Welfare pays more than work in most states

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Looking for a good paying job? Well, look no further.

No, really, stop looking. In 35 states, welfare benefits pay more than a minimum wage job, according to a new study by the libertarian Cato Institute, and in 13 states welfare pays more than $15 per hour.

“One of the single best ways to climb out of poverty is taking a job, but as long as welfare provides a better standard of living than an entry-level job, recipients will continue to choose it over work,” said Michael Tanner, senior policy analyst and co-author of the study.

The study is an updated version of one Tanner put out in 1995 that estimated the full value of welfare benefits packages across the states. The 1995 study found that such tax-free welfare benefits greatly exceeded the poverty level and “their dollar value was greater than the amount of take-home income a worker would receive from an entry-level job.”

Despite efforts to curb welfare spending, many welfare programs and benefits have continued to outpace the income that many workers can receive for working an entry-level job, which disincentivizes work, according to the study.

“The current welfare system provides such a high level of benefits that it acts as a disincentive for work,” reads the study. “Welfare currently pays more than a minimum-wage job in 35 states, even after accounting for the Earned Income Tax Credit, and in 13 states it pays more than $15 per hour.”

According to the study, the federal government funds 126 separate programs designed to support low-income earners. Seventy-two of these programs provide cash or in-kind benefits to recipients. This is on top of additional welfare programs operated by state and local governments.

Welfare recipients in Hawaii get the most benefits, according to Tanner, at $29.13 per hour — or $60,590 pre-tax income annually. However, the state’s minimum wage is only $7.25 per hour, according to the Labor Department. Hawaiians on welfare also earn 167 percent of the median salary in the state, which is only $36,275.

$7.25 an hour? Jesus Christ!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If it pays that well no wonder people abuse the system. Giving that much out is asking to be abused.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
All this, of course, assumes one is eligible for all of the benefits in the various packages.

Generally, if one is not the custodial parent of a child, one is eligible for none of it.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
so minimum wage jobs don't pay livable wages, while welfare does, or closer to livable wages than minimum wage.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If it pays that well no wonder people abuse the system. Giving that much out is asking to be abused.

You got that right... and abused it is!

And my state is #3!

All this, of course, assumes one is eligible for all of the benefits in the various packages.

Very true. They just need to find ways to become eligible and there are groups that can help. I just saw a commercial for one.

Generally, if one is not the custodial parent of a child, one is eligible for none of it.

And the non-custodial parent can get other entitlements and shack up.

It's a great system.

so minimum wage jobs don't pay livable wages, while welfare does, or closer to livable wages than minimum wage.

Of course they don't... they're not intended to. When I worked at Burger King I made minimum wage when I started at 16. Was I intending on staying there behind the Broiler or Fry Station for the rest of my life? Of course not.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Of course they don't... they're not intended to. When I worked at Burger King I made minimum wage when I started at 16. Was I intending on staying there behind the Broiler or Fry Station for the rest of my life? Of course not.

um yes anyone who works should get a livable wage regardless of the job, excluding high school students. you seem to be under the impression fast food work is for kids, which is pretty funny. fast food is huge for economies, westerners particularly LOVE their fast food. mcdonalds alone makes tens of billions of dollars, and according to wikipedia they have nearly 2 million employees. how good do you think business would be if that 2 million solely comprised of 15-16 year olds? they need a mixture mature workers who can better deal with moron customers and have experienced problem solvers. these people are actually vital to the economy because of how popular fast food is yet no one treats them like that. they're massively underpaid and barely above the poverty line. i'm glad many are going on strike , they need to fight for livable wages because they deserve it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
um yes anyone who works should get a livable wage regardless of the job, excluding high school students. you seem to be under the impression fast food work is for kids, which is pretty funny. fast food is huge for economies, westerners particularly LOVE their fast food. mcdonalds alone makes tens of billions of dollars, and according to wikipedia they have nearly 2 million employees. how good do you think business would be if that 2 million solely comprised of 15-16 year olds? they need a mixture mature workers who can better deal with moron customers and have experienced problem solvers. these people are actually vital to the economy because of how popular fast food is yet no one treats them like that. they're massively underpaid and barely above the poverty line. i'm glad many are going on strike , they need to fight for livable wages because they deserve it.

They do have a mix... they're called Managers and Asst. Managers.

If you walk into an entry level job at a retail store, super market, fast food joint... you can't seriously expect to make a living wage right from the start can you?

i'm glad many are going on strike , they need to fight for livable wages because they deserve it.

Many aren't, a few are.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
they need mature and experienced people also dealing with the customers. mcdonald's wouldn't be a multibillion dollar corporation without them.
i don't know how you're seriously asking me if i should seriously expect a living wage for working. there is little or no incentive to work otherwise.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
People are not abusing the system at all. If welfare pays more that a paying job the
employers are taking advantage of the system. Its time minimum wage laws were
revisited. If someone has a family, to feed clothe and house and if they go to work
requiring an added expense to do so it makes it harder to feed his kids.
What kind of a society would blame the victims? I can understand if someone just
wants to stay home and do nothing that is one thing and not a good thing, But when
wages are so low you can't afford to go to work that is an inherent problem in the
society.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are income and rent supplements for working people who fall short. Welfare for the working doesn't makes sense either.

It's an incentive for employers to keep on underpaying employees and have the rest of us take care of their workers on our dime.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
i don't know how you're seriously asking me if i should seriously expect a living wage for working. there is little or no incentive to work otherwise.

Define the necessary costs of living. There are a lot of moving parts involved in that analysis.

These numbers are all over the map depending on what city/town you live in let alone what part of that city.

Lots of seniors at the fast food joints in my city working mornings and days.

The frightening element of this relates to the notion that many seniors need this income to supplement their living costs.... By in large, this demographic should have greater resources available than a kid that is just starting out.

Not a great situation for the future of many people and communities if these pressures exist all throughout the various demographics.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
they need mature and experienced people also dealing with the customers. mcdonald's wouldn't be a multibillion dollar corporation without them.

Again... that is why they have Managers and Asst. Managers, etc. All chains have them and programs to become them.

But you can't expect to walk up to the counter of BK (for example) apply for a job and expect to make a living wage when you are going to be working the drive through and broiler. You cannot demand it or feel entitled to it because you want it.

Really? Because here in Canada, kids have to attend school, so adults work the tills during the day, even when they aren't managers.

That is true... same thing when I was a kid. Many, if not all, had spouses that worked and that was their job for extra income and had worked there for years. It gave them extra money for the household.

When I was younger I worked 3 jobs. My main job and my two side jobs ( working behind a deli counter after work, and landscaping and deli some weekends) that made just a little more than minimum wage. The side jobs weren't careers... it was to make extra cash.

Nobody is entitled to anything.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Again... that is why they have Managers and Asst. Managers, etc. All chains have them and programs to become them.

But you can't expect to walk up to the counter of BK (for example) apply for a job and expect to make a living wage when you are going to be working the drive through and broiler. You cannot demand it or feel entitled to it because you want it.

Yes all people should be paid livable wages, how are you even arguing this fact? Not wanting to be treated like a slave isn't entitlement. As well a multibillion dollar corporation doesn't have any excuse not to pay livable wages.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes all people should be paid livable wages, how are you even arguing this fact? Not wanting to be treated like a slave isn't entitlement. As well a multibillion dollar corporation doesn't have any excuse not to pay livable wages.

Here we go... minimum wage is now a slave wage. Geez.

No... we ALL have to start somewhere. When I started my apprenticeship it was not a living wage. Meaning I could not live on my own with just that. But as I progressed I got raises and then it became a living wage. In the mean time I took an extra job to make things easier.

These days people think they are entitled to a start up wage that is a living wage... right out of the gate.

As Tony Soprano said...

"You're entitled to s***!"

And besides... if you are going into a job that you know is minimum wage then you know what kind of job it is. Bagging groceries, stocking shelves, handing people their Quarter Pounders. I don't give a bleep how much the CEO makes, those jobs are minimum wage jobs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The frightening element of this relates to the notion that many seniors need this income to supplement their living costs.... By in large, this demographic should have greater resources available than a kid that is just starting out.

Not a great situation for the future of many people and communities if these pressures exist all throughout the various demographics.
There is nothing you can do about inflation.