'm still in one piece because I don't drive like a lunatic and am very aware of my surroundings. Sad, but sometimes I think some of these casualties have a death wish. Deer in North America cause a lot of deaths every year, mostly because people are not paying attention. Bear collisions and deaths are very rare.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Best motorcycle roads are right here in the Kootenays. 10s of thousands come through Nakusp every summer. We lose up to 10 bikers a year to deer and going too fast into tight curves in the road. Guys and girls riding crotch rockets drive way too fast for any roads, especially if they are not familiar with them. Just a week ago a girl hit a deer and three of her companions piled into her. One was air lifted out, condition unknown. A few years ago a guy on a Harley had a deer jump out in front of him and he ended up cutting in half with his face. He is now a paraplegic. I've ridden bike since 1964. I'm still in one piece because I don't drive like a lunatic and am very aware of my surroundings. Sad, but sometimes I think some of these casualties have a death wish. Deer in North America cause a lot of deaths every year, mostly because people are not paying attention. Bear collisions and deaths are very rare.

Yep, you gotta watch for critters BEARING down on you!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I sold mine a few years back. I don't have the bravado and began to fear laying it down or getting smoked by somebody. I sold off my sled too.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I ain't watching it... just saying ... now if the caption read "and both are good", then I'd watch it...

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I sold mine a few years back. I don't have the bravado and began to fear laying it down or getting smoked by somebody. I sold off my sled too.
I didn't ride for while, couldn't afford it. About 5 years ago I was in Kelowna hospital with congestive heart failure, couldn't breath from water retention. As I lay there thinking I'm gonna die, I think to myself, if I get out of here alive, I'm getting a bike. Life is just too short. When I had my heart attack at 50, a friend said to me, "you made me buy a Harley. When I heard you had a heart attack, I said, life is too short to wait any longer." I would rather go out in a blaze of glory than waste away in a hospital bed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't care how good a rider anyone is.... other people are morons, and bikes have no safety cages. End of story imo. I've known riders who've hurt themselves, but I've also known riders who've been hurt by others. Driven into head on, because someone didn't see them. No thanks. If someone's going to drive into me head on accidentally, I'm gonna have air bags, and crumple zones, in my favour.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't care how good a rider anyone is.... other people are morons, and bikes have no safety cages. End of story imo. I've known riders who've hurt themselves, but I've also known riders who've been hurt by others. Driven into head on, because someone didn't see them. No thanks. If someone's going to drive into me head on accidentally, I'm gonna have air bags, and crumple zones, in my favour.
yeah I can't do it...an acquaintance of mine is currently in hospital recovering because some moron crossed the road, hit her partner head on and she ran right down the side of the car...looked like she was going to lose her leg but they managed to save it. Her partner was not so lucky.

They were just out enjoying the long weekend...it's a long haul having to learn to walk again. I'm too old for that crap.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Other than traffic, some skin lost riding motocross and trail riding the worst thing I experienced was hitting a bird. It's like getting punched. I got it in the shoulder but if it had of hit my neck, it would have probably taken me out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I don't miss eating dragonflies. That hurts and they are bitter. Sledding was a blast but my F150 4x4 has a really good heater and I can carry more stuff out to the ice fishing shack than on a sled.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
""This is a perfect example. The video clearly shows nobody else on the road, and a nice clear dry day. Who would expect a bear to run across the road?" said RCMP Cpl. Robert McDonald in a statement.""

Who would not expect a bear to run across a road....................or do anything else it wanted to do?? Pretty faulty reasoning, Bobby.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

A wise CC'er you are, Petros. No one is allowed any mistakes on bikes................and we all make mistakes.

Sleds just cost too much............:lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is no speed limit on a sled. My old Yamaka did 160+km/h in a pinch. It's just like flying the way the suspension on modern sleds take the bumps. Actually I did plenty of flying on it. Approaches were the best to jump.