Manning Sentenced to 35 Years

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bradley Manning, the U.S. soldier convicted of the biggest breach of classified data in the nation's history, was sentenced to 35 years in a military prison Wednesday.

The 25-year-old private first class faced up to 90 years for turning over more than 700,000 classified files, battlefield videos and diplomatic cables to the pro-transparency website WikiLeaks, in a case that has commanded international attention since 2010.

The judge hearing Manning's court-martial, Col. Denise Lind, ignored prosecutors' call for a 60-year sentence but didn't give in to defense laywers who asked her not to "rob him of his youth."

Manning was working as a low-level intelligence analyst in Baghdad when he handed over the documents, catapulting WikiLeaks and its founder, Julian Assange, into the international spotlight.

WikiLeaks Soldier Manning Sentenced to 35 Years

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Boom... 35 long years.

Eligible for parole in 8 years and the big part...

Dishonorable Discharge

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Way to much time still.. the US Gov't is trying to send a message to whistle blowers..

Hopefully he will be released in 8 years, I wonder if there was anything cut off for time served and I wonder if the military has an eligibility for pardon, I was always under the impression in a military court 35 years, is just that 35 years..

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The President can pardon him... the sentence can be reduced by another military judge (I'm guessing)... another trial.

But I say he does the minimum plus a few more and that Dishonorable Discharge is going to be waiting like an albatross for his neck. That is the harshest of the penalties IMO. At least Manning knows where his next meals are coming from for the next few years.

I was always under the impression in a military court 35 years, is just that 35 years..

Nah... you can get out of the brig or military prison if they want to let you go.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Way to much time still.. the US Gov't is trying to send a message to whistle blowers..

Hopefully he will be released in 8 years, I wonder if there was anything cut off for time served and I wonder if the military has an eligibility for pardon, I was always under the impression in a military court 35 years, is just that 35 years..

I don't hope he'll be released in 8 years. Passing on classified material for money should be a capital crime. Surprised it isn't.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Glad he gets prison time. Should probably get a firing squad.
What's the big deal about a dishounorable discgarge? Idoubt he would want to re enlist anyway.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Glad he gets prison time. Should probably get a firing squad.
What's the big deal about a dishounorable discgarge? Idoubt he would want to re enlist anyway.

Well a Dishonorable Discharge carries a punishment that stays with you the rest of your life. It is basically like being a felon... but worse. He'll be lucky to get a job at McDonalds.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Its like having a criminal record. Makes it very difficult to get any good job.

Depends on what you call a good job I guess. i work in construction an logging where many without gr12 make over a hundred grand a year. If a criminal record was an issue there would be a severe shortage of workers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Its like having a criminal record. Makes it very difficult to get any good job.

A felony record that states you've been Dishonorably Discharged by the military. It will pop right up in any basic check. Most employers won't even bother with an interview after that gem pops up.

Depends on what you call a good job I guess. i work in construction an logging where many without gr12 make over a hundred grand a year. If a criminal record was an issue there would be a severe shortage of workers.

It is a much more harsh than a simple criminal record. It is not illegal for a private company to hire, but most wouldn't bother. I doubt Manning is going to be a logger at any rate.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A felony record that states you've been Dishonorably Discharged by the military. It will pop right up in any basic check. Most employers won't even bother with an interview after that gem pops up.

It is a much more harsh than a simple criminal record. It is not illegal for a private company to hire, but most wouldn't bother. I doubt Manning is going to be a logger at any rate.

Other than banks or government what employer does a criminal record cheque?

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I wonder what the drone 'pilots' who murdered two journalists, killed other non-combatants, injured 2 children.. which Manning exposed.. in a completely speculative and unwarranted attack.. on these 'sub-humans'.. collateral damage. Medals probably

Collateral Murder - Wikileaks - Iraq - YouTube

There's a fascist conspiracy gathering in the NSA, CIA and other 'Security' Agencies in the U.S... fully supported by allied agencies .. in Europe and Canada. They're probaby sorry they don't have the electric guillotine the Nazis used to dispatch 'traitors' in the ranks.. not yet, anyway.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder what the drone 'pilots' who murdered two journalists, killed other non-combatants, injured 2 children.. which Manning exposed.. in a completely speculative and unwarranted attack.. on these 'sub-humans'.. collateral damage. Medals probably.
One of the soldiers who was on the ground when that happened has spoken out. I'll find out who and what he said and post it.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I'm not surprsied at the length of his sentence. He swore an oath as a soldier. Too bad his own vanity sucked him in to the whole Assange cult thing. I give him some credit though, because it did reveal evidence of war crimes and lies by the US government--these are things that people should blow the whistle on.

The whole Apache helo "collateral Murder" attack was a farce. It turned out that the folks the Reuters reporters were with had an RPG and an AK-47 and were probably active insurgents at the time of the attack. Sure they didn't need to kill unarmed guys, but, hey it's war. Iraq was a particularly nasty war. Unarmed people get fragged all the time, sometimes by malevoloence, mostly through bad luck. I can see why the powers that be want to keep that a secret. The war was unpopular enough without telling people all the nastiness going on behind the scenes.

Also too bad the whole gang in the Abu Ghraib rape/torture/kill fest are all walking free now. They should have got that kind of time.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I wonder what the drone 'pilots' who murdered two journalists, killed other non-combatants, injured 2 children.. which Manning exposed.. in a completely speculative and unwarranted attack.. on these 'sub-humans'.. collateral damage. Medals probably

I wonder why anyone should listen to a fool who doesn't know the difference between a drone and an Apache helicopter, even though it is quite clearly stated at the beginning of the video he posted that the incident involved two Apache gunships.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Other than banks or government what employer does a criminal record cheque?

Lots do. I was asked.

Oh brother... try learning facts about this. Start with ANY facts. Good grief.

I wonder why anyone should listen to a fool who doesn't know the difference between a drone and an Apache helicopter, even though it is quite clearly stated at the beginning of the video he posted that the incident involved two Apache gunships.

Exactly.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
One of the soldiers who was on the ground when that happened has spoken out. I'll find out who and what he said and post it.

I saw an interview with him. He was not happy with what happened. But... Yes there were journalists killed and yes they were imbedded with insurgents. Not a good place to be with Apaches flying around.