Obstetrician barred from delivering babies after severely botched births

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
An obstetrician from an Oshawa hospital is no longer permitted to deliver babies after botching two births, including one during which an infant’s skull was crushed and another where a newborn was asphyxiated.

However, Dr. Padamjit Singh will be allowed to continue performing other medical procedures, including biopsies and cyst removals, with a restricted medical licence.

The obstetrician-gynecologist, who received her medical training in India, continues to see patients out of a medical building in Bowmanville.

more

Obstetrician Dr. Padamjit Singh barred from delivering babies after severely botched births | Toronto Star

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Maybe if she claims she's saving money for a sex change and has Crohn's disease. . .

Except for her being responsible for the death of two infants and not just babysitting some potted plants. Kind of gives the story a different spin.

Of course not if your only goal is the cheap quip in every thread.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Except for her being responsible for the death of two infants and not just babysitting some potted plants. Kind of gives the story a different spin.

Of course not if your only goal is the cheap quip in every thread.
Sorry, I forgot there's a different standard for Canadian babies.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Sorry, I forgot there's a different standard for Canadian babies.

No you didn't. That the current story involves the death of children I doubt was of any concern at all. Why would it be? It was simply another opportunity for more flippant commentary.

Just to be clear, the odd flippant comment here and there, now and then, it has it's place. But one does need to be cautious about over use, least one become overly trite and predictable.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No you didn't. That the current story involves the death of children I doubt was of any concern at all. Why would it be? It was simply another opportunity for more flippant commentary.

Just to be clear, the odd flippant comment here and there, now and then, it has it's place. But one does need to be cautious about over use, least one become overly trite and predictable.
Yes'm. I shall be properly serious and respectful in the future. I'll even change my avatar to something serious and respectful.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yes'm. I shall be properly serious and respectful in the future. I'll even change my avatar to something serious and respectful.

Now you're over reacting, it's really not necessary to go that far. Simply endeavour not be a complete jackass in every thread you post in.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Every once in a while, I spot a detail in a story, that angers me by its inclusion.

We have many doctors in Canada who obtained their medical license in India. They are great doctors. By including the 'she got her license in India', they make it sound like we should worry that, in India they forgot to tell the doctors not to crush babies' skulls in.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Oh I'm sure there are good doctors everywhere. I've had experience with a small handful of doctors in my whole life. How do I know how 'good' any of them are really? I never had a chance to compare them side by each to another.

And, of course, someone always graduates at the bottom of the class too, no matter what their field. But they still graduate.

Seeing as how this dame committed an act of professional and was also ruled incompetent I'll say her training wasn't worth very much.

There isn't one Indian school rated in the top 200 here...

Academic Ranking of World Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy - 2012

Academic Ranking of World Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy - 2012 | 2012 Top 100 Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy | ARWU-FIELD 2012

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Oh I'm sure there are good doctors everywhere. I've had experience with a small handful of doctors in my whole life. How do I know how 'good' any of them are really? I never had a chance to compare them side by each to another.

And, of course, someone always graduates at the bottom of the class too, no matter what their field. But they still graduate.

Seeing as how this dame committed an act of professional and was also ruled incompetent I'll say her training wasn't worth very much.

Academic Ranking of World Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy - 2012 | 2012 Top 100 Universities in Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy | ARWU-FIELD 2012

No, but I still bet they all covered 'don't crush babies' skulls' on the first day. I'm pretty sure the fault of that lies with her, not her school.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Her training may not be at fault I think she is at fault. If I fail at at task it does not mean I was instructed badly.

First do no harm. Where's her conscience? If I crushed some babies skull, and while removing an ovarian cyst almost let a patient bleed out due to poor technique, I would be heading for a different career.

What is wrong with this woman, psychopathology?

Something.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
First do no harm. Where's her conscience? If I crushed some babies skull, and while removing an ovarian cyst almost let a patient bleed out due to poor technique, I would be heading for a different career.

I have to wonder why the college still allows her to practice and are her current patients informed?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have to wonder why the college still allows her to practice and are her current patients informed?
all doctors make errors and patients die, that's a given, so something here is way off

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
all doctors make errors and patients die, that's a given, so something here is way off

Yes but when not one but two patients die due to mistakes, that becomes a new ballgame altogether. Yes doctor's are human beings and human beings can and do make mistakes but the standard for doctors (as with most professionals) is very, very high. Nearly perfect kind of high with very, very few exceptions. (For which they are handsomely compensated I might add.)

So then the question I ask is, what is the standard that the College of Physicians and Surgeons adheres to?