Alberta senior charged for shooting at would-be intruder

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CALGARY -- Police have charged a senior with firearms-related offences for allegedly opening fire after someone tried to smash their way into his home.Police believe Gary Paul Bucci, 68, went to a basement window when a man smashed through it Monday night, and threatened the would-be intruder to stay out.

It is alleged that after getting ammunition, Bucci returned to the window and fired a .22 calibre rifle several times, but the suspect had already fled on a bike.

Bucci is charged with unsafe storage of firearm and careless use of firearm.

more

Sun News : Alberta senior charged for shooting at would-be intruder

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good thing farms are now miles apart or nearly every farmer would be charged for shooting at Indians who cruise through farmyards looking for anhydrous ammonia for making meth.

If it were reported it's easy to say "I was shooting at coyotes".

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cops are terrified that anyone would be able to protect themselves. They cannot protect us at all but...........

Well had he stopped and thought a bit after the intruder took off and simply put the ammo back into storage or better yet, left it there, without firing off those unnecessary shots as the thief had already left by then, he'd be skating.

No charge of unsafe storage of firearm, no charge of unsafe discharging of a firearm. No charge at all as it would have simply been the word of the thief against his if the thief was stupid enough to report the guy threatening him.

You confront a guy breaking a window with an unloaded firearm and he takes the hint and buggers off. What kind of stupid do you have to be to then go load the thing up and fire a number of random shots out through that casement window? Duuuh!.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well had he stopped and thought a bit after the intruder took off and simply put the ammo back into storage or better yet, left it there, without firing off those unnecessary shots as the thief had already left by then, he'd be skating.

No charge of unsafe storage of firearm, no charge of unsafe discharging of a firearm. No charge at all as it would have simply been the word of the thief against his if the thief was stupid enough to report the guy threatening him.

You confront a guy breaking a window with an unloaded firearm and he takes the hint and buggers off. What kind of stupid do you have to be to then go load the thing up and fire a number of random shots out through that casement window? Duuuh!.
Correct. Very poor firearms safety practice.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Takes a special kind of idiot to point an unloaded rifle at anyone. Good way to wind up dead.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

Exactly, he could have shot an innocent kid. The guy's an idiot.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd be in a rage if his shots out his window were in my house's direction. But I'd be equally enraged if he faced jail time for it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What a hell of a mess we have collectively created. We are not allowed to
defend ourselves but the law can't protect us. The biggest reason is we now
live in urban societies rather than rural ones. We have different generations
and cultures living in close proximity to each other with no understanding of
how each other thinks or what the state of mind of our neighbour is.
We have people who are granola eating pacifists, living next door to people
who would plot to honor kill their daughter and rednecks who just fight for
the fact they have a chip on their shoulder. We are suspicious of each other,
for others they have no respect for anything and virtually all these groups
believe there is an instant solution to everything not understanding that societies
solutions lie within us.
This poor bugg*r will end up in court and prosecuted not because he was a bad
person but because authorities and the legal system know if he wasn't punished
the society would end up out of control. Face it we have neither democracy nor
justice and that is a recipe for societal breakdown. We are lemmings dancing on
the cliff's edge

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not afraid to protect myself but I'm afraid of the consequences.

There are no laws against discharging a sawed off rake and it scares the sh*t out of the young A-Bros that come lurking in my yard when a 6ft 200lb screaming man comes running at them with the sharpened tines glistering in the rays of the yard light.

Someday some idiot will get all 12 tines and end up needing stitches.

Will it land me before a judge, who knows but in the mean time...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hell yeah. a .22 short won't flatten a tire and the ricochet doesn't even leave a bruise.

A .177 pellet gun is 1200fps and a .22 short is 1050fps. Both are great for killing birds but that's about it.

Velocities of projectiles fired from airguns are usually specified in ft/sec
or m/sec. In this discussion, velocity will be expressed in ft/sec. Low
powered airguns launch projectiles at 250-300 ft/sec while high powered break
action models may drive pellets at 1,000 ft/sec or more.

It is the velocity of the projectiles fired from airguns that defines some
uses of the guns. An air rifle that fires pellets at 1,000 ft/sec is a high
powered model. Such a rifle is suitable for all types of plinking as well as
pest control. The multi-pump Benjamin 392 and 397 and Sheridan Blue Streak and
Silver Streak are also suitable for all types of plinking as well as pest
control. On the other hand, lower powered airguns are suitable for target
shooting and plinking.
.22 short or .177 air. Both great for kids who like to shoot varmints or "plinking".

Plinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hell yeah. a .22 short won't flatten a tire

Does a tire have the same tensile strength as YOU?

Can I run you down the highway? Sorry, but, what a tire will hold up to in a discussion about projectiles has nothing to do with what a human body will hold up to. I've seen .22's punch through plenty, to know better than to fire one off willy nilly in town.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And? You don't think the extra 800fps doesn't makes a difference or they are the same? You're dad? So you haven't pissed around with them much?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Directionality and tensile strength matter immensely, and I wouldn't count on my neighbour's 'plinking' to be hitting in the right manner for either factor