95 year old alleged demented man jailed for alleged killing

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh good. I am so happy to hear that this facility exists. I was getting worried about who would take care of me when I completely lose it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is a very important and serious matter. I hope the authorities deal with it in a spirit of justice, whilst remaining sensitive to the significant nuances presented by the circumstances.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is a very important and serious matter. I hope the authorities deal with it in a spirit of justice, whilst remaining sensitive to the significant nuances presented by the circumstances.

This happened less than a mile from where I live and I really wonder what's the point? I doubt if he understands what's happened and processing the incident for trial is futile. From what I can understand self defense hasn't been ruled out.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you are suffering from the alleged illness you are not responsible for those actions
It is the responsibility of the authorities to ensure others are safe. You cannot put
someone on trial who does not understand what they have done.
Besides in younger days we settle some of issues with fists. I remember well those
days. Again the fight was with fists not knives or chains or guns or the other things
the cowards use now a days. Those were the days when we were young and stupid
I am glad they passed cause sometimes it hurt.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I just heard on the radio the 95 year old appeared in court this morning on a charge of murder. Didn't catch what degree it is. Absolutely frickin' ridiculous. The man suffers from dementia.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What degree of dementia?

Sorry, but, whether it's 'ridiculous' or not is what a trial will find out.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

These cases will only become more common.

What degree of dementia?

It will not go to trial
Both men were living in the Polson Special Care Facility — a secure facility at the Vernon Jubilee Hospital that provides care for people who have dementia complicated by psychiatric and behavioral issues.

Vernon RCMP says the victim died on the scene of his injuries.

Interior Health has begun an internal investigation, but has not released either of the men's names.

SFU gerontology researcher Charmaine Spencer says the criminal justice system is ill-equipped to deal with offenders suffering from serious dementia.

"In most cases when these occur, the person is cognitively impaired, has absolutely no idea what they've done or the harm they've caused," said Spencer.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
These cases will only become more common.

It will not go to trial
Both men were living in the Polson Special Care Facility — a secure facility at the Vernon Jubilee Hospital that provides care for people who have dementia complicated by psychiatric and behavioral issues.

Vernon RCMP says the victim died on the scene of his injuries.

Interior Health has begun an internal investigation, but has not released either of the men's names.

SFU gerontology researcher Charmaine Spencer says the criminal justice system is ill-equipped to deal with offenders suffering from serious dementia.

"In most cases when these occur, the person is cognitively impaired, has absolutely no idea what they've done or the harm they've caused," said Spencer.

His name was divulged on the radio this afternoon.

What degree of dementia?

How can a guy who is locked away with terminal dementia have a hope in hell of defending himself. He possibly doesn't even know what day it is. I blame the people who put him where he could cause harm.

This is what happens when you cut back on the tapioca.

With rising healthcare and court costs we'll all be cutting back on the tapioca!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
His name was divulged on the radio this afternoon.

How can a guy who is locked away with terminal dementia have a hope in hell of defending himself. He possibly doesn't even know what day it is. I blame the people who put him where he could cause harm.

With rising healthcare and court costs we'll all be cutting back on the tapioca!

Blame the costs cutting.